shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you getting careless as you age with.....

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitchen knives??

I am ordinarily very sensible, but over the last few years have had a couple of whoppers. About 4 years ago I was holding a sprout stalk with my left hand & cutting off sprouts with my right, cutting down towards my body... yeah.... like a complete lunatic. Sprout flew off, knife slammed into my left thumb holding the base of the stalk. Gallons of blood. Two stitches. Scar.

In January I was chopping a large, very hard sweet potato into wedges, again holding with my left hand & cutting with the right. Wet potato suddenly flipped & the knife slammed into the side of my left index finger at a jaunty angle between hand knuckle & first finger knuckle, right down to the bone. It looked like a mini c-section. Gallons of blood. Four stitches. Big scar.

Just now, washing up a large knife without rubber gloves (I ALWAYS wear my gloves usually), lifting big knife from the sink with my right hand to pop on the drainer, it slipped, flipped 180 & caught the side of my right thumb. No stitches required, but it’s a pretty long, bleedy nick.

I am a bleeder. I could do without loosing extra through carelessness.

Anyone else getting a bit accident prone by always being in a hurry to get everyone fed & watered?!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’m getting more careful with age :lol:

When I was younger, I tripped on a step and put my hand out to stop myself, hand went straight through the glass panel, sliced a bit off my finger, and almost severed one of the big veins in my wrist :shock:

Then there was the time I almost drowned on our honeymoon, nearly knocked myself unconscious at work .................. I won’t go on :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’m getting more careful with age :lol:

When I was younger, I tripped on a step and put my hand out to stop myself, hand went straight through the glass panel, sliced a bit off my finger, and almost severed one of the big veins in my wrist :shock:

Then there was the time I almost drowned on our honeymoon, nearly knocked myself unconscious at work .................. I won’t go on :lol:

There is really only room for improvement with a track record like that :lol:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have a track record that's painfully similar as Austina! Fainted at work, hit face on counter top going down and smashed my 2 front teeth. Nearly drowned white water rafting on my honeymoon.

I'm terrible at burning myself when I'm rushing in the kitchen, usually grabbing things out of the microwave and get steam burns quite regularly.

It's a minefield out there ladies! I'm getting clumsy as I age too, nearly tripped head first down our stairs in a pair of too high shoes lol.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big knife fan to begin with. I try to make other people cut things. But high heels. I can only wear them if I'm standing still or sitting down. Walking in them feels dangerous.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I've become less reckless in general not more so.... and probably less careless.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive started to buy prediced chicken from the supermarket after i almost lost my finger nail and a bit of finger a wee months bsck making soup
lucky the other half patched me up pretty good
i knew it was bad when he was being so attentive !
20190130_111853.jpg
its kind of healed into a bump and i never lost my nail ...funny i remembee it being much more grosome

still have a scar from chopping pumpkin - also for soup from years ago

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah I like to think I'm not clumsy but so far I've broken both feet (separate incidents!), badly broken my little finger and waaaay more bumps & bruises than I care to admit! :whistle:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not allowed to use sharp knives. I’m dangerous and its hereditary. My mother is equally hopeless. I am not allowed near anything sharp, pointy and electric powered especially chainsaws or axes.
I am also not allowed to use ladders.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not allowed to use sharp knives. I’m dangerous and its hereditary. My mother is equally hopeless. I am not allowed near anything sharp, pointy and electric powered especially chainsaws or axes.

My husband says I shouldn’t be allowed near knives. And earlier this week whilst cutting the front hedges with electric cutters, I severed the cord. Didn’t half go with an explosion & the smell was horrific! Fortunately I had them plugged into an extension lead with a circuit breaker. I finished up with manual cutters & a big glass of wine :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a walking accident looking for somewhere to happen. Fortunately I’m also quite robust and heal fast ha ha.
Though my best “accident” was in the gym on one of those floor rowing machines.
Somehow I managed to “run over” the back of my t shirt as I pushed back. I was then caught up under the seat runner so tightly that the neck of my T-shirt was actually strangling me. I also couldn’t make a sound. After what seemed like 10 minutes, more like 30 seconds, someone noticed and came over to help. It then got really bad and people were running like chooks with no heads trying to find scissors or a knife as I had actually gone red / blue in the face and fainted. Thankfully they cut me out of my T shirt and I was ok. I declined an ambulance and with a red and bruised neck and my T shirt in pieces called it a night :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a walking accident looking for somewhere to happen. Fortunately I’m also quite robust and heal fast ha ha.
Though my best “accident” was in the gym on one of those floor rowing machines.
Somehow I managed to “run over” the back of my t shirt as I pushed back. I was then caught up under the seat runner so tightly that the neck of my T-shirt was actually strangling me. I also couldn’t make a sound. After what seemed like 10 minutes, more like 30 seconds, someone noticed and came over to help. It then got really bad and people were running like chooks with no heads trying to find scissors or a knife as I had actually gone red / blue in the face and fainted. Thankfully they cut me out of my T shirt and I was ok. I declined an ambulance and with a red and bruised neck and my T shirt in pieces called it a night :lol-2:

