shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CDC teleconference is worrisome. Coronavirus already has 2 of 3 criteria for pandemic. If I read that right.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My family is traveling to Hawaii for spring break next month. I’m chaperoning a band trip to an international music festival where a huge portion of the high school students will be coming from Asian countries. At least that WAS the plan—not sure what will happen in the next few weeks.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was just coming to post this about the community transmission and this is what CDC said earlier today in the link I posted:

“In terms of a change in tone, I guess what I would say is as I look back on the scripts of the telebriefings that we’ve given over the past month, we have for a long time been saying — we have for many weeks been saying that while we hope this is not going to be severe, we are planning as if it is. The data over the last week and the spread in other countries has certainly raised our level of concern and raised our level of expectation that we are going to have community spread here. So I think that that’s perhaps the change of tone you’ve seen. I think what we still don’t know is what that will look like as many of you know. We can have community spread in the united states and have it be reasonably mild. We could have community spread in the united states and have it be very severe. And so that is what — that is what we don’t completely know yet. And we certainly also don’t exactly know when it’s going to happen.”

So it already possibly happened that quickly. Today is the day and the CDC didn’t even know it when they were doing this teleconference.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While the focus rightfully has been on the potential impact on health, no one has yet addressed non health consequences. What happens in one's community when the virus hits -- schools, shops, stores may be closed. Travel may be restricted. Mandatory quarantine of the community may be imposed. Food and a myriad of supplies may be in short supply. Interstate commerce may be affected. There's no way to know the extent of what will happen until it happens.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally? I'm not worried I'll catch it but I do think the implications for the wider world including the economy are enormous.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to vent: I fee the German and French governments have done a good job containing the Virus, the cases in Germany were the first in Europe due to one Chinese co worker. They quarantined everyone fast and many of the people tested positive didn't show any symtoms. Same goes for France.
(well, except for a teacher who died of the Virus and no one knows how he caught it, because he didn't travel to any high risk areas)

BUT the Italians on the other hand didn't do such a great job. hundreds infected, many dead. We now get official mails that anyone returning from the most impacted zones in Italy is not allowed back to work/school and needs to be quarantined for two weeks.

But GUESS what? The big bucks champions league game in Lyon against Italian Club Turin with THOUSANDS of travelling supporters yesterday night was NOT cancelled, I personally guess lobbying from the $$$$$ Clubs:
I mean REALLY: one high schooler who went to Italy can't go to school because it's so dangerous for everyone else, but thousands from NORTHERN Italy, one of the most impacted zones are in a biig arena with tens of thousands of locals are a good idea?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to vent: I fee the German and French governments have done a good job containing the Virus, the cases in Germany were the first in Europe due to one Chinese co worker. They quarantined everyone fast and many of the people tested positive didn't show any symtoms. Same goes for France.
(well, except for a teacher who died of the Virus and no one knows how he caught it, because he didn't travel to any high risk areas)

BUT the Italians on the other hand didn't do such a great job. hundreds infected, many dead. We now get official mails that anyone returning from the most impacted zones in Italy is not allowed back to work/school and needs to be quarantined for two weeks.

But GUESS what? The big bucks champions league game in Lyon against Italian Club Turin with THOUSANDS of travelling supporters yesterday night was NOT cancelled, I personally guess lobbying from the $$$$$ Clubs:
I mean REALLY: one high schooler who went to Italy can't go to school because it's so dangerous for everyone else, but thousands from NORTHERN Italy, one of the most impacted zones are in a biig arena with tens of thousands of locals are a good idea?

I agree. We have had several schools closed in Cheshire now (North West England) due to many pupils attending an Inter-School Ski Tournament in Northern Italy over the Half Term Holiday. So far, all those tested have been negative, but we now have many children off school whilst the premises are deep cleaned, just to be on the safe side. And yet Italy, and I suspect many other countries, were not doing a thing to contain this or taking these kind of early precautions.

