You?

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Oh most definitely! Look at all the Romantic jewellery we've got:

portrait-of-a-woman-by-mikls-barabs-1831-768x965__500.jpg

countess-julie-von-woyna-by-friedrich-von-amerling-1832__500.jpg

magasin-fr-konst-nyheter-och-moder-1931-sweden_500.jpg

All that gold! :geek2:

But maybe I'll skip the bonnets this summer, hats may be radical but are more practical. :bigsmile:
olian-joann-80-godeys-plate-4-figures-b-and-c_500.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a doubt!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not romantic.
I don't care about gifts, flowers, holding hands, love notes, etc. My DH has it easy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C52B98E6-B230-4B68-82B3-71A464D39FA5.jpeg

EAB3C4AE-EC3C-408A-B954-46F54441A63F.jpeg

Yes. I am a romantic.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. DH is the romantic one, at least that’s what the mistresses tell me ;-)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!!!! Very much so!!!

I'm a combination of romantic and morbid at the same time. Hubby is my darling, the apple of my eye.

Funny story

So my wonderful Father in law died young (this is not the funny bit obviously) and I've always had this part fear/part acceptance that I'm on borrowed time with hubby and he too will leave me young. We discuss it pretty openly.

One day after a trip to the sand dunes I was telling him how I'm slowly coming around to accepting his impending death. Then I read him this translated line from a Chinese series that really resonated with me. I told him that it's really helped me accept that I may lose him one day.

"I always thought a lost love was something to feel pity over, but today I realise that there's a time for happy moments and there's a time when we have to lose them."

Except I was bawling before I got to the end of the quote and hubby's like: Babe you can't grieve for decades over someone who's not dead yet!!!

And then I was all sheepish. Clearly I need to work on the acceptance part!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was deeply romantic as a child.
I have nary a romantic bone as an adult.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am not a romantic. I would like a thoughtful birthday gift . I hate when people give me a gift and I can tell they gave it no thought. I would swoon over a guy who washed my floors as a surprise for me. That would end up romantic for him.

I am sentimental. That has to do with memories. Time is fleeting and so looking back makes me nostalgic, sometime teary, and sometimes happy.

I did have one boyfriend who was romantic. He would turn on music and we danced in the living room. He loved it. I felt stupid. I did it for him.

Annette

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a romantic at all, don't really believe in Valentine's day, or romantic gestures etc. I'm more pragmatic, as long as my dh loyal, faithful, present every day, I'm a happy camper!

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Yes, most definitely. Love hand holding, snuggles and showing affection to those I love the most.
I also relate to accepting that DH may leave me earlier in life. I know it stems from losing both parents and a grandfather at a young-ish age. My DH lives by the motto that he is here for a good time not a long time as well, so there's that.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I both are, but not necessarily in a completely traditional way. We are those people who will dance in the kitchen. We don't really exchange gifts at birthdays or holidays, but we buy little things for each other throughout the year without needing an occasion. We're both very physically affectionate. I was raised that way, but he was not. My parents are big huggers, his parents were FOTB Asian immigrant parents who didn't really show physical affection to him, so my family and I are making up for all the hugs he never got growing up, and he loves it.

We're both very conscious of the fact that we met at age 39, and missed out on a lot of life together, and that makes the time we do have together all the more precious. I'm like @mellowyellowgirl that I worry about losing him early. He works an inherently dangerous job, and is a bit of a risk-taker. On the other hand, he very much worries about Alzheimer's, which his mother suffered with, and cancer, which claimed his father.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesss! It’s not a holiday if I am not gifted flowers or gifts!! I’ve never understood the term “date night” or the need to designate a night that term bc as long as you share a bedroom, an evening, etc. with your SO, it’s always date night! I love to do thoughtful things for hubby as well. I’d like to think that he is romantic also bc he still loves to surprise me and show me new experiences.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never understood the term “date night”

Truth. Every day (and night) is special with my DH. I never forget it either. It is a precious relationship and life has a way of twisting and turning so I am forever cognizant and appreciative of what we have. No one is promised the future so I cherish each and every moment we have together.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True story...

When I was courting with my then husband to be, we went to Paris and visited Sacré-Cœur at night to admire the scene as it was supposed to be very romantic, and I came away disappointed as I thought it was nothing special.

