shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with bone china, fine crystal, and sterling silver?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
For reference, I'm 25 and I have been to a lot of weddings in the last few years. I have not seen one person register for fine china, crystal or anything like that. I think those have faded out.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Not under forty... but can I play anyway?!

When I was little my grandmother had 24 settings of Waterford china "that would be mine some day." I used to think it was crazy -- 24 people wouldn't have fit in that tiny ranch house if you stacked them like logs! -- but there it sat, in the built in china cabinet, coming out only for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. When she passed it all got packed up and now sits in my brother's basement. I've been planning on getting though for a few years, and I'm going to USE it! Why not?!

Never thought much about silver. If i came across a set I liked at a yard sale I'd absolutely buy it and use it, but I just never think of it. TR sells things on ebay and he on very rare occasion will pick up a set if he can see that it has salable value, but it's very few and far between just because no one really wants it any more.

As you can tell from the Daily Happy Hour thread, vintage stemware is my weakness! My best friend from law school and his partner bought me a few pretty depression glasses over 25 years ago and that started the collection. Now I've got HUNDREDS... pink, green, blue, purple, yellow and of course clear. The oldest ones I have are well over a hundred years, and of course I'd be sad if they (or any) were broken, but I think they are beautiful and meant to be used. Some are expensive (I think the most I've paid for a single glass was $90), but a lot of them are dirt cheap -- like 25 or 50 cents, or a buck at garage sales. They often pop up a the Salvation Army too. My favorite pinks I got 7 for $10 at a sale on the side of the road at the bottom of a box of old coffee mugs. I actually squealed out loud when I found those!

I can't find a picture of my grandmother's dishes pattern; the plates are white with a fine metal rim (my grandmother used to say "platinum" but who knows what it really is) and itsy bitsy flowers. However on the Wedgwood site I DID find the salad plates and the tray below... which I fell instantly in love with and... uhhhhhh... MAY have just ordered...

1586350928427.png
1586350879252.png

That is the prettiest china I have EVER seen. I LOVE IT.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
For reference, I'm 25 and I have been to a lot of weddings in the last few years. I have not seen one person register for fine china, crystal or anything like that. I think those have faded out.

This makes me wonder if the registry process (and concept) is part of the equation. When I married, I didn’t register anywhere. Do people still register for fine decorative stuff at department stores anymore, or is it all Target and Home Depot?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, they do. Bloomingdales and Williams Sonoma. What I am seeing is that young people are registering for nicer everyday dishes and flatware that can be dressed up. I see fine accessories and pots and pans (think alclad). They also registering for fine bedding. They also include an option for “experiences”.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
This makes me wonder if the registry process (and concept) is part of the equation. When I married, I didn’t register anywhere. Do people still register for fine decorative stuff at department stores anymore, or is it all Target and Home Depot?

I'd say both. I registered at Macy's and amazon. Most people I see register either at Target, Amazon and Crate & Barrel OR the new big thing is using a website to put everything you want from all different stores in one place and it just links you to the website!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm not done collecting dishes yet! I found these dinner plates at an estate sale today. I couldn't decide between the green and red so I got both! Unbelievable that a set of 12 dinner plates was only $125. :-o

20200804_170357.jpg
Antique Minton - well, 1927 so almost antique, Some losses to the gold but still beautiful.
20200804_170339.jpg
Lenox (1906-1930), in excellent condition

I'm so excited even though I will probably only use them a few times a year.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm not done collecting dishes yet! I found these dinner plates at an estate sale today. I couldn't decide between the green and red so I got both! Unbelievable that a set of 12 dinner plates was only $125. :-o

20200804_170357.jpg
Antique Minton - well, 1927 so almost antique, Some losses to the gold but still beautiful.
20200804_170339.jpg

LOVE ! Enjoy them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

20200804_170357.jpg
20200804_170339.jpg

Great find !
Well done
Very pretty
a couple of times a year sounds just fine

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20200804_170357.jpg
20200804_170339.jpg

Both are wonderful!! Score!
MMMM--Minton! What a treasure you found!
And I never pass up Lenox when I find it.

collier

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Those colors and details. I would have gotten both as well. What a splendid holiday dinner service :)

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Those colors and details. I would have gotten both as well. What a splendid holiday dinner service :)

Wouldn't using both at Christmas be gorgeous! Lol, I don't see me having dinner for 24 but maybe I will mix up 6 and 6!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20200804_170357.jpg
20200804_170339.jpg

Wow! What an amazing find!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't using both at Christmas be gorgeous! Lol, I don't see me having dinner for 24 but maybe I will mix up 6 and 6!!!

Ummm, you could host your PS friends...;-)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I’m scouring the web for inexpensive Majolica-ish cabbage ware. I don’t need the expensive stuff, but I do need a few pieces of POP green!
9BA65D5B-74D8-4D6E-9449-848A56903D87.jpeg

I used to have a collection of lovely assorted Portuguese salad plates, mostly in that lovely pink they use. They’re so fragile, though - it seems the glaze cracks if you just look at it! I gave away the few remaining good ones last time I did a cupboard purge. (And I try to remember that every time I’m tempted to start collecting them again!).

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to have a collection of lovely assorted Portuguese salad plates, mostly in that lovely pink they use. They’re so fragile, though - it seems the glaze cracks if you just look at it! I gave away the few remaining good ones last time I did a cupboard purge. (And I try to remember that every time I’m tempted to start collecting them again!).

The wedgewood version pictured above isn’t at all fragile.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back!lol

Where did you get these plates from? I love them, esp the second blue one - it'd go very nicely with what I currently have.

Hi @Phoenix , I bought it at Macy’s almost 23 years ago. It’s old...

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I love my china sets. Im in my mid 40’s but I was drawn to china in my 20’s! There is something nostalgic about it to me and I feel such wonderful memories when I set them out. I have two sets, one from my mom and the other from my husband’s grandma. I just use them for holidays. I have added to them over the years, as when I got them they were missing a piece here and there. Replacements.com is a great resource!
23FDFB49-256D-4294-916F-2C67922E74F6.jpeg CBC81AD5-BD01-4446-A2E9-E389C7FDC233.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results