Whilst I understand that this virus has no more impact than seasonal winter flu & indeed, 14 in every 100 patients who test positive show zero symptoms, it is the impact on vulnerable people that concerns me. My Great Aunt passed in 2014 at the age of 99 from a hospital caught infection whilst being treated for pneumonia. During her later years I always avoided my weekly visits to her home if I had even so much as a cold, just so that I didn't make her poorly. How many other people think like that? Thankfully myself & my family are all in good health, but I worry for those more vulnerable who maybe exposed to infected people who should have self quarantined at home.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
There are two concerns about how this will play out in the US.

First, with our health care system many (most?) people avoid going to ER or their PCP due to out-of-pocket costs. That's provided that they have health insurance---many do not. So potentially many people with symptoms will not seek care or wait too long due to concern over the cost.

Second, US work culture is such that people will not self-quarantine effectively, if at all. In the US---people go to work sick. It is an expectation that you show up.

While I am glad the CDC is making recommendations for preparing for self-quarantine, for most people that is not an option. If they don't go to work they don't get paid.

If the US wants people to get tested and treated promptly---they need to remove any concerns about how people will pay for treatment. They also need to address keeping people afloat financially if they need to self-quarantine.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

First, with our health care system many (most?) people avoid going to ER or their PCP due to out-of-pocket costs. That's provided that they have health insurance---many do not. So potentially many people with symptoms will not seek care or wait too long due to concern over the cost.

Second, US work culture is such that people will not self-quarantine effectively, if at all. In the US---people go to work sick. It is an expectation that you show up.

While I am glad the CDC is making recommendations for preparing for self-quarantine, for most people that is not an option. If they don't go to work they don't get paid.

If the US wants people to get tested and treated promptly---they need to remove any concerns about how people will pay for treatment. They also need to address keeping people afloat financially if they need to self-quarantine.

Agreed.

In Singapore where I live and in Hong Kong too, I believe, the government pays for the cost of the treatment. They also provide financial assistance to those affected - though I don't know if it is enough, but at least it's something.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes @Elizabeth35 I too am worried about these scenarios and I fervently hope this isn't true across the board. My DH's workplace emailed everyone an announcement (a few days ago) that if you are sick please stay home. And if they did (very cost conscious work establishment) I am hoping many others follow suit. But yeah the scenarios you wrote above are quite probably and quite worrisome.

Agreed.

In Singapore where I live and in Hong Kong too, I believe, the government pays for the cost of the treatment. They also provide financial assistance to those affected - though I don't know if it is enough, but at least it's something.

Definitely a good move and I hope other countries follow this good example.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. We have had several schools closed in Cheshire now (North West England) due to many pupils attending an Inter-School Ski Tournament in Northern Italy over the Half Term Holiday. So far, all those tested have been negative, but we now have many children off school whilst the premises are deep cleaned, just to be on the safe side. And yet Italy, and I suspect many other countries, were not doing a thing to contain this or taking these kind of early precautions.

Whilst I understand that this virus has no more impact than seasonal winter flu & indeed, 14 in every 100 patients who test positive show zero symptoms, it is the impact on vulnerable people that concerns me. My Great Aunt passed in 2014 at the age of 99 from a hospital caught infection whilst being treated for pneumonia. During her later years I always avoided my weekly visits to her home if I had even so much as a cold, just so that I didn't make her poorly. How many other people think like that? Thankfully myself & my family are all in good health, but I worry for those more vulnerable who maybe exposed to infected people who should have self quarantined at home.

I am so sorry about your aunt @Alex T. And I agree with you. How many will self quarantine? It seems common sense is not that common at all. :/

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes @Elizabeth35 I too am worried about these scenarios and I fervently hope this isn't true across the board. My DH's workplace emailed everyone an announcement (a few days ago) that if you are sick please stay home. And if they did (very cost conscious work establishment) I am hoping many others follow suit. But yeah the scenarios you wrote above are quite probably and quite worrisome.

Definitely a good move and I hope other countries follow this good example.

The UK Government have stated this week that there will be no financial penalty for those in self quarantine, given that this is the preferred way to contain those affected. Nobody should feel forced to work if they are poorly, Coronavirus or not, and there has been a huge turn around here over the last few years regarding attitudes to illness & allowing people to stay home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The UK Government have stated this week that there will be no financial penalty for those in self quarantine, given that this is the preferred way to contain those affected. Nobody should feel forced to work if they are poorly, Coronavirus or not, and there has been a huge turn around here over the last few years regarding attitudes to illness & allowing people to stay home.

