shape
carat
color
clarity

Artist Sophia Wallace and the Cliteracy Project

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm posting this because I stumbled upon it last night and think it's one of the most important conversations we, as a society, need to be having right now. And before anyone hits the "report concern" button for inappropriate content, please read and educate yourself so you can learn (finally) exactly WHY you think it's inappropriate. This is about half the world's human population having an organ that is reduced to nothingness, non-existence, and insignificance, when in fact it an integral part of our experience. Say it with me now--Clitoris.

http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/cliteracy

http://www.sophiawallace.com/tedx

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so great, don't really understand why this is so taboo but glad you shared this.

It took me a while to see it because my nine year old kept walking around and that's just not a conversation I'm having today ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn|1474511187|4079438 said:
This is so great, don't really understand why this is so taboo but glad you shared this.

It took me a while to see it because my nine year old kept walking around and that's just not a conversation I'm having today ;))

Thank you for your response! I had a feeling this thread would not be warmly received, but thought it was important to post anyway in case it reached anyone who opened the links and read/watched them. I think it's a very important societal conversation to have. 9 might be a bit young for such a conversation but I liked what Ms. Wallace had to say in the TEDx about the mother at the museum addressing the 11 year old boy's question of "what is a clitoris?" She approached it succinctly and without making a big deal of it. I don't have boys, so I can't imagine how I would have that conversation or at what age, but it's an important part of life and I think a necessary conversation to have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting, Mon.

I learned something.
I thought it was just that little button at the top.

The things you learn on PS. :clap:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anatomy is just anatomy.

If I had kids I would not discuss with my small child what these parts are actually used for since they won't be doing that for many years and I would not want to encourage my young child's experimentation, either alone or with other kids.

But the anatomy itself is just anatomy, nothing shameful, sinful, embarrassing, or dirty about it.
It's just anatomy.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474514731|4079455 said:
Anatomy is just anatomy.

If I had kids I would not discuss with my small child what these parts are actually used for since they won't be doing that for many years and I would not want to encourage my young child's experimentation, either alone or with other kids.

But the anatomy itself is just anatomy, nothing shameful, sinful, embarrassing, or dirty about it.
It's just anatomy.

Thank you for posting, Kenny. I agree with you that mature content has to be timed appropriately when dealing with children. But the knowledge and articulation on the part of a parent is paramount, as well as the willingness to discuss, I believe.

Something that has been shoved under the rug for so many years really deserves to be brought to light, which is why I posted this here almost immediately after discovering it. I also posted it on my personal Facebook page in hopes that others would see it and share. I know you don't care much for social media and that's totally cool, but it can be a good way to spread positive information such as this.

Lastly, I once saw you post here that in your opinion female genitalia was (and I'm sorry, I don't remember your exact wording) something to the effect of unattractive and gross to you. This, my friend, is part of the problem. To call anyone's body parts that they can't help having been given derogatory terms or refer to them in a negative fashion is just perpetuating this issue. If you like whatever you like, I'm pretty sure most of humanity is cool with that. Why participate in the continued belittlement of half of the world population's anatomy? I truly hope you have learned something from the links I posted. I think Sophia Wallace is an amazing human being and really deserves some kind of prize for her part in changing herstory.

As an aside: I appreciate and respect you, Kenny. I just wanted to make it clear that words are offensive and make people feel ashamed even when that is not your intent. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1474518435|4079476 said:
Lastly, I once saw you post here that in your opinion female genitalia was (and I'm sorry, I don't remember your exact wording) something to the effect of unattractive and gross to you. This, my friend, is part of the problem. To call anyone's body parts that they can't help having been given derogatory terms or refer to them in a negative fashion is just perpetuating this issue. If you like whatever you like, I'm pretty sure most of humanity is cool with that. Why participate in the continued belittlement of half of the world population's anatomy? I truly hope you have learned something from the links I posted. I think Sophia Wallace is an amazing human being and really deserves some kind of prize for her part in changing herstory.

