shape
carat
color
clarity

As Promised, House Pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chi

Shiny_Rock
*sigh* congrat''s on your house...it is really sweet...so pituresque...
May you be blessed with many years filled with happy memories...
Love your house/home...congrat''s again Tybee....
21.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is so cute! I love all the detail. Keep us updated on progress.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d give up my engagement ring for a house like that! It''s amazing! This is a CITY house? I''m living in the wrong city, let me tell you...

Congrats on the house!!!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all!

Travelingal, it is a city house. The city of Atlanta is broken up into several neighborhoods.
Our house is in a neighborhood called Ormwood Park, not far from downtown Atlanta,
or Turner Stadium, or the Atlanta Zoo.

One of my favorite things about Atlanta is the neighborhoods.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Tybee, it is gorgeous!!!! Congratulations!!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Tybee,

I came back to look more then once. Such charm! I understand what you mean by cosmetic changes. I call it updating. It''s beautiful, but not quite to your tastes, so a little paint, and few changes and then it suits your personality!

My boyfriend has white cabinets in the kitchen too
3.gif
. I despise it, I have to admit. They are solid wood, but designed to look like laminate (I think it is called) drives me bonkers. Who tries to make wood look fake???

In any case, gorgeous house, and enjoy it!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
tybee i love love love your house!!! i can''t even tell its in a bustling city, you have the best of both worlds here! please keep posting pics and keep us updated on your updating!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Cute! What a great little house. I agree with Firegoddess, that''s not what I''d call a fixer upper either! You''re just updating it. All the elbow grease will just help you love it more.

As far as the grass is concerned - they have special shade varieties. I''d turn over the whole backyard adding *lots" of manure and peat and probably some new top soil - and then seed. (Seeding should be done in early spring or fall, in my New England experience - not sure if that applies to Atlanta.)

Your house, Melissa''s, and Ginger''s in Texas, make me want to move out of Metro Boston SO BADLY!!!!!!

A small condo costs 350-500+ here. UGH!

Scintillating....

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
This is awesome! I''m so excited for you! It''s just lovely and has such charm and character. It must be so quiet up there, on the hill and off the street level.

In the backyard, if you can''t grow grass, there are so many things you can do with shade-loving plants. I''m not sure what would grow in your zone but when I had a house in Wisconsin, hostas would grow like crazy with no effort whatsoever. What else did we have in the shade...? I think the bleeding hearts were in the shade and for sure lilies of the valley but they might not grow in your zone. Gosh, that was 10 years ago, my memory on gardening is so bad! Oh I could live vicariously through you! In our old victorian house we had a back porch that looked similar to your front porch. On the side of your front porch, where you''re right next to the neighbor''s porch, I have a vision of a climber plant to give you like a "wall" of privacy. We had a "wall" of grape vines on the side of our porch in a spot very structurally similar to that (which never produced grapes in our cold region) and it gave such nice privacy and lots of shade for hot summer days.

Can you post fireplace pictures? Wow, I can''t believe you have 3 of them! Even if they don''t work, it looks so pretty when you put tons of candles inside them and all light them at once.

TravelingGal--yes, we DO live in the wrong city! Can you imagine a house like that, one that we could walk all the way around, with that kind of character and a big yard? We''d pay a million + for it...

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Tybee you are so lucky! I love your house!! I wish I could come live with you and help you fix it up
3.gif
It''s going to be so cute once it''s all painted and moved in
36.gif
I love your back porch and I like the no lawn in the backyard. I would turn it into a garden with shade plants. Lawn is so boring
3.gif
Have fun
9.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
There are lots of lovely hostas hidden in between the azalia bushes.
Grass would be our best bet, we''ll try seeding in the fall. WE can''t have too many delicate plants out there because of my two
"delicate" dogs.

I LOVE the idea of planting some sort of privacy vine. Does anyone know anything about jasmine? Would that work?

Thanks for all of your thoughts all! I will post lots of pics as we update.

I LOVE candles in fireplaces Selflove. I''ll post some pics of them after I go over tonight to paint some more. The poor fireplaces have some funky paint jobs on them. We''ve got our work cut out for us, but it''s certainly a labor of love.

Tybee

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I covet your house.
2.gif
30.gif

Truly, it is amazing! I hope you will post more pics when you get it just the way you want it!

On vines...I''m not sure how "covering" jasmine would be -- it has a nore shrub-like tendency, I think. But you could look into clematis -- how much area do you need to cover? What kind of light does the area get? At my parent''s house in Jacksonville (similar climate), they have a lot of honeysuckle vine, but it seems to clump on top of the fence. Maybe it could be trained? My favorite vine is wysteria, but it is a slow grower and I''m not sure you can grow it in that zone (but I really don''t know).

OR...You could always go with kudzu!
3.gif
It''d cover up a fence right quick....and the neighbor''s house, and your house, and anything that isn''t moving for that matter!
2.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I was wrong about jasmine -- check out this one! Are you zone 6 or 7?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like wisteria could be an option after all, climate wise, but it needs a very strong structure to grown on.

I think clematis may still be your best bet. One of the nice things about clematis is the variety! Here''s a whole bunch of to browse through.

Here is sort of an encyclopedia of vines.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 6:15:51 PM
Author: fatafelice
Maybe I was wrong about jasmine -- check out this one! Are you zone 6 or 7?

Oh ya, jasmines are great climbers. You could also plant climbing roses. They get big and gorgeous!

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
What about planting a couple vines, like jasmine AND clematis? Both are easy to grow in so cal so probably in Atlanta they''d be in their right climate. Then you''d have blooms at different times. I loooooooove wisteria too!

I forgot about the dogs...that''d be a problem for a garden...and if you ever want to have kids they''d want grass too...

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so jealous! I dream about owning a house one day and yours is just gorgeous!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! What a charming house, and it's in a great part of Atlanta.

I'm sure that you're so overwhelmed by all the choices available for your updating! Lowe's and Home Depot were my second homes right after I became a homeowner- I was on a first-name basis with the paint guy there.

I was also a regular visitor to this website, and frequent viewer of the network:
http://www.diynet.com/

Tons of projects for inspiration!

ky6

Shiny_Rock
OMG! That house is not a fixer-upper at all! I rarely post anymore (too busy, wedding is next Sat), but I just HAD to get on and tell you how much I LOVE that house. Just some paint and making it your own with your furniture and pics and it will be perfect. It is so charming. I just cannot tell you how much I like that house! Congrats on the great find.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results