That is very smart @Alex T
Let's hope the USA follows suit but I am guessing that will not happen. There is no way the government here can or will supplement one's income if one stays home. #sadbuttrue

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The point is that due to the mass hysteria, people are already reacting with their wallets so you are echoing what I said.

People in Australia are not reacting with mass hysteria, our Government has done everything to contain it coming into here and for those that have been infected they have been identified and put into medical care. But our stockmarket has been severely impacted, so I guess we will wait and see if they are right or wrong.

I suspect and have from the beginning it's going to wipe out a lot of people if it spreads through Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa but I guess we will see. That isn't "hysteria" or panic - that's a fairly general observation...

We (you and I) are lucky we live in countries that can quickly identify it and treat it, but millions of people will not have the same resources.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Supply line problems are showing up for US companies that rely on Chinese parts(nearly all of them).
Stocks are going to be a bumpy ride for a while.
Its just another reason to make stuff in the USA and USA first.

Still not overly concerned the flu has me more concerned and I'm putting off some elective medical tests that are just being done because I just turned 50.
The flu is really bad in my area with the hospitals full of flu related cases.
A nurse family friend who works in a hospital says that the flu is worse this year than it has been in the last 10 years in my area.
Teacher friend is saying the same thing.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been overly worried up to now but starting to definitely feel a little...nervous? Concerned? Feeling worried about my kids too. Dh raised the issue of stores and other facilities being closed and has read that it might be a good idea to stockpile some supplies - water, toilet paper, Advil, etc. Hard to gauge how worried/concerned to be. dh is checking with IT at work to make sure everyone can work from home if the office is closed. I don't know, just kind of scary hearing things like this.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't been overly worried up to now but starting to definitely feel a little...nervous? Concerned? Feeling worried about my kids too. Dh raised the issue of stores and other facilities being closed and has read that it might be a good idea to stockpile some supplies - water, toilet paper, Advil, etc. Hard to gauge how worried/concerned to be. dh is checking with IT at work to make sure everyone can work from home if the office is closed. I don't know, just kind of scary hearing things like this.

Me too @junebug17 I wasn’t too concerned before...What concerns me now is my husband travels a lot by plane...He doesn’t fly overseas but he’s on the plane a few days a week sometimes. I was planning to make a trip to Hyannis in May but now I’m rethinking it..My husband will think I’m blowing things out of proportion because he's busy...and doesn’t really have a handle on how bad it could be. My family and I also need to have medication..You can’t stockpile that. I’m seriously going to start buying water, canned goods, TP..Lysol wipes, etc. I heard on the tv this morning that some states are considering closing schools for a month...I thought I heard in March! My daughter-in-law is pregnant...It’s scary...If I could..I would just hole up in the house with everyone but my husband is the wild card because he wouldn’t stay put thereby increasing his risk and exposing us to it too...

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
People in Australia are not reacting with mass hysteria, our Government has done everything to contain it coming into here and for those that have been infected they have been identified and put into medical care. But our stockmarket has been severely impacted, so I guess we will wait and see if they are right or wrong.

I suspect and have from the beginning it's going to wipe out a lot of people if it spreads through Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa but I guess we will see. That isn't "hysteria" or panic - that's a fairly general observation...

We (you and I) are lucky we live in countries that can quickly identify it and treat it, but millions of people will not have the same resources.