As an aside: I appreciate and respect you, Kenny. I just wanted to make it clear that words are offensive and make people feel ashamed even when that is not your intent. :wavey:

I don't recall writing that, and would like to see it.
If I wrote what you say I wrote (and it's not just your interpretation on what I wrote) I apologize sincerely.

Yes, all human bodies deserve equal respect.
It is revolting how discrimination against is so ubiquitous around the world, even today.
Thanks for starting this thread!

And kudos to this artist for her important work!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474519005|4079477 said:
monarch64|1474518435|4079476 said:

I don't recall writing that, and would like to see it.
If I wrote what you say I wrote (and it's not just your interpretation on what I wrote) I apologize sincerely.

Yes, all human bodies deserve equal respect.
It is revolting how discrimination against is so ubiquitous around the world, even today.
Thanks for starting this thread!

And kudos to this artist for her important work!

Hey Kenny! I'm about to turn in for the night but wanted to respond. I can't remember which thread I saw you say it in, but I don't think it would have stuck in my brain if it hadn't happened. If I find it or think of which thread it was I will post it here. Sometimes we say things we don't even know register on others' radar, as I am sure you can attest to. I remember 20 years ago, hanging out with my best friend who was gay, and we both used the phrase "that's so gay!" I probably hurt him and society hurt him because it was a catchphrase around here back then. We/well, I just thought nothing of it. Dumb.

This thread was not easy for me to post. The artist even says in her TEDx talk or maybe in one of the short vids embedded within the article that she knew she was painting herself into a box. She took the chance on this project anyway, because of the overwhelming urge to get this message out to people. So essentially, this has become her life's work and she will no doubt go down in history/herstory for it. (Damn it I hate that autocorrect dislikes "herstory!" Fix that, Microsoft!!!)

I want to thank you again for being very supportive of women. It doesn't go unnoticed and is much appreciated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if there's one thing I've learned here at PS, it's that I'm very much a bull in a china shop when I write or talk.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474522801|4079491 said:
Yes, if there's one thing I've learned here at PS, it's that I'm very much a bull in a china shop when I write or talk.
Hey. Was still up searching for the thread I referenced you in but can't find it and saw you had commented again when I returned to the Hangout page. I don't mean to put you on the spot. We are all just stumbling around here in life and on the internet, like you so eloquently described as bulls in a china shop. I really thought I saw you make that comment somewhere and thought of it as I was posting this thread today. I may have been projecting or may have unnecessarily brought your name into something you had nothing to do with, and if that's the case, my utmost sincere apologies!

But. Thank you also for responding to this thread which I consider so VERY important and fundamental to humankind. An entire organ completely "denied, dismissed, and deleted" is just not cool and DESERVES to be recognized and mapped and made known, unequivocally, for once and for all. I am not even kidding when I say I think this could be life, humanity, and world changing.

Good night! :wavey:

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I am always surprised at the number of adult women who call their own body parts by the wrong name! You hear women talking and joking (yes, including the Kardashians) about how their skirt is so short you could practically see their vagina. It makes me want to tear my hair out or at least say "If someone can see your vagina because your skirt is so short, you need to go to an emergency room because your insides are falling out."

Anything that increases awareness of the female anatomy in a constructive and accurate way is very much needed these days.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this Monnie.
I appreciate you sharing this with us and agree this topic needs to be talked about so we can all be more aware.