You’re the best!! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A big fat yes from me. I have always been accident prone (just ask my parents and look at my scarred knees from accidents and falling down all the time when I was little) and it has gotten worse with age. Not always my fault (flat tire on bike and couldn't declip from the pedals and broke tibia and fibula in 2014) but accident prone nonetheless. Not fun and I am trying to be super careful but life happens and I am for sure accident prone.

If you want me to share my accident prone stories I will but suffice to say I am a Klutz with a capital K.:oops2:
There is a reason I am not allowed to wear anything with a heel.

My husband says I shouldn’t be allowed near knives. And earlier this week whilst cutting the front hedges with electric cutters, I severed the cord. Didn’t half go with an explosion & the smell was horrific! Fortunately I had them plugged into an extension lead with a circuit breaker. I finished up with manual cutters & a big glass of wine :lol-2:

Huge ditto from me and my dh says the same thing. I am not allowed to be around knives. I don't always follow this rule mind you but if Greg is around I let him do the cutting. :halo:

Ditto. And yes to the hereditary part. My dad is a huge klutz too. One year he broke both legs cleaning the pool. You cannot make this stuff up.:geek2:

accident.gif

Stay safe @Alex T and no more bleeding for you please.:pray: My SIL has the same condition you do I believe and yes please do not cut yourself.
Stay safe!!!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am ridiculously cautious with knives. I only use 2 of the way too many that we have. They're not even that sharp. Sometimes I get triggered watching cooking videos--who taught these people how to cut towards themselves. Who taught them to peel vegetables toward themselves?:eek2: My husband has 3 top quality Japanese knives. I never touch them. He has cut himself spectacularly a couple of times. No thanks!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am ridiculously cautious with knives. I only use 2 of the way too many that we have. They're not even that sharp. Sometimes I get triggered watching cooking videos--who taught these people how to cut towards themselves. Who taught them to peel vegetables toward themselves?:eek2: My husband has 3 top quality Japanese knives. I never touch them. He has cut himself spectacularly a couple of times. No thanks!

I think I can mostly blame my husband for ALL the knife incidents. He randomly sharpens them before he cooks at the weekend & I am used to having to make them work a bit harder. So then KAPOW! Bleedy flesh! Yeah.... I’m sure I can pin these on him.... :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I have 2 burns on each wrist right now, I sliced my finger almost in 1/2 3 years ago at Thanksgiving, fell in Florence and had to have 3 guys get me up, screwed up my knee horribly, fell this past winter on the road in the snow, and the list goes on.. I'm not allowed around knives anymore. :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSA: please make sure your knives are sharp! Dull knives are much more dangerous than sharp knives. As a volunteer in a commercial kitchen setting, I cannot tell you how many times people have cut themselves because the knives they have us use are dull as dishwater. Onions are the worst - the skins are slippery and dull knives skip right over the surface and into people's hands.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big big big ditto to making sure those knives are sharp! It seemed so counterintuitive that a sharper knife would be safer, but then I catalogued what I actually did with dull knives - leaning into them to drive them into vegetables, tugging them toward my other hand to rip meat instead of slicing through, jabbing instead of shearing... :errrr:

I burn myself. The going joke is that I've got to burn myself once per cooking venture... I never seem to do it twice, so once I've gotten that first burn in I'm good to go the rest of the day. The nose is a recent addition to the burn face on the wrist - I'm confident I'll accidentally give myself the mouth one day, and I wonder if it'll be smiling or frowning :roll2:

upload_2019-5-30_15-21-38.png

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, I have 2 burns on each wrist right now, I sliced my finger almost in 1/2 3 years ago at Thanksgiving, fell in Florence and had to have 3 guys get me up, screwed up my knee horribly, fell this past winter on the road in the snow, and the list goes on.. I'm not allowed around knives anymore. :)

