shape
carat
color
clarity

are you HOT ENOUGH?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17723921/

Dating site that won''t let you in unless you are hot enough. I didn''t know what to think when I read this article, except to be thankful I''m married and that my hubby thinks I''m hot enough!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
hmph. Well *I* wouldn''t rate him an 8!! That''s just mean. It''s like, "How much can we degrade your self esteem today? Oh congrats, you are a resounding 3... please leave this site immediately." It''s a good thing there are more dating sites out there, for sure.

*M*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
He''s rated an 8.2 by who?!??! I love how narcissism finds a way to feed itself.
20.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
EWWWW!!!! He''s gross!!!!
emotion-41.gif
Isn''t that discrimination to only let people in that are "supposedly" good-looking??? How obnoxious!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha hotornot.com has been around for years, this just seems like another version of it. the people at work used to joke about putting up pictures of exs on there or what you would do if you came across a picture or yourself or something. yikes!

i actually used to work with the guy who ran the site sowouldyoudome.com and he was REALLY successful with it. he started it i think as kind of a joke, he worked in marketing at a bayarea company and then the site just boomed! he eventually quit i think to run the website. it was pretty funny.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
You know, these things sort of feed on themselves... Who would want to belong to this kind of site? Somebody that needs to have other people validate them, someone so insecure they have to be judged by others to feel they are worth anything... and who do they find when they get on the site? People just like them! Not because they are "attractive enough" but because they are completely insecure and shallow. I wonder how the marriage/divorce rate is for them!

I''m so glad I don''t have to date anymore!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember hotornot, but that was kind a funny rating system...this was so you can find someone to date (or whatever) that is hot.

Some people still feel funny about saying they met their mate from an online dating service, so I would imagine it would be extra hard to admit "I met my guy on hotenough!"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 8:13:19 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 3/21/2007 8:01:17 PM
Author:TravelingGal
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17723921/

Dating site that won''t let you in unless you are hot enough. I didn''t know what to think when I read this article, except to be thankful I''m married and that my hubby thinks I''m hot enough!
Well.......... he''s yicky. I''m going to go out on a limb and guess *if* I WERE single, I wouldn''t rate high on their ''hot'' scale.. but on the other hand.. why would I want to be involved with people who are that shallow?

I hate people like that. *gag*
20.gif
I so agree! Hey, maybe this is a good website. It keeps all the shallow people together so we don''t have to deal with them!!!!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting...

... but I know this woman who is registered with this dating "service" where basically you have to be an employed professional and pretty well off to join. I guess this really isn''t any different.
20.gif
They kind of narrow the playing field. I think it''s odd to make big sweeping requirements about a potential significant other but if you''re a busy person with limited time... hey, whatever works.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:01:27 AM
Author: MissPrudential
Interesting...

... but I know this woman who is registered with this dating ''service'' where basically you have to be an employed professional and pretty well off to join. I guess this really isn''t any different.
20.gif
They kind of narrow the playing field. I think it''s odd to make big sweeping requirements about a potential significant other but if you''re a busy person with limited time... hey, whatever works.
Well, I can see the point of that, only in the sense that many professionals don''t have a lot of time to date the regular way, so they sign up for a dating service with other people who are the same.

I mean, if you are really a registered 8+ hottie, can''t you get a date pretty easily without an online service?
41.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:01:27 AM
Author: MissPrudential
Interesting...

... but I know this woman who is registered with this dating ''service'' where basically you have to be an employed professional and pretty well off to join. I guess this really isn''t any different.
20.gif
Knock knock! Devil''s advocate here!
11.gif

I have a few single friends who are currently looking for that "special someone". Now these are women in their late 20''s to mid 40''s. Not being partial, but I would say they range from attractive to well above average. (even in NY standards). They are all high level professionals, lawyers, doctors, executives, etc. Now these women make good money, alomost all own their apartments or homes, they travel, hit the gym quite often so they are very fit, and I would say they have all at least tried some online service (except one) and have fallen short each time to find a man who can match them. Not trying to be a snob here, but if you are fit, you want someone to be fit too. If you are well dressed, you may want someone to be the same, and all the same down the line with job, success, etc. So where to find these great guys?

To me, I know so many more women who are aging (and well) but are single due to divorce or careers, or broken LTRs... but all the amazing men with minimal issues are married...
9.gif
Truly, even my single male friends are single on purpose, and not because they can''t find the right girl...

It may be horrible, but I have a friend who met her "significant other" through a site like that, but for men with 6 figure incomes, because she was tired of finding men with plans to live off of her, when all she wanted was a partner in crime...

I say, to each his own. It''s like a trendy club with velvet rope, except online. That''s no different. You have to have the right look to get in those, and in the end, they are nothing special once you get past the velvet rope...
20.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Oh TG.....I'm a sexy beeeooootch...yeah, that's right...I'm bringing sexy back.