We went to Rome for our honeymoon, after I watched the film Roman Holiday and fell in love with the eternal city portrayed in that film, which I consider as one of the most romantic film ever made. Again, I came away disappointed, and it did not help that there was a lot of renovation works in the city being carried out for Y2K celebrations.

After my divorce, I went back to Paris with my late partner, and went to Sacré-Cœur again at night, and this time, I got it why Paris is often cited as one of the most romantic cities. It was magical.

My late partner provided me with the missing fireworks that was lacking in all my previous relationships, and I dearly missed him for that to this day (he died in 2008).

DK :confused2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True story...

When I was courting with my then husband to be, we went to Paris and visited Sacré-Cœur at night to admire the scene as it was supposed to be very romantic, and I came away disappointed as I thought it was nothing special.

We went to Rome for our honeymoon, after I watched the film Roman Holiday and fell in love with the eternal city portrayed in that film, which I consider as one of the most romantic film ever made. Again, I came away disappointed, and it did not help that there was a lot of renovation works in the city being carried out for Y2K celebrations.

After my divorce, I went back to Paris with my late partner, and went to Sacré-Cœur again at night, and this time, I got it why Paris is often cited as one of the most romantic cities. It was magical.

My late partner provided me with the missing fireworks that was lacking in all my previous relationships, and I dearly missed him for that to this day (he died in 2008).

So true. What makes a place romantic is who you are with, not where you are. I am so sorry your beloved partner died but glad you had that time with him to cherish always. Gentle (((hugs))).

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I am very romantic, more than my DH is that's for sure. We still kiss & cuddle on the sofa if I instigate it. He will surprise me with his own way of expressing love & romance like buying me wine & chocolates for no apparent reason & he frequently tells me he loves me without me saying it first=)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So true. What makes a place romantic is who you are with, not where you are. I am so sorry your beloved partner died but glad you had that time with him to cherish always. Gentle (((hugs))).

Thanks for that, and I fully agree in that the person one is with makes a place romantic, and not the location itself.

He was the only person who was a compatible travelling companion, and I really miss him for that.

I nearly threw my ex-hubby out while we were on a multi-stop car rally, in the middle of the road in Italy, for him to make his own way back.

However, I decided to bite the bullet and finish the trip with him. That was the last time we went on holiday together, except for trips to visit our respective families.

That's probably when we started to grow apart, hey ho!

I think I am a mix of romantic and not - I like doing sweet and special things, love flowers and thoughtful gifts; making time for the intimacy and love in a relationship. On the other hand, I am intensely practical. I won’t compromise on my goals, lifestyle, beliefs and dreams (obviously up to a point yes, but not beyond that) for a relationship. I don’t feel like love conquers all, and I think “like” is more important in a relationship than “love”. I prefer to think of my SO as a choice I make every day, not a part of my life or an obligation or a duty. I am financially independent and have an entire support system outside of my SO because if ever necessary, I can be alone.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been a romantic. Growing up in the shadow of my parents very messy divorce got rid of any romantic notions I might have had. Watching all my siblings divorce more than once has confirmed that I will never be romantic. Sadly, although I have been married 35 years I'm much more of a transactional person.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that, and I fully agree in that the person one is with makes a place romantic, and not the location itself.

I will also add that actions speak volumes over words. While it is nice to hear romantic and loving words what one does shows how much one is loved. I know my dh loves me in everything he does for me. From cooking and baking for me, to altering my clothes, to building me things (and buying me bling) and just by being my soft place to fall when life gets tough. In every action it shows. So while he does say "I love you" almost as much as I say it to him (haha) he shows it in every little and big thing he does for me. Not just special occasions but every single day.

showyou.png

That, to me, is romance. Being there through it all. The good times and the hard times to the super challenging times.

When life is easy love is easy but when life gets tough and your partner is there to help soften the blow by being the one constant who loves and cares for you through it all....that is true romance and true love. IMO.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I like the idea of being a transactional person, it does not matter what you say you are or the sentiment. Functionally you are exactly what you do. This tends to be a very reliable way of approaching people -- there is much less disappointment/un-met expectations/reconciling with reality/trying to piece together the different facets of the story that dont really tally up. It doesn't leave much room for romanticism, you just end up figuring you should just execute it rather than talk about it.

I'm probably still slightly romantic, as I have trouble completely following this implacably in practice. It bites me everytime I dont follow it though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results