shape
carat
color
clarity

Artist Creates Memorial Ash Beads

lillulu

Rough_Rock
Joined
Dec 5, 2015
Messages
9
These look truly amazing. With or without ash they are beautiful pieces of art
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
31,605
Scroll down and see what else you can put your lover's ashes in ... :o
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
Sure they're pretty, but that doesn't make it any less creepy. I would imagine that you might get compliments on it from time to time, which would make for awkward moments that could be otherwise avoided.
person A: "What a pretty necklace"
person B: "Thanks, it's made out of my dead husband"
Person A: stands and stares in awkward silence
:shock:
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
lillulu|1449301193|3957815 said:
These look truly amazing. With or without ash they are beautiful pieces of art

I thought they were beautiful too!

kenny said:
Scroll down and see what else you can put your lover's ashes in ... :o

Yikes! :shock: I had to go back and look to see what you were referencing, lol. :lol:
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
momhappy|1449324691|3957861 said:
Sure they're pretty, but that doesn't make it any less creepy. I would imagine that you might get compliments on it from time to time, which would make for awkward moments that could be otherwise avoided.
person A: "What a pretty necklace"
person B: "Thanks, it's made out of my dead husband"
Person A: stands and stares in awkward silence
:shock:

Could definitely be a little awkward! :errrr:
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
^and not just awkward, but it also seems like it's a fishing-for-sympathy king of thing because you want people to ask just so you can talk about it. I guess that I'm just not a big fan of publicly advertising such personal/private information (like the loss of a loved one). I suppose everyone handles grief differently, so I'm not judging - it's just not something I would do.
 

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,512
momhappy|1449355831|3958032 said:
^and not just awkward, but it also seems like it's a fishing-for-sympathy king of thing because you want people to ask just so you can talk about it. I guess that I'm just not a big fan of publicly advertising such personal/private information (like the loss of a loved one). I suppose everyone handles grief differently, so I'm not judging - it's just not something I would do.

Actually, you are judging. You're judging quite a lot. You'd probably be a lot more empathetic if you had lost someone really close to you. I don't know if I'd do this, but I find the beads both touching and beautiful. And I say this as a widow of just over a year so I'm quite familiar with the grieving process.

If someone were to find this awkward, it's really their issue about death, not the person who is doing what you call "publicly advertising" a loss. Truly, truly offensive.
 

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
2,328
kenny|1449301807|3957817 said:
Scroll down and see what else you can put your lover's ashes in ... :o

I went back to the article to see what you were talking about.

Ummmm.....
 

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
2,328
I sent this link to a friend who is trying to find a way to convert her father's ashes into wearable jewellery.

There are people who want to do this as a way to keep their loved ones close. It's different, but that doesn't make it wrong.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
18,196
I have to say, I like these more than I liked the carved pearl skulls someone posted a few days ago. Those made me really uncomfortable for some reason, not sure why. These glass beads with ash matter inside are a little more tolerable to my mind. These seem like a wearable piece...no one would know what it was unless you told them. I chuckled at Momhappy's scenario, though. I probably wouldn't tell a stranger what was actually in the bead like that. I might say it was someone's ashes but I don't think I'd put it like "it's my dead husband." :lol:

Also, is anyone reminded of Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie wearing vials of each other's blood on chains back in the day? People thought that was kind of disturbing/shocking then...this is kind of along the same vein. Ohhhh...bad pun. I know, I know. :snore:
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
rainwood|1449368012|3958108 said:
momhappy|1449355831|3958032 said:
^and not just awkward, but it also seems like it's a fishing-for-sympathy king of thing because you want people to ask just so you can talk about it. I guess that I'm just not a big fan of publicly advertising such personal/private information (like the loss of a loved one). I suppose everyone handles grief differently, so I'm not judging - it's just not something I would do.

Actually, you are judging. You're judging quite a lot. You'd probably be a lot more empathetic if you had lost someone really close to you. I don't know if I'd do this, but I find the beads both touching and beautiful. And I say this as a widow of just over a year so I'm quite familiar with the grieving process.

If someone were to find this awkward, it's really their issue about death, not the person who is doing what you call "publicly advertising" a loss. Truly, truly offensive.