Between my squishy, padded pregnant body, pregnancy acne, grey hairs since I missed my appt, toenail fungus & bunions, I'm a force to be reckoned with!!! Think they'd let me on the show? Or on hot or not? wooooooobaby!!! whoooooohooooooo!

LOL

( I actually feel sad for my hubby!)
2.gif

Really though..that stuff is so sad and pathetic.... (edited to add: I think that sites that rate people on a scale of 1 to 10 are pathetic, not dating sites themselves...sorry if that sounded rude! I mean, we are all what we are, and we all have something to offer... )
Divergrrllllll...meow....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Divergrrl I bet you are absolutely beautiful! I love pregnancy!!! (not that I looked hot when I was pregnant - well not in the way you are discussing here anyway - I was always sweating if thats any good!!)

Maisie

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Nicrez, I just read somewhere that there are 9 million more men than women in the US alone. Holy Dating Imbalance Batman!

Maybe I''ll be nicer to my dh...LOL... But I remember being 28 & having a horrible time meeting guys I "clicked" with. My problem with online dating is that while the profile might be OK, you HAVE to have that click or chemistry for a relationship to form. (at least for me).

I met my dh at a concert...I was drawn to what I thought were his good looks and smile (appealed to me) and we hit off immediately. I can usually tell in about 2 minutes if I like a guy or not. I think online dating can prolong that process because folks (like my mom) invest all this time in email/phone activity before meeting and its too confusing.

I tell my single girlfriends that are using dating sites to keep the emails to a minimum, meet for coffee and then either run or proceed, but until you''ve had a chance to meet them (and see if there''s even an attraction or common ground) its worthless.

I do maintain that its harder for women to date men, regardless of what type of person you are (hot or not per se) because there are just more chicas than fellas in the same pool.

More women live alone in the US than men too.

(interestingly enough, more boys are born 51% each year than girls...males are less likey to survive...see...its all their fault! LOL)

Diver...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
icky...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny thing about the whole ''if you are an 8+ then shouldn''t you have lots of dates'' mentality. One of my best friends is an amazing beautiful woman, she is definitely an 8+ (she actually was on another one of those sites like perfect10.com kinda thing, similar to this where everyone is hot...she did it more as a joke really though but struck up some friendships I think)...intelligent, very career accomplished, family money, owns her own home, etc etc...she also has a great personality...and she has the HARDEST time finding people to date. Most men are intimidated by her looks, her money, her career, whatever. She also has a really dry sense of humor so it''s hard for nervous men to relate to her at first...she gets turned off very easily by timidness kinda thing etc. So she has a really hard time and she is definitely an 8+ in more ways than one.

I have some other amazing, fabulous friends who also have troubles finding the RIGHT people to date. There are so many online dating sites, you think that one would have tapped into THE recipe for success by now? If there is one??!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:19:36 PM
Author: Mara
Funny thing about the whole ''if you are an 8+ then shouldn''t you have lots of dates'' mentality. One of my best friends is an amazing beautiful woman, she is definitely an 8+ (she actually was on another one of those sites like perfect10.com kinda thing, similar to this where everyone is hot...she did it more as a joke really though but struck up some friendships I think)...intelligent, very career accomplished, family money, owns her own home, etc etc...she also has a great personality...and she has the HARDEST time finding people to date. Most men are intimidated by her looks, her money, her career, whatever. She also has a really dry sense of humor so it''s hard for nervous men to relate to her at first...she gets turned off very easily by timidness kinda thing etc. So she has a really hard time and she is definitely an 8+ in more ways than one.

I have some other amazing, fabulous friends who also have troubles finding the RIGHT people to date. There are so many online dating sites, you think that one would have tapped into THE recipe for success by now? If there is one??!!
My guess is that there are plenty of men out there who would date her, but she is looking for someone who is her equal, which is much harder to find.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Can he be banned from his own site???
37.gif

Ok, onto this dating thing. I honestly think that looks has very little to do with getting dates with men. Lately I''ve been getting back in touch with some old friends (high school), so we''re all 27, and I''ve noticed this really surprising amount of girls that are single. And on their facebook profiles (it''s like this social network tool, kind of like my space maybe) a lot of them put comments like "I''m so disappointed in men," "when am I going to find Mr. right...send him my WAY!", "I want to get married, find someone for me!" Anyways, obviously, these are girls I know from high school, very smart, very pretty, accomplished girls. And I''ve started to wonder if they''re too focused on finding someone etc., that guys feel it and are turned off. Reading there blogs/comments, made me feel sad for them, their dating adventures is full of stuff that would make you cringe. Like you''re grabbing the monitor saying..."you didn''t tell him that. NO!" I really suscribe to the less you want them, the harder they will work to get you. Who knows though, attraction is such a complete mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results