shape
carat
color
clarity

Are/were your wedding shoes sensibly priced? Can you get more wear out of them? Tempted to spend m

Do you consider your wedding shoes to be more economical or splurge-tastic?

• Splurge-tastic!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Somewhere in the middle--spent more than usual but not so much that it was extravagant

• Other answer not mentioned below (please feel free to explain further)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Lace...the picture really doesn't do it justice - it's a hard thing to photograph!

(eta - lordy, it came out big!)

1.gif

VintageLace1.jpg

Patchee

Shiny_Rock
I spent $100.00 on FLIP FLOPS for my wedding!!!!

Go and get them shoes Gwen!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 9:15:28 AM
Author: pwendyp
Date: 8/31/2009 5:51:32 AM

Author: gwendolyn

Thank you! My dress is by Australian designer Roz la Kelin, and the shoes are by Diane Hassall.
1.gif

Hi gwendolyn!

I occasionally come into this area - what's not to love about looking at all the gorgeous images of flowers and gowns, and everything!

I caught the poll on your shoes, and read through the posts, and am so glad you decided to go for the shoes, they truly are beautiful - well done!

I've been meaning to ask you, after seeing that you are planning 2 'weddings' - one here and one over the pond, which of you is from stateside, and which of you is from the UK? Or both from one or other?!

We've had wedding plans on hold, for quite a while, owing to some personal stuff happening in our lives, but we are going to get the ball rolling pretty soon again.

We also(?)are one of each...him from California, and me a UK'er - so have been toying with either getting over pond to do the deed, in NY - or staying put. If we make the move, it likely will be for good, so a big step, and we just got a new doggie to add into the mix!

Anyways...I saw your dress, it is so lovely, and the shoes are such a match for it - it's going to look gorgeous.

I went onto the site, as I was so impressed, even though that style is not quite for me. I'm a tad older than the normal 'bride' - so something a little less bridal is wanted/needed!

I saw something, that totally blew me away - and although I probably wont get this exact one, it is the style I have been searching for.

A year ago, I bought some vintage lace, which is to die for...eyelash edging and all! It's a mid ivory, with re-embroidery, which I bought for a steal, and have way too much at 11 yards!! But it came as a bundle...so bought it all!

So, my search is on - for a paper pattern, and a wonderful seamstress, to make this dress - or one very like it! I intend to have something across the shoulders too, or even a short jacket to go with it, as I would love to have sleeves perhaps...we shall see.

So - thank you...your gorgeous dress led me to see this one!

And, I can't wait to see your shoes!!

Wendy

1.gif

RozLaKelinAquilaGown
Wow, that is such a beautiful style of dress! So glad that my dress has lead you to yours!
1.gif

My hubs-to-be is English--born and bred in North Yorkshire. I am American, from the East Coast (Maryland, most recently). We now live outside London--I've been in the country for two years and will probably be staying here for the foreseeable future--too complicated job-wise to up and move back to the states at present. We want to buy a house in the next few years, and that will be here in England somewhere (hopefully more up north, maybe near Manchester). But yeah, for the near future, we're planning on staying here. It's hard sometimes, especially at Christmas, but it gets easier, and we'd be really hurting financially if we moved back to the states, so we won't yet.

So, our wedding plans are to do a small registry office wedding in J's hometown and then a homemade reception party at his folks' house. Then, two months later, we're going to fly to the states to have a big post-wedding celebration party! So, best of both wedding worlds, methinks! Or at least that's the hope.
2.gif

Best wishes with your wedding planning--it can be really overwhelming trying to figure out where to do it. If you ever need to bounce your ideas off of anyone about wedding planning, we're here for you! There are more than a couple international relationships on here and sometimes it helps to talk to people who have been in the same sort of situation as you, and lots of people on PS have really great ideas!
1.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, you''ll get more use out of those than I will out of my 4-inch shiny red Carlos Santana shoes! Mine were on sale for 35$, but I only wore them for an hour, and will probably never wear them again except for the DH on special occasions, lol.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 1:56:20 PM
Author: Patchee
I spent $100.00 on FLIP FLOPS for my wedding!!!!

Go and get them shoes Gwen!
Ooooh, I want to see pics of those babies! Just posted my wedding flippy-floppies and am so so excited about them! Want to see yours so I can be all excited about them too!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 2:48:16 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Haha, you''ll get more use out of those than I will out of my 4-inch shiny red Carlos Santana shoes! Mine were on sale for 35$, but I only wore them for an hour, and will probably never wear them again except for the DH on special occasions, lol.
''Special occasions,'' eh? Do they go well with slinky lingerie?
31.gif
2.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I want those shoes.... I want I want I want.
Worth the splurge, and I haven''t seen your dress before, it''s absolutely stunning!

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi again Gwendolyn!

Thanks for the reply! Your wedding plans sound lovely, getting to do things on both sides of the pond!

We are still in limbo really, still undecided whether to take the plunge and hop over there for a few years/or forever!

