shape
carat
color
clarity

Are we getting hosed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KYoungstarr

Rough_Rock
My future fiancee and I think we found the band for the ring that we want. It is 14k WG and we want to get an Aquamarine princess cut stone.

Here''s the question, Jared (the store we found the band at) said we should consider getting platinum prongs at their cost of $280.

First question: Is that a typical/reasonable cost? (the entire band costs $499)

Second question: Given that we are buying a stone that could likely cost LESS than 280 itself, is it worth spending the extra cash?

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If money is tight - then go white gold with rhodium plating (unless she has horrible nickle allergies) over platinum.

Price is fair. Though check what Platinum (and is it Platinum 950) alloy they use first.

For a really good platinum setting (including the band) you could pay $1500US.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t. I have never had a problem with any of my rings with white gold prongs. And an aquamarine is far less expensive to replace than a diamond in the unlikely event it is ever lost, damaged, etc.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the 11 years that I have been wearing my e-ring with white gold prongs I have never had a problem.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
In all my years of wearing rings,.......... Been married going on 30 years,.......... I''ve only broken 1 prong. 14 kt gold. And that was on a small side stone. No big loss. A cheap quick fix.

At that, it was probably my own fault. I was moving around crushed ice with my bare hands. Rings on. Prepping to set up a salad bar for a School Fund Raiser event. It was probably cold shock and contact with the jagged ice just the right way that caused that one prong to break. I didn''t really hit it hard or anything like that. You know how you work your fingers into ice to get it to settle and fill in holes. At least that''s what our jeweler suspected.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if your lady sews, quilts, or wants to wear her ring 24/7 i would agree with jared and get the platinum prongs. I, finally, am happy with my ring, becuase i now have a yellow gold shank with jared''s platinum prongs.

i have destroyed 3 whitegold prong settings from sewing, chemist, and fabric abrasion since 1994.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aquamarine is the same material as emerald, but a different color. Both are rather fragile for daily wear. Platinum is an easier metal to fit and bend to conform to a stone, so there is less chance they will break the aqua in setting it. Of course, they are responsible for breakage and they''d like to have an easier time of it with less risk. After the stone is set, it won''t matter what sort of metal, gold or platinum is holding it in.

KYoungstarr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies!

We went ahead and did not get the platinum prongs since they were such a high % of the total cost of the entire ring.

One follow-up question relates to getting the stone set in the ring. I already paid for it so what is done is done but being someone who is inexperienced with ring buying I wanted to see how standard this is. At Jared''s, because the stone was apparently too big for the prongs, I had to pay a $98 fee for them to re-do the prongs. I had a feeling this was one of those price tack-ons, a la rust-proofing a car. Is this normal? Price more or less correct? I am just curious for future ring buying.

Thanks again for all of your help.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes its normal to have to pay more if the stone wont fit the stock setting but I'm rather leery of what they mean by redoing the prongs?
Is the head replaceable?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, how big was it?

KYoungstarr

Rough_Rock
It was 6mm. And it is a princess cut, if that matters.

I don't know what you mean by is the head replaceable?

As far as re-doing the prongs, he basically said the head was made for a smaller stone. That's the main info he gave me.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results