Freud was wrong.
Sexual education in this country needs to be fixed so our young people can know the facts.
None of us are lacking.
Let's stop being "ilcliterate" :!:

anatomicallycorrectclitoris.png

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think sometimes we refer to parts with the wrong name not because we don't actually know the correct names, but just because it's easier (or maybe funnier) to use a different term. It might sound more amusing to say your vagina is hanging out as opposed to getting all technical and saying that your labia majora is hanging out :lol:
I do understand and appreciate the need for appropriate knowledge though and I don't think that this thread has any sort of inappropriate content =) My kids get sex ed starting in 5th grade and that includes anatomy.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainwood, that drives me crazy as well--the anatomy misnomers! I said in another thread not long ago that a lot of people don't even know that the female urethra is separate from the vagina. We don't pee out of the baby hole! Apparently that confusion stems from the male urethra being inside the penis--one organ does double duty. Not the case for women. For Gray's Anatomy #25 to entirely omit the clitoris was shocking to me; however, it's no wonder that to this day so many have such little knowledge of the female body.

Missy, thank you for your thoughts and for posting the graphic! In the beginning of the HuffPo feature, there are clitoris pendants shown and I REALLY WANT ONE! If it were done in 14 or 18k gold, I would definitely show it off here on PS. :naughty: I'm not sure if sexual education will ever be "fixed." There are a bunch of charts within the HuffPo piece which depict laws about sex ed in public schools state-by-state, and it's discouraging and disheartening to see what they convey.

I took Psychology of Human Sexuality in college in 1995. That was 3 years before Dr. Helen O'Connell mapped out the actual, correct anatomical structure of the clitoris. I do not recall ONCE discussing the clitoris in depth in that course, but I could rattle off every part of the male genitalia. Later, in my Women's Studies courses, female circumcision was discussed at length, but nothing of what Sophia Wallace and her colleagues' message was in our course material. I hope that has changed.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1474553722|4079555 said:
I think sometimes we refer to parts with the wrong name not because we don't actually know the correct names, but just because it's easier (or maybe funnier) to use a different term. It might sound more amusing to say your vagina is hanging out as opposed to getting all technical and saying that your labia majora is hanging out :lol:
I do understand and appreciate the need for appropriate knowledge though and I don't think that this thread has any sort of inappropriate content =) My kids get sex ed starting in 5th grade and that includes anatomy.
ETA: and I know you mean "misnomers" in this case, not utter vulgarities. Just saying it's a much larger issue than the example you're giving. :))

Watch the 23 minute TEDx presentation by Wallace. I know what you're saying about using the wrong terms being cute or funny, but it does us all a disservice, in my opinion. Wallace says "when you want to humiliate a man, you call him a term for the female anatomy, right? Pussy." Vagina only refers to the opening. It does not refer to the labia majora nor labia minora, which are jokingly referred to sometimes by crude people as "meat drapes." There's a funny one! :nono:

Do the schools in your area teach boys and girls that the clitoris is not only an external, but an internal structure? Do they know it has 8,000 nerve endings (twice as many as the penis) and it exists only for sexual pleasure? I'm betting not. The point of this movement, and this thread is not hey, women have clits, cool! It's deeper than that. Much deeper, and the issue has been a problem for humans for thousands of years. I appreciate your comments and thoughts but wish people would really take the time to "get it."

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1474556111|4079568 said:
momhappy|1474553722|4079555 said:
ETA: and I know you mean "misnomers" in this case, not utter vulgarities. Just saying it's a much larger issue than the example you're giving. :))

Watch the 23 minute TEDx presentation by Wallace. I know what you're saying about using the wrong terms being cute or funny, but it does us all a disservice, in my opinion. Wallace says "when you want to humiliate a man, you call him a term for the female anatomy, right? Pussy." Vagina only refers to the opening. It does not refer to the labia majora nor labia minora, which are jokingly referred to sometimes by crude people as "meat drapes." There's a funny one! :nono:

Do the schools in your area teach boys and girls that the clitoris is not only an external, but an internal structure? Do they know it has 8,000 nerve endings (twice as many as the penis) and it exists only for sexual pleasure? I'm betting not. The point of this movement, and this thread is not hey, women have clits, cool! It's deeper than that. Much deeper, and the issue has been a problem for humans for thousands of years. I appreciate your comments and thoughts but wish people would really take the time to "get it."

