shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you wearing a tiara?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
I started looking into tiaras and was surprised by how much they cost. The rad Swarvoski crystal ones are hundreds of dollars, and way beyond my budget for an item that i wasn''t planning on.

Wondering if y''all are wearing one and if you''ve found some good sources for them.

Seems like our wedding day is a perfect day to wear a tiara.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
i haven''t decided whether i wanna wear one or not (hm... i see a pattern w/this bc we haven''t even decided on a date/location yet either!) but, i''m leaning towards a yes, bc when else am i gonna have a chance to wear one? plus, i cant say no to sparly shinies, even if they''re only crystal.

but i''ve seen a bunch on ebay for pretty reasonable prices (IMO) but no advice on vendors. and i actually bought one at nordstoms (on clearance for $30, i couldn''t resist bc they have a great return policy anyhoo) ill see if i can post a pic of it sometime.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
http://members.tripod.com/Targheerain/id13.htm

I wore one and loved it...it''s on this page...scroll down to the one called "hyacinth" if you''d like to see mine...Winters and Rain makes beautiful pieces. A bit of a splurge, but totally worth it. I''d love to pass this down someday to our kids...someday! klr

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t decided. It will depend partly on how I decide to do my hair, and partly on if I can find one I like that uses pearls as well as rhinestones (I plan on wearing my mom''s pearl necklace, and I think it would look weird to have just a rhinestone tiara). If not, I''ll be using flowers and rhinestone pins for a subtle sparkle.

I second the Ebay suggestion. You''re only going to wear it once--it''s ridiculous to pay a ton of money for it.
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I think I will wear one.. but I too HATE how much they are. My best friend is getting married in April and paid about $160 for hers, so she said I could wear it too, so we could get some moneys worth out of it. I will see how it goes with my dress.. Also, craft stores like Michaels and AC moore carry tiaras and veils in thier wedding section. The veils don''t look like the best quality.. The mesh sort of looks like it would rip.. and the tiaras.. well they are hit or miss I think.. but they are only $20-$50 depending on the size and style..

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Curious - do brides not wear veils anymore?

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
yes. They wear veils WITH tiaras. They aren''t all one piece like some used to be.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 9:46:18 AM
Author: MelissaSue
yes. They wear veils WITH tiaras. They aren''t all one piece like some used to be.
Oh, gotcha. I wore a tiara w/ a veil. It was my Mom''s - so I guess it''s not a new fashion.
28.gif
9.gif
I thought the tiara was in lieu of a veil. I never really cared for the cap type veils.

I wonder if looking in vintage clothing stores may be a good option to save money.

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
I''m planning to wear a very simple sheer veil but no tiara. Personally I''m not a fan of them but I could change my mind about that!
2.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I am not wearing a tiara. My dress is simple, and so is my veil, so my "image" will be "simple and understated but elegant", very small jewelry pieces, no headpiece/tiara.

Just a sidenote - did anybody else not realize how incredibly expensive veils are??? I got mine half-off from my bridal salon because it was an old sample, but it was still $68! Good thing I liked it so much! Oh yeah! It''s one layer of organza, to match my dress overlay, with silver trim, and it''s a half-circle taper, so it starts out elbow-length and ends fingertip length. I might glue on some rhinestones later on, or shorten it. I''m wearing my hair half-up, with the veil attached at the up-do part.

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I forgot to add that I''m planning to wear either a jeweled hair comb in the back/side of my hair, or possibly a feather concoction/flower. Check out www.leahc.net for some gorgeous feathered headpieces. They''re really pricey, but I may splurge since I''m keeping everything else kind of simple.

JCJD - I know what you mean about veils - ridiculous in my opinion!! I''m going to make one myself using a clear comb, ribbon and some tulle. I''ll see how it looks. If it''s terrible I''ll probably end up buying one, but a simple veil shouldn''t cost more than a few bucks!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, man, ladies, don''t even get me started on the wedding industry''s price gouging.
29.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I most likely is wearing a tiara, but it will depend on how I decide to do my hair. But I just want a simple one that doesn''t look like a little crown. I have a picture of it at home. Maybe I''ll post it later

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
I do want to ear a tiara but I am not sure I will mainly cause I am having a beach wedding I am not sure how a tiara will go with it (although I want a traditional kind of gown so who knows?)