:lol:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, yeah......another one here not allowed around power tools, ladders, or knives. Let's see - a sampling: tore eyeball with tenor saxophone, broke nose 4 times (once with a bassoon and once tripping over the end of my own foot and falling into a latched door), dislocated shoulder twice, cut off a small part of the tip of my left index finger with an oboe reed knife.... My husband won't come near me with a garden rake in my hand because I've nearly hit him so many times. And I am a terribly ill-fated driver - I've been in six accidents of some seriousness, five of which resulted in the car being totaled. (The first time was absolutely my fault, no question; the second was totally the other driver's fault; the third one was a spin-out on icy roads, and literally every one else on that road spun out as well, to the point that within 10 minutes the highway patrol closed that whole stretch of highway; the fourth, I hit a patch of a ton of loose gravel and suddenly my brakes would not work no matter how hard I tried; the fifth, I hydroplaned on wet roads and the brakes again completely wouldn't work when the car in front of me stopped suddenly; and the sixth, just this past February, was a deer leaping out in front of me at the absolute last second with no visual warning. By some blessed miracle, I only had the most minor of injuries if any at all with all of these.) And I've been attacked seriously by animals twice, resulting in having to have the complete rabies series both times.:eek2:

@cmd2014, thanks for the link to the gloves - maybe there's hope I can be allowed in the kitchen after all!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yeah......another one here not allowed around power tools, ladders, or knives. Let's see - a sampling: tore eyeball with tenor saxophone, broke nose 4 times (once with a bassoon and once tripping over the end of my own foot and falling into a latched door), dislocated shoulder twice, cut off a small part of the tip of my left index finger with an oboe reed knife.... My husband won't come near me with a garden rake in my hand because I've nearly hit him so many times. And I am a terribly ill-fated driver - I've been in six accidents of some seriousness, five of which resulted in the car being totaled. (The first time was absolutely my fault, no question; the second was totally the other driver's fault; the third one was a spin-out on icy roads, and literally every one else on that road spun out as well, to the point that within 10 minutes the highway patrol closed that whole stretch of highway; the fourth, I hit a patch of a ton of loose gravel and suddenly my brakes would not work no matter how hard I tried; the fifth, I hydroplaned on wet roads and the brakes again completely wouldn't work when the car in front of me stopped suddenly; and the sixth, just this past February, was a deer leaping out in front of me at the absolute last second with no visual warning. By some blessed miracle, I only had the most minor of injuries if any at all with all of these.) And I've been attacked seriously by animals twice, resulting in having to have the complete rabies series both times.:eek2:

@cmd2014, thanks for the link to the gloves - maybe there's hope I can be allowed in the kitchen after all!

Crikey! Remind me never to travel in a car with you!! Amazing that you have never been seriously injured - you must have a very hard working Guardian Angel!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for these stories - I have had a really good giggle reading some of them & suddenly I don’t feel so clumsy anymore!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSA: please make sure your knives are sharp! Dull knives are much more dangerous than sharp knives. As a volunteer in a commercial kitchen setting, I cannot tell you how many times people have cut themselves because the knives they have us use are dull as dishwater. Onions are the worst - the skins are slippery and dull knives skip right over the surface and into people's hands.

Yes, this is 100% correct. My dh always says how important it is to keep your knives super sharp. But he loves sharpening them so that is an easy task for him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for these stories - I have had a really good giggle reading some of them & suddenly I don’t feel so clumsy anymore!

You're a mere babe @Alex T compared to some of us Klutzy Kids lol.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is 100% correct. My dh always says how important it is to keep your knives super sharp. But he loves sharpening them so that is an easy task for him.

Can’t beat a nice clean slice through your hand versus a jagged blunt one. Surely less damage :lol::lol:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t beat a nice clean slice through your hand versus a jagged blunt one. Surely less damage :lol::lol:

The clean slice will heal more easily so there’s that. :whistle::lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, all this talk about knives is making my stomach turn. I am actually very afraid of them. The only one I use regularly is a rounded steak knife, that is small and light.

I do feel less coordinated as I age. I try to do things more slowly and carefully, and thoughtfully. I try not to zone out or be as distracted.

BMI

Shiny_Rock
Our knife block is almost entirely filled with serrated knives these days. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying this but since they require a back and forth motion to cut, slips and mishaps no longer result in bleeding fingers for us. When the serrated edge gets dull we just buy new ones, but they are relatively inexpensive and most of them have lasted us for years. I am definitely more klutzy as I've aged and I think it has a lot to do with the post 40 vision changes. It's a lot easier to cut yourself or bang your hands into things when you can't see as well as you did in your youth. :(2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results