shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you planning your wedding before the proposal?

jessib11

Rough_Rock
Do you find yourself looking at wedding dresses and peeking through jeweller windows??

I know my engagement can't be too far off... But I think I might be a little bit obsessed :???: Each day I walk past 3 jeweller shops on my way home from work and I often flick through wedding magazines in the newsagent...

I have never been the type of girl to obsess about this type of thing, and I think our wedding will be fairly low key and intimate, yet I just love fantasing about cakes and menus and bridesmaid outfits!

How do I get my mind off this stuff while I wait? Tips? Is it bad to think about it?

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I started to fantasize and imagine it and look online and all of that stuff. It started driving me nuts and made me want to share things with my BF. My BF doesn't like me talking about wedding stuff, he wants me to wait until I have the ring and then talk about it. I chose to stop looking things up and discussing it with others to save my sanity and my BF's. Plus, we are planning a year and a half engagement so I will have plenty of time to talk about wedding stuff once I have the ring!

NCSUchick27

Shiny_Rock
I have thought about what I want a lot. I know I want something small and intimate. We also do not want to spend a ton of money. No concrete plans have been made yet. I don't plan on making any until I have a ring on my finger.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yup. Even have temporary holds on two venues.

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
guilty! i've got a dress, venue, and photographer...

BeautyQueen

Rough_Rock
yeah i may have my heart set on a Monique Lhuillier , the wedding magazines might be on my coffee tables ( the SO actually picks them up for me ) but i am still deciding on a destination wedding or trying to plan a wedding in the north 6 yrs ahead :naughty: but i wouldn't say that i am in full on wedding mode...yet

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did/ was obsessed with other details around last year.. But I kept changing my mind about colors, themes, everything every time I found another venue I liked. Haha. I never settled, just obsessed. I never dress-shopped or browsed bc I know there are new styles all the time, so I should wait. So now, I wait :) and focus my any LIW-itis on rings and diamonds!

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Yep! I am already thinking about where we could have the ceremony (local or destination). I think we have decided to have a VERY small ceremony, I'm talking less than 10 people, with maybe a reception following the honeymoon. So I am on the lookout for low-key wedding dresses under $1k. Nothing is getting booked/bought until engagement is official, but I think it's helpful to do some research in the meantime. We have been together for so long that it is a matter of finances at this point, and nothing else.

mmi

ycenvy

Rough_Rock
I am one of the LIW who obsesses over weddings before they are even engaged LOL. I just love weddings in general, however, I don't like the big price tag that comes with them. The main reason I started planning ahead of time is so I can get an idea of how much things cost, such as venue, food, photography, and flowers, since those are the things that are the most expensive. I wanted to know how much I would be looking to spend reasonably for a nice wedding. It's actually a good thing because it helped me determine the budget and gives me ideas early on on ways to save without having to stress so much when the time do comes.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW I am engaged now but slightly regret that I did not pursue more wedding planning/saving before proposal. I avoided it as to not seem/be obsessed with getting married when I was not even engaged yet. I get a bad case of OCD when I'm on a mission for something... :devil: We got engaged this August and are planning to get married next July. We had to chose July due to planning around other weddings we are in next year while also leaving us enough time to save for the wedding we want. However, that doesn't leave us a lot of time to plan or save! I had a budget in my head before I actually knew any prices. Now that I know what it actually costs to have a decent wedding I'm finding that it would have been nice to have had the extra time, so ladies if you think you are "jumping the gun" you may actually be in better shape than me! :D Also I've changed my mind a hundred times on style, colors etc. We are booking the venues this weekend, so now that we'll have some of it solidified I'm hoping we can narrow down the rest quickly.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
Hahahha what a perfect question for all of us crazy ladies! I'm planning to some small small extent - in the same way that I have a timeline for my life, the wedding has to fit into that somewhere. I imagine that it will be in Fall of 2013 and probably October since that is a month when the weather is nice where we live and that doesnt contain either of our birthdays (sept and nov). We've discussed it and it fits for our ideas of buying a house, moving, work, etc.

That being said.. I'm PUSHING for Hawaii even though I know its not realistic. My family/loved ones would all be on board (ARE on board, they stamped it with approval) but his family would never be. Basically, I will be inviting about 20 ppl that are solely my family and friends and then there will be at least 90 of his, plus another 20 or so of our mutual friends. My family will certainly be traveling from out of state so I figure why not go to Hawaii?! But since apparently that would be rude to his fam, we will probs just honeymoon there.
Am I planning in the sense of booking venues? No
Am I planning in the sense of stressing about stuff I can't control? Yes.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
If by planning you mean figuring out the easiest way to elope in the midwest, then yes :)

There is a little place in Ann Arbor which is pretty and reasonable, and a couple of places in Chicago that are gorgeous and very elope-y.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Somewhat, I browse things when I get time like dresses, photographers, venues, reception venues and caterer menus, etc. But I don't make any permanent plans, visit places, try things on, or place holds on dates. I just like to have an idea of some of my preferences because we may have a shorter engagement.

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
We're not really planning per say, but we've been tossing around some ideas like venues, maybe eloping?!? and he's expressed interest in having a chocolate fountain lol! Things are changing a lot right now in our lives as far as his job and the budget are concerned (for the better :D ). If everything goes smoothly we'll have a short engagement and we could be getting married as soon as summer 2012.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results