shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you a Pluviophile

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I recall sitting on the porch with my dad when I was little, watching the rain with him because he liked it. I'd get to drink the foam off his beer. Different times, I guess. :lol-2:

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, as I don't like being wet, and being wet and cold in the wind is miserable.

The pets (a cat and a dog) do not like to venture out when it is raining.

However, given the choice, I would rather have rain than being in very hot and humid without air conditioning.

DK :lol-2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When
Adore it. Love the smell as it starts, the freshness after it finishes, the sound of it at night, watching it falling.

+1

... only when it's pleasant.

But not when rain is too heavy with strong winds, or it goes on too long resulting in damage and floods ... :knockout::knockout::knockout:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the sound of rain and how it sounds different depending on where you are.
I love the smell of the air during and after the rain.
Often my dh and I enjoy walking in the rain. I find it romantic and enjoyable when dressed properly so I'm not cold or wet.

However, I definitely do not appreciate the flooding and havoc it can sometimes wreak. Especially during a thunder storm with high winds.

So it is (as with almost all things) a mixed bag for me.
I both love and hate the rain depending on the specific circumstances. Under the right circumstances it is such a peaceful calming experience. Unfortunately under the wrong conditions (what will be happening later today into tomorrow) it can be a nightmare experience.

What is that quote? Something about the bad allowing one to truly appreciate the good.
The unpleasant and tragic experiences allow us to appreciate the wondrous events that much more...

And let's not forget about the marvel of the rainbow...

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 5.46.25 AM.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only like rain when it comes with a big storm, crashing thunder and lightning that lights up the sky. Otherwise it’s a pass on a rainy day, hate being wet, hate driving in it, hate having to bring the dogs in and out in it. Also anyone that has dogs is familiar with the wet dog smell, yet another reason not to be a fan :sick:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't like rain. I grew up in PA where it rained. On your picnic, on your camping trip, on your.....well anytime you had plans. And rain ruins your suede coat. Back when we wore suede coats.
So now that I live in the high desert, we rarely have rain and I'm thrilled.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only like rain when it comes with a big storm, crashing thunder and lightning that lights up the sky. Otherwise it’s a pass on a rainy day, hate being wet, hate driving in it, hate having to bring the dogs in and out in it. Also anyone that has dogs is familiar with the wet dog smell, yet another reason not to be a fan :sick:

Whilst experiencing a typical English winter over here with lots of rain & icy weather, I am learning ALL about the damp pup smell :lol-2::sick:

However, I do love listening to it if I am cosy & warm inside. I have a panoramic roof on my car which is mostly closed by the visor as I hate the sun from directly above when driving, but I will always open it back on a rainy day.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst experiencing a typical English winter over here with lots of rain & icy weather, I am learning ALL about the damp pup smell :lol-2::sick:

However, I do love listening to it if I am cosy & warm inside. I have a panoramic roof on my car which is mostly closed by the visor as I hate the sun from directly above when driving, but I will always open it back on a rainy day.

You know, I have a sunroof on our car and I hardly ever open it, I just like having the light from above streaming in. I’ve never thought about sliding the cover back on a rainy day but I’m going to give it a try.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Not really. Or snow either. That said, I "like" it when the farmers like it.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, not a fan of rain although I appreciate the necessity for it. Like all things, in abundance it can be destructive! It generally puts a damper on my day and I hate dealing with being wet - so does my pup!!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in the Midwest, so I love a good rainstorm, the more thunder and lightning, the better.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I actually love rain. I love a thunderstorm even better.
The trouble is it almost always means a terrible migraine from the drop in barometric pressure if I don't premedicate at exactly the right time.

* When I was little I had a particular recurring nightmare for years when it rained.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Adore it. Love the smell as it starts, the freshness after it finishes, the sound of it at night, watching it falling.

Same as @foxinsox

As a kid, in the summer we lived up in the mountains in a lodge (fishing/tourist business), and I adored the sound of rain on the roof! Loved thunder, and seeing lightning flashing right around us in the daylight. Hearing the "ping" sound of rain on the still lake; chasing little rivulets to puddles, and splashing them about—bare feet, if I could sneak past my mom's watchful eye. :lol:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love rain. I love a thunderstorm even better.
The trouble is it almost always means a terrible migraine from the drop in barometric pressure if I don't premedicate at exactly the right time.

* When I was little I had a particular recurring nightmare for years when it rained.

I have this issue too. But usually the headache comes before the rain starts and once it rains, the headache gets better. I don't know why. Putting that aside, I like a soft rain in warm weather and don't mind being out in it. I don't like to be out in the pouring rain, especially in the winter when it is cold and windy. But I do like it if I'm indoors and can hear it on my skylights. I especially like hearing it at night and I sleep very well when it rains overnight. My dog hates getting wet so only in and out for him in the rain, snow, etc.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love summer rain, the sort you can smell coming and the small as it hits hot tarmac or even a dusty gravel road
i also like the smell after the rain when the earth is all washed and clean, especially in a forest
not so fund of cold freezing windy rain especially horizontal rain of the sort you get in Wellington although being out in a storm like that means the best shower in the whole world when you get home but definatly not fun walking to work in that - working home not so bad
we get a lot of thunderstorms here, so long as i dont get struck my lightening im ok but the cats dont like it, Borris hates the rain on the roof, poor love
i like being all warm and snug as a bug on a rug in bed listening to the rain so long as i know the outside cats are warm and dry in their beds in the wash house

its been very hot this week and terribly hot at work and walking to the bus stop and in busses with o air con
i would take any kind of rain to cool down

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not that I particularly like the rain, but living here, any rain is always welcome.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it relaxing and sort of comforting as long as I'm indoors and listening to the sound of it hitting the roof. I appreciate it as someone who grew up in the rural Midwest, a place with a lot of farms that depended on it. I find it a hindrance when I'm forced to be out in it, wearing nice clothes and shoes. On the other hand, I like being out in it with the proper gear--rain boots, waterproof shell, etc.

I like the way it cools things off in the middle of summer when it's been dry and very hot with no relief for days on end. I like humidity and the way it makes my dry skin feel hydrated, so when the rain finally comes during those times it's welcome. I love not having to water my flowers and plants!

I do enjoy the smell after the rain--"petrichor" a term coined in 1964. Here's another article about the term; I find it fascinating to learn more about our senses.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. It's been raining steadily here for 24 hours but is about to stop and become extremely windy and cold for the next several days.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
fire ban kicked in here today
send us all your un-needed rain (in moderation)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results