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Emeraldgirl - check out this site: http://www.orangeblossomtiaras.com

They have some beautiful (although pricey) tiaras that are a bit "outdoorsy" or "beachy" and not quite as formal as other tiaras.

They have gorgeous things...sigh...

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 6:10:26 PM
Author: qtiekiki
I most likely is wearing a tiara, but it will depend on how I decide to do my hair. But I just want a simple one that doesn''t look like a little crown. I have a picture of it at home. Maybe I''ll post it later
Here''s the pic of the tiara I am looking into.
hobbystreet_1807_6419687

What do you guys think of this??

Very pretty tiara. I love the diamond look. To me, many tiara''s seem too beady & flowerly like.

I still don''t know if I''ll wear one. I plan on wearing my hair down with a veil, and a couple of friends have told me that my dress is too classic and simple to wear a tiara. But I would like to find one that works.

Merry Christmas ladies & gents!

JKohio

Rough_Rock
I tried on a couple when I was trying veils with my dress & none felt right on me. I felt like I was playing dress-up & I''ve never been a princess-y kinda gal anyway. I will likely do a small spray of flowers or some sparkley hairpins in my hair to go with my veil. (My veil already has rhinestones studded on the fabric, & a thin silver edging.

Another inexpensive source for tiaras would be places like Claire''s in the mall. So what if the store is geared toward teens? Low prices & they add just as much sparkle as an expensive tiara would.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
qtiekiki: i love the tiara!

re: the expense of veils issue, i made one for my friend, a simple two tier with a bridal comb and rope edging, etc... and total cost was about... $40? Including the pattern (you can buy them at Joann or any fabric store)
Cost breakdown was $12 for the pattern, $8 for the comb (nice metal bridal comb not the cheapie plastic ones), $10 for the fabric and $10 for the ribbon.

I am definitely making my own veil, and have offered to make other friends'' veils... they are SO DANG OVERPRICED at the bridal salons... $200 for a freakin piece of tulle? you''ve got to be kidding. It''s $1/yard!!

I''ll try to find a pic of my friend''s veil. Anyone who wants a simple veil done at cost, PM and we can work something out, I enjoyed doing it!

There are also some online vendors that are very cheap, i cant find the link now, but I''ll post it on a new thread.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, I initially wanted only a veil, but then I really got into the idea of a tiara. However, my dress was ivory and had a lot of pearl beading on it, and I just couldn''t find a tiara that I thought went well with it. Also, my hair is short on the top, so I would have needed a 2.5 to 3" tiara to clear that part, and that just started seeming a little too much for me.

I HATED tulle....I keep feeling like it looked like a big wad of netting sitting on my back, so I decided to go with a lace-edged veil (which hung very nicely with the little extra weight of the lace around the perimeter). It was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive at $150, but I justified it by using my veil as part of my keepsake (putting together a shadow box that has a drape of my veil along with our wedding invitation).

In the end, I just had them pin the comb into my up-do, and that was it. Very simple, and I got TONS of compliments on it.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
a pic of the mini-tiara i got a nordstroms. i''m not sure if it''s really a tiara, not that wide. i got it on a whim, bc it was such a good deal, but it might actually work well w/my wedding since we just decided it''s going to be in spring (w/the flowers and all)
1.gif

DSCN0907.jpg

futuremrsvh

Rough_Rock
I never thought i''d want to wear one... but i''m starting to want to! (this bride thing is doing strange things to me!) This thread has been lots of help in ideas on where to look.
12.gif

tulipcloud

Shiny_Rock
I''m going to be wearing a tiara and a veil. The prices of tiaras and veils are ourageous!! I ended up getting my tiara from ebay, it was a great deal. I figured if it didn''t turn out like what I wanted, I could still buy another size it was such a steal. I think I saw similar ones like the one I got for about $100 buckeros..but I got mine for 1/3 of the price. As for the veil, I made it myself too! It was really simple, and I added a edge of beading to match my gown. Can''t wait til I get my gown to see everything together! I''ll try to get a pic of my veil with my tiara soon....

tiara3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results