I'm not judging - I just said it's not my thing. And yes, I've lost close family & friends, just as many of us have. It's not about a lack of empathy - it's about a personal preference with how someone chooses to memorialize the loss of a loved one. As I said before, everyone handles grief differently and I tend to be more private about it.
If you found my post offensive, then I apologize to you, but I should be entitled to express my opinion even if it's different than yours. I am also sorry for your loss. I think the beads are pretty, but they are not for everyone because some people might find it creepy to repurpose ashes in such a manner (and others may not).

And, yes, Monarch, it reminded me of the Angelina Jolie/Billy Bob vials of blood necklaces too, which is not my thing either, but again, not judging, just not my cup of tea...
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
25,293
While I can see why someone might choose to wear a piece of jewelry with ashes of their loved one, that item further down is just bazaar!
 

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 29, 2005
Messages
1,512
momhappy|1449437620|3958323 said:
rainwood|1449368012|3958108 said:
momhappy|1449355831|3958032 said:
^and not just awkward, but it also seems like it's a fishing-for-sympathy king of thing because you want people to ask just so you can talk about it. I guess that I'm just not a big fan of publicly advertising such personal/private information (like the loss of a loved one). I suppose everyone handles grief differently, so I'm not judging - it's just not something I would do.

Actually, you are judging. You're judging quite a lot. You'd probably be a lot more empathetic if you had lost someone really close to you. I don't know if I'd do this, but I find the beads both touching and beautiful. And I say this as a widow of just over a year so I'm quite familiar with the grieving process.

If someone were to find this awkward, it's really their issue about death, not the person who is doing what you call "publicly advertising" a loss. Truly, truly offensive.

I'm not judging - I just said it's not my thing. And yes, I've lost close family & friends, just as many of us have. It's not about a lack of empathy - it's about a personal preference with how someone chooses to memorialize the loss of a loved one. As I said before, everyone handles grief differently and I tend to be more private about it.
If you found my post offensive, then I apologize to you, but I should be entitled to express my opinion even if it's different than yours. I am also sorry for your loss. I think the beads are pretty, but they are not for everyone because some people might find it creepy to repurpose ashes in such a manner (and others may not).

And, yes, Monarch, it reminded me of the Angelina Jolie/Billy Bob vials of blood necklaces too, which is not my thing either, but again, not judging, just not my cup of tea...

If you'd just said that it's not your thing, I'd agree with you. But you used words like "creepy" (twice), "awkward," "fishing-for-sympathy" and "publicly advertising" which are quite judgmental, at least in most people's worlds. You are entitled to your opinion, but saying that you're not judging doesn't make it true.

Now that I've been through a really big loss, here's what I hope I'd say if someone had such a pendant and said it was their dead husband: "I'm so sorry. Tell me about him." Because one of the things grief counselors tell you to do is to talk about the person you lost. So rather than fishing for sympathy or publicly advertising, I'd try to see it as an opportunity for that person to do what the professionals tell them they should do. Comments like yours just reinforce the notion that people who are grieving should keep quiet about the person they loved because it might make someone else uncomfortable. That's a shame, and I doubt was your intent. It's a lesson I've learned from being on the other side of one of the biggest losses, and wish I'd been sensitive to it sooner.

And the Jolie/Thornton thing had nothing to do with the grieving process; that was just straight-up Hollywood weirdness. Yes, I can judge with the best of them!
 

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
4,660
^Some people (myself included) feel that wearing the ashes of a loved one is creepy - others may not. To each their own.
I never said that grieving people should keep quiet about a loss, so I don't consider that a fair assumption. My example was more about a random stranger complimenting the necklace, which could lead to an awkward moment (again, between strangers). The reality is that some conversations are deep/heavy and there are times when they are appropriate and times when they are not, which is what can make people feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing a private loss with someone I didn't know, but again, everyone handles grief differently. My family just had a significant loss fairly recently and I've noticed that some family members prefer to talk about it a lot, while others have remained more private. Neither way is right or wrong. If someone chooses to wear a memorial ash bead, then that's their choice. I'm fine with it, but I just wouldn't choose to do it for myself, that's all. Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry that my previous post(s) offended you. It was not my intent to do so, but I can see how it may have been perceived that way. I was sort of making light of the subject, which was probably not very sensitive of me.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    eBay Launches Authentication for Fine Jewelry
    eBay Launches Authentication for Fine Jewelry - 08/17
    Natural Diamond Prices - August 2022
    Natural Diamond Prices - August 2022 - 08/16
    Our Favorite Celebrity Engagement Rings Of 2022
    Our Favorite Celebrity Engagement Rings Of 2022 - 08/12
Top