I understand, monarch and yes, I agree that on some levels, it does us all a disservice.
I doubt the school system goes into that much depth on the subject of female anatomy, but I don't think it needs to at that point (certainly not in 5th grade when they begin the lessons, but maybe as they get older...). Much like other classes/subjects in school, you get a feel for the basics and if you want to get more specialized, you take more classes and/or do your own research. I'm not even sure why I'd need to know that my clitoris has 8000 nerve endings....Not that there's anything wrong with knowing that....but I guess I'm just not that interested in going that deep. I understand the concept of the movement and I'm all good with going that deep to expand the general knowledge base, but I wouldn't necessarily say that I feel like I, personally, have a need to know all the tiny details associated with my female anatomy. Does that make sense?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Momhappy, it does make sense. And I get not feeling the need to know every minute detail. I just think if we're going to talk about it, we need to talk about ALL of it. 5th graders know about sex. They know about it long before 5th grade. Why should the clitoris not be discussed in depth at that age? It is the only organ in the human body designed for one specific purpose. So how do you talk about it without bringing that up? Like, what is its purpose, is what my 5th grade mind would've wanted to know. And why shouldn't children grow up knowing that the female anatomy has something VERY special about it? That promotes the respect it deserves, in my opinion. I'm not challenging your views. I'm just stating where I'm coming from.

The nerve ending knowledge is very important, because we are so conditioned to believe that the vaginal walls are where it's at when it comes to sexual pleasure. Not true, or we wouldn't be able to deliver children vaginally. The myth that the be-all, end-all sexual experience for women is penis in vagina intercourse needs to be tossed out, and bringing up the fact that there are that many nerve endings is a way to do that.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I live in the same town as the Kinsey Institute and frequently run into people with whom I can discuss things like this. So, I am fascinated by the subject matter and I know many do not share that fascination, but on some level I hope people will want to know more.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Again, I understand, but I don't think a 5th grader needs to know how "special" a clitoris is. I get that it's special, but in the grand scheme of things (for me), it's not that special. I think a woman's ability to carry & have babies is far more special, but again, that's just my opinion. I think it's fine to teach kids the basics and if they want to know more, they can ask, they can research it, they can take more specialized classes as they get older, etc.
We are totally open about our bodies in my house and my kids can and do ask me questions, which is a very good thing. My kids are at an age where that sort of talk might be awkward, but we try to keep the lines of communication open so that they know that they can come to us with that sort of thing if they need/want to. We are not prudes about our bodies and they know the proper terminology, etc. For now, that's enough for me (and probably for them).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this monarch.

I had no idea that's what it really looked like. Cool.

And I like that is has more nerve endings than a penis! (right? I think that's what it said) Super cool. :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1474560346|4079590 said:
Momhappy, it does make sense. And I get not feeling the need to know every minute detail. I just think if we're going to talk about it, we need to talk about ALL of it. 5th graders know about sex. They know about it long before 5th grade. Why should the clitoris not be discussed in depth at that age? It is the only organ in the human body designed for one specific purpose. So how do you talk about it without bringing that up? Like, what is its purpose, is what my 5th grade mind would've wanted to know. And why shouldn't children grow up knowing that the female anatomy has something VERY special about it? That promotes the respect it deserves, in my opinion. I'm not challenging your views. I'm just stating where I'm coming from.

The nerve ending knowledge is very important, because we are so conditioned to believe that the vaginal walls are where it's at when it comes to sexual pleasure. Not true, or we wouldn't be able to deliver children vaginally. The myth that the be-all, end-all sexual experience for women is penis in vagina intercourse needs to be tossed out, and bringing up the fact that there are that many nerve endings is a way to do that.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I live in the same town as the Kinsey Institute and frequently run into people with whom I can discuss things like this. So, I am fascinated by the subject matter and I know many do not share that fascination, but on some level I hope people will want to know more.

