shape
carat
color
clarity

Art gallery proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
OK, I finally have the ring and I''m going to ask for her father''s blessing some time this month, now I just have to figure out where and how I''m going to propose. One of my first and favorite ideas is to do it in an art gallery. The only problem is I''m not sure how accomodating art galleries are when it comes to this sort of thing. My girlfriend''s favorite painting is The Kiss by Gustav Klimt, so I was hoping to find a showing of this piece and propose in front of it. However, the painting is in Vienna and never leaves as far as I know. I don''t know much about art galleries but do they show replicas of famous paintings or are they only the originals? Basically, can I find an art gallery in the DC area who shows a replica of this painting? The next part is where the gallery would have to accomodate me ... I was hoping I would be able to get them to set up a pedestal in the same room as the painting and place the e-ring on the pedestal with a card or something saying "This ring belongs to the most loved woman in the world." Then as she was admiring it I would get down on my knee. Cheesy I know, but hey you only get engaged once right? Is this feasible or should I go with something more simple, I have a few more ideas. Thanks for any replies.

-FTB

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on the possibility of a replica of the painting being available at any nearby galleries...but if you do decide to pop the question in a gallery...I would be deathly afraid to stage it as you said....for fear the ring would disappear. Very similarly to what you said, the card and the ringbox on the pedestal is fine...but I''d have the ringbox be empty, and while she''s opening it, get down on one knee behind her. As she turns around thinking "Where the heck is the ring?" she''ll see you on one knee, holding it out to her as you ask her to marry you.

If a replica of the painting is unavailable, could you stage a proposal somewhere else, but perhaps find some stationery cards that have the picture printed on them, and write some sweet things to her inside it, in order to incorporate the painting into your proposal? Just some ideas...

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OHHHHHHHH!!!! That brought a tear to my eye! My only thought on finding the painting would be to contact the Smithsonian. I am sure that you could also run your idea by them and they could tell you if it is a possibility or not.

Really the element of surprise is the best part of getting engaged, I think if you pull that off- everything else is lost in the moment!!! :)

Good Luck!!
36.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I would see about getting a copy of the original and find a small gallery that will frame it for you. Arrange to have them display the finished product on a slow evening. Take her to dinner and then walk by and stroll in...once in front of said picture, ask how much it is to buy (Whatever the cost of the framing) Decide to buy it, and while she is happy about that, comment that something would make you very happy too...if she would agree to be your wife. (or whatever words you feel are best, of course!) One nice thing about proposing in a gallery will be that the lighting will be spectacular for the ring!

That way you will have a second keepsake from that evening that will be perfect in either a bedroom or office....something to look at (besides the ring!) that will remind you both of that night, and is a conversation piece if displayed in a public room.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on your beautiful new ring. It is gorgeous. I used to live in DC and it''s a wonderful city!

So you can''t go to Vienna to see The Kiss...

This one ("Baby") is at the National Gallery, will it do? http://www.laks.com/klimtmuseum/k101.html Not sure you want to jump to that stage immediately upon getting engaged.
2.gif

Or you could go to NYC to MMA for these http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/woa_searchResults.asp?collection=entire&Artist=&Title=&Country=&Date1=&Era1=AD&Date2=&Era2=AD&Keyword=klimt

I''m sure others will have better ideas! GL!

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Nice ideas everyone, thanks. Jenwill that''s a great idea, she actually has a print of the The Kiss that I got her for Valentine''s Day, but it hasn''t been framed yet. I could probably steal it out of her closet when she wasn''t around and go get it framed. Going to a smaller gallery is a great idea too, they will probably be more accomodating. Perhaps I can also get them to set up the ring box like FireGoddess said. I''m going to call around and see if it''ll work, thanks for all the ideas, I''ll post again about how it goes.

-FTB

Gale

Shiny_Rock
I love, love, love Jenwill''s suggestions to you!

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
There is a wonderful piece on Exhibition at the National Gallery in D.C.
Auguste Rodin - The Kiss (Le Baiser) -- I believe it is in the West Ground Floor Gallery 1C

It is an incredibly sweet and romantic piece - very moving. If she likes Klimt's the Kiss she might like this piece. You could take her to see it, say something romantic - tell her how much you love her, and ask her to marry you.

Just an idea.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies and great ideas! After looking into the art gallery possibilities and realizing I can''t wait any longer to ask her, I''ve decided on a different route. Tomorrow night I am going to tell my gf that we have dinner reservations in DC, then I''m going to suggest that we take a walk down by what''s left of the cherry blossoms. My friend will show up early and set some things up for me, so when we go through the trees at one point we will just happen upon a blanket set up with champagne, chocolate, strawberries, lit candles, and some strawberry starburst (her favorite). I''m still debating on whether or not to ask her to close her eyes before walking up to the blanket. But that''s pretty much the gist of it. Again thanks for all your ideas, I wish I could use them, but I can''t wait another day.

-FTB

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Your new idea is very sweet, and it''s really touching that you can''t wait any longer! Good luck with everything tomorrow, and let us know how it goes.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Well everything went off without a hitch. And she said yes!!! She loved the blanket and rose petals and everything, it''s also been a great story for her friends. And my friend who set everything up actually got some pictures through the trees of us right after, hugging. It will make for a great memento. And she can''t stop staring at the ring, she keeps saying it''s her dream ring. Thanks for everybody''s tips and advice.

-FTB

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Many congratulations on your engagment. It''s nice to hear everything went well.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/18/2005 8:57
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Fiance to be
Well everything went off without a hitch. And she said yes!!! She loved the blanket and rose petals and everything, it''s also been a great story for her friends. And my friend who set everything up actually got some pictures through the trees of us right after, hugging. It will make for a great memento. And she can''t stop staring at the ring, she keeps saying it''s her dream ring. Thanks for everybody''s tips and advice.

-FTB
Great choice!!! My freind was also proposed to after a beautiful day of cherry blossoms (they rented one of those paddle boats and somehow he managed to get down on one knee and propose without capsizing the thing
9.gif
). It''s such a special memory for her, so I know it will be your FI.
CONGRATULATIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results