Here is why I think it is mass hysteria and that media is fueling it rather than a general observation. The flu is killing more people than this virus has. Yes it’s a new virus. But look at the stats. More people have recovered than died. A lot more. So yes. The idea that a new virus that has not demonstrated to be as lethal as the flu, the idea that we all fear it and it’s affecting our economy and our travel plans and our immediate plans— that is the definition of mass hysteria. If all 80k people infected would have died— then yes— but a smaller percentage than the flu— I think it is partly bc the Media keeps fueling the panic that we are all still chatting about this online.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is why I think it is mass hysteria and that media is fueling it. The flu is killing more people than this virus has. Yes it’s a new virus. But look at the stats. More people have recovered than died. A lot more. So yes. The idea that a new virus that has not demonstrated to be as lethal as the flu, the idea that we all fear it and it’s affecting our economy and our travel plans and our immediate plans— that is the definition of mass hysteria. If all 80k people infected would have died— then yes— but a smaller percentage than the flu— I think it is partly bc the Media keeps fueling the panic that we are all still chatting about this online.
This is slightly incorrect. The mortality rate of covid19 is currently sitting at 3.4%. Not crazy, and yes, majority of people do recover. The flu mortality rate is 0.1%. More people have died from the flu simply because more have been infected.
To say the flu is more lethal is just not correct.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Me too @junebug17 I wasn’t too concerned before...What concerns me now is my husband travels a lot by plane...He doesn’t fly overseas but he’s on the plane a few days a week sometimes. I was planning to make a trip to Hyannis in May but now I’m rethinking it..My husband will think I’m blowing things out of proportion because he's busy...and doesn’t really have a handle on how bad it could be. My family and I also need to have medication..You can’t stockpile that. I’m seriously going to start buying water, canned goods, TP..Lysol wipes, etc. I heard on the tv this morning that some states are considering closing schools for a month...I thought I heard in March! My daughter-in-law is pregnant...It’s scary...If I could..I would just hole up in the house with everyone but my husband is the wild card because he wouldn’t stay put thereby increasing his risk and exposing us to it too...

I am starting to feel this way too.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look at it as not only do I have to avoid the flu, now I also have to avoid something that can remain invisible for an unknown amount of time, all while people in my house are having to travel and commute on mass transportation. I wish I had a hideout or second home, I'd be there by myself for sure.

I take a chemo drug for my auto immune condition. Other people with my condition are actually chancing not taking their infusions so that they might not be as immune suppressed. That's ill advised, as our bodies might make antibodies to our infusion drug and then we can't take it anymore, and have no other alternatives. It sucks!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is slightly incorrect. The mortality rate of covid19 is currently sitting at 3.4%. Not crazy, and yes, majority of people do recover. The flu mortality rate is 0.1%. More people have died from the flu simply because more have been infected.
To say the flu is more lethal is just not correct.

Thanks for correcting me. But I still think this is a case of mass hysteria. When the death rate is 14.8 percent for 80 plus year olds and drops to .4 for under 49, then the mortality percentage of 3.4 is skewed due to other pre existing factors or conditions.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if people start panic buying, that’s going to cause a whole lot of different problems.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like in the UK, in France and Germany the quarantine will be handled as extra sick days, paid by the public health system. Treatment as well. No out of pocket for patients to make sure people do go in for testing.I hope all countries that can afford this will put similar programs in place.

I'm certain this is also financially wiser than facing a pandemic...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's prudent to stock up on 2 weeks worth of cold meds, soup, disinfectants and other necessities as one might do during cold/fu season and keep up to date on the news regarding impact in individual areas to determine if longer term planning is necessary. I'm also stocking up on the masks that we use during fire season.

My city as well as those to the north and south are retirement meccas. The majority of my neighbors are elderly with health issues. My hubs, who is a physician, said none of the local hospitals currently have enough ventilators to handle the anticipated numbers of ill people when the virus arrives here. Those anticipated numbers include a large portion of homeless folk.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for correcting me. But I still think this is a case of mass hysteria. When the death rate is 14.8 percent for 80 plus year olds and drops to .4 for under 49, then the mortality percentage of 3.4 is skewed due to other pre existing factors or conditions.

I agree! And compared to something like ebola which had a waaaay higher mortality rate this is still pretty small potatoes.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I look at it as not only do I have to avoid the flu, now I also have to avoid something that can remain invisible for an unknown amount of time, all while people in my house are having to travel and commute on mass transportation. I wish I had a hideout or second home, I'd be there by myself for sure.

I take a chemo drug for my auto immune condition. Other people with my condition are actually chancing not taking their infusions so that they might not be as immune suppressed. That's ill advised, as our bodies might make antibodies to our infusion drug and then we can't take it anymore, and have no other alternatives. It sucks!

I’m sorry @lyra...It does suck..:(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results