I guess it will sort in the fullness of time, but NY appeals to me hugely as a place to tie the knot - and his brother lives there, so all''s good!

I have been looking at the Roz dress I saw so many times! I adore that style, and it reminds me of a gown and jacket I saw a while ago, that also inspires. Take 4/6 inches off the length of this one, and make is less full on the skirt, and it would be about right for me!

IanStuartBelgravia

I love the jacket with it...just my kinda thing!

1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 11:21:22 PM
Author: ckrickett

Worth the splurge, and I haven''t seen your dress before, it''s absolutely stunning!
Ooh, get them too! Then we could be shoe twins!!
11.gif
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 4:56:02 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi again Gwendolyn!

Thanks for the reply! Your wedding plans sound lovely, getting to do things on both sides of the pond!

We are still in limbo really, still undecided whether to take the plunge and hop over there for a few years/or forever!

I guess it will sort in the fullness of time, but NY appeals to me hugely as a place to tie the knot - and his brother lives there, so all''s good!

I have been looking at the Roz dress I saw so many times! I adore that style, and it reminds me of a gown and jacket I saw a while ago, that also inspires. Take 4/6 inches off the length of this one, and make is less full on the skirt, and it would be about right for me!

IanStuartBelgravia

I love the jacket with it...just my kinda thing!

1.gif
Hi!! You do have excellent taste, m''dear! Can''t wait to see your dress when you get it done--no doubt it will be absolutely stunning!
30.gif

So is your plan (if you decide to marry in NYC) to go over for your wedding and then stay there, get jobs, a place to live, etc. or would you come back to the UK after getting married and then go back after setting things up in NYC? Just asking because of the visa situation--have you looked into the paperwork and costs you''d need to take care of? It can make things complicated because it usually takes a while to get the paperwork back (about 2 months, maybe?) and I don''t think you''d be allowed to work while you wait. I think you''re allowed to apply for a work permit alongside the fiance visa, but since the fiance visa is only good for 90 days and doesn''t automatically come with work permission, not sure it would be worth it time-wise.

These are some of the reasons we''ve decided to just stay put in the UK, since I''ve got a work permit here and am a legal resident until August 2010.
3.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 6:45:04 AM

11.gif
9.gif

I''m considering it, but shipping them to the states might be reaaallly expensive

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 7:39:24 AM
Date: 9/2/2009 6:45:04 AM

11.gif
9.gif

I''m considering it, but shipping them to the states might be reaaallly expensive
Looks like normal (not express) shipping to the US is £20 from the site where I found them to be the cheapest (for £99), which with the current currency exchange, puts them at about US$195 all included.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/2/2009 6:58:01 AM
Date: 9/2/2009 4:56:02 AM

Hi!! You do have excellent taste, m''dear! Can''t wait to see your dress when you get it done--no doubt it will be absolutely stunning!
30.gif

So is your plan (if you decide to marry in NYC) to go over for your wedding and then stay there, get jobs, a place to live, etc. or would you come back to the UK after getting married and then go back after setting things up in NYC? Just asking because of the visa situation--have you looked into the paperwork and costs you''d need to take care of? It can make things complicated because it usually takes a while to get the paperwork back (about 2 months, maybe?) and I don''t think you''d be allowed to work while you wait. I think you''re allowed to apply for a work permit alongside the fiance visa, but since the fiance visa is only good for 90 days and doesn''t automatically come with work permission, not sure it would be worth it time-wise.

These are some of the reasons we''ve decided to just stay put in the UK, since I''ve got a work permit here and am a legal resident until August 2010.
3.gif

Hi again!

Thank you for your kind words...the Ian Stuart is gorgeous isn''t it!

We''ve looked into it all a bit - and indeed, paperwork would take a while, and the 90 day rule with not being allowed to work is something we''ve looked at. Himself can come and go between here and the US as he pleases, he maintains his US passport, and had indefinite ''leave to stay'' here (think the phrase is right!!) Having been born over there, and spent most his life here, and having family both sides of the pond, is useful huh!

If we decide...and a decision is gonna have to made sooooon...we are going to take some time out, sell up, put the dosh in our back pockets and take off around the US for a bit of a spree! That''s the plan/dream...whether it happens is another thing. It all depends on whether the doggie will like being in a camper-van!

And, whilst we are travelling, perhaps the dosh can earn some interest...and then we buy a simple shack when we''re ready to settle back down. Jobs...hmmmm - we''re a looooooong way off retirement, but we''ve done careers, and are ready for a new type of challenge now.

One thing stops us making the final step - bloomin'' health insurance! We can live ok - even if we only ever work part-time now (careful investments are worth their weight!) but what if we get toothache - or worse...

We really do need to think about getting the info from the American Embassy - right place to start? That''ll be himselfs'' job - he''s the one with a blue passport! It''s a K1 visa isn''t it, from what I remember reading, and there are time limits and restrictions on the use of it.

arrgggggg...so many options!

It''ll slide into place though - these things have a way of doing that, and I don''t want to get in a spin over it!

<----off to read up about K1''s!

1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results