I have never understood why this isn't discussed. I knew all the correct female body part names in the 5th grade and I'm old. I asked a lot of questions when I was young and my mom answered all of them honestly. I also feel having a healthy sex life is an Important part of being a woman. I fail to see what the big deal is and feel this should be discussed and taught in school. What could possibly be wrong with understanding all aspects of female anatomy and how it works. The myth that the be-all, end-all sexual experience for women is penis in vagina intercourse should have been tossed out years ago.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I was not aware that there was a myth that sexual satisfaction for women ended with penis in vagina intercourse? I thought most people were aware of how things actually work and that there are many ways for a woman to achieve sexual satisfaction/gratification? Heck, I thought most people knew what a clitoris was, but maybe I'm wrong?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for posting this, Monnie :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1474568796|4079632 said:
^I was not aware that there was a myth that sexual satisfaction for women ended with penis in vagina intercourse? I thought most people were aware of how things actually work and that there are many ways for a woman to achieve sexual satisfaction/gratification? Heck, I thought most people knew what a clitoris was, but maybe I'm wrong?

well.....sadly, yes, that penetration only myth refuses to die.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why do you think "faking it" exists, momhappy?

Why is it that men almost always orgasm when having sex, but women report either faking it or many say they do not orgasm during a lovemaking session?

I would love it if you would watch the TEDx presentation I linked to in my OP. It's only 23 minutes long, you can wear earbuds or headphones so no one around you can hear it, heck you can watch it on your phone so no one can see your screen. Maybe then we can discuss the importance of the matter once you've educated yourself. I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday. I got MANY positive responses...from MEN. Also women. Lots of likes from men and women who are also humanists as I consider myself to be.

As far as 10-11 year olds not needing to know about sexual pleasure? Please stop perpetuating ignorance and misinformation in society. You are part of the problem. Do you not know the age boys begin masturbating and orgasming? It's way before 10-11. My girlfriends were doing the deed at 9 years of age, I remember that from sleepovers. And shockingly, we all grew up in affluent homes and were raised in nice, normal, 2 parent households but NEVER GIVEN THAT INFORMATION.
ETA: link from WebMD regarding when kids start masturbating. Shockingly, age 4 anecdotally, and statistically age 10 is when it becomes goal-driven. Hmm. Isn't that around the 5th grade? I think so, yes. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/caught-your-kid-masturbating

You know what? Kids are sexual beings. It starts at a very young age. Didn't you say your former profession was in psychology at some point here? I don't even know what to say about that. The attitude that we should withhold information from them because they aren't old enough to understand it OR FOR WHATEVER REASON is archaic and frankly neglectful in my opinion.

I'm sorry for coming across in an offensive manner, I truly am. But it frustrates me when someone refuses to see what is right in front of them and thinks smoke and mirrors are the best option. I respect you and your opinions, but I do think you are naïve. I will try not to interact with you any more on the topic because I don't want to go off on you again. Thanks in advance for understanding me on that.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1474578459|4079678 said:

Why is it that men almost always orgasm when having sex, but women report either faking it or many say they do not orgasm during a lovemaking session?

I would love it if you would watch the TEDx presentation I linked to in my OP. It's only 23 minutes long, you can wear earbuds or headphones so no one around you can hear it, heck you can watch it on your phone so no one can see your screen. Maybe then we can discuss the importance of the matter once you've educated yourself. I posted this on my Facebook page yesterday. I got MANY positive responses...from MEN. Also women. Lots of likes from men and women who are also humanists as I consider myself to be.

As far as 10-11 year olds not needing to know about sexual pleasure? Please stop perpetuating ignorance and misinformation in society. You are part of the problem. Do you not know the age boys begin masturbating and orgasming? It's way before 10-11. My girlfriends were doing the deed at 9 years of age, I remember that from sleepovers. And shockingly, we all grew up in affluent homes and were raised in nice, normal, 2 parent households but NEVER GIVEN THAT INFORMATION.
ETA: link from WebMD regarding when kids start masturbating. Shockingly, age 4 anecdotally, and statistically age 10 is when it becomes goal-driven. Hmm. Isn't that around the 5th grade? I think so, yes. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/caught-your-kid-masturbating

You know what? Kids are sexual beings. It starts at a very young age. Didn't you say your former profession was in psychology at some point here? I don't even know what to say about that. The attitude that we should withhold information from them because they aren't old enough to understand it OR FOR WHATEVER REASON is archaic and frankly neglectful in my opinion.

I'm sorry for coming across in an offensive manner, I truly am. But it frustrates me when someone refuses to see what is right in front of them and thinks smoke and mirrors are the best option. I respect you and your opinions, but I do think you are naïve. I will try not to interact with you any more on the topic because I don't want to go off on you again. Thanks in advance for understanding me on that.

I'm not sure where some of this is coming from because I don't disagree with you (and I've already stated that I'm many of my posts). Yes, kids are sexual beings. I know. I have kids.
All I said was that I'm not all that interested in knowing every teeny tiny detail of my female parts and that I'm not at all surprised that those same teeny tiny details aren't taught in public school. That's it.
If my kids had an in-depth sex ed class in 5th grade (as opposed to the basic sex ed class they have now), then I wouldn't have a problem with that.
And I planned on watching the TEDx presentation when I had the time to devote to it (without distractions of making dinner, homework help, etc.). Me not watching it (yet) has nothing to do with needing some sort of privacy to watch it (implying that I might be embarrassed by it, etc.). I'm sorry that you found my posts offensive in some way.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1474581368|4079695 said:
monarch64|1474578459|4079678 said:

I'm not sure where some of this is coming from because I don't disagree with you (and I've already stated that I'm many of my posts). Yes, kids are sexual beings. I know. I have kids.
All I said was that I'm not all that interested in knowing every teeny tiny detail of my female parts and that I'm not at all surprised that those same teeny tiny details aren't taught in public school. That's it.
If my kids had an in-depth sex ed class in 5th grade (as opposed to the basic sex ed class they have now), then I wouldn't have a problem with that.
And I planned on watching the TEDx presentation when I had the time to devote to it (without distractions of making dinner, homework help, etc.). Me not watching it (yet) has nothing to do with needing some sort of privacy to watch it (implying that I might be embarrassed by it, etc.). I'm sorry that you found my posts offensive in some way.

Hey, I'm not offended by your posts at all. I tend to word things in a poor manner when I'm heated, and I feel particularly passionate about this topic. I hope you do watch it when you get a chance. I really am interested in your thoughts on what Ms. Wallace has to say. I know you to be a rational, reasonable poster and my intention is not to be snarky or nasty to you. Thanks!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No worries! I'll pop back in after I watch it =)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting this! I am just glad my husband knows where it is and what it is for. I am a happy woman for 26 years. I still could just kiss that older 40 something woman he dated before me when he was 21.

All kidding aside, it is so important and so many women never know any of this information. So sad.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was all new to me, Monnie. I knew nothing about the discovered anatomy of the clitoris, so it was astonishing and illuminating. Thank you very much for sharing it. I also want to say that although kenny disparages me, I very much appreciated the respectful dialogue that you and he shared in this thread. I think it showed the very best that Pricescope is capable of: mature, sensitive, and caring. I thank both of you for setting that example as well.

Deb

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1474672215|4080119 said:
This was all new to me, Monnie. I knew nothing about the discovered anatomy of the clitoris, so it was astonishing and illuminating. Thank you very much for sharing it. I also want to say that although kenny disparages me, I very much appreciated the respectful dialogue that you and he shared in this thread. I think it showed the very best that Pricescope is capable of: mature, sensitive, and caring. I thank both of you for setting that example as well.

Deb

Deb, I'm glad you gained something from what I posted. And, thank you for recognizing the respectful exchanges in this thread; that means a lot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results