shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the under-40s done with bone china, fine crystal, and sterling silver?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay the rims of the china probably ARE done in platinum.

I have china with platinum and crystal with platinum or gold, depending on the piece.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@Snowdrop13 i didn't know that! I always assumed it was just 'bone white' or 'bone strong'... duh.

@kenny I'm in my mid 30s and have no fine china or crystal. My parents still have all 6/7 sets handed down through the family so eventually, we'll have those. But buying myself a new set doesn't make financial sense. I'd rather upgrade our coffee machine or invest in more cast iron crockery. Funnily enough my mom has taken to just using all the sterling silver flatware and serving trays/bowls on a daily basis. Her reasoning is that they serve no purpose behind glass. And she's getting too old not to do whatever she damn well pleases. She chucks everything in the dishwasher now. Shock! Horror!

My husband's grandmother used the sterling silver every day and put everything in the dishwasher too! Her sterling silver utensils were covered with scratches!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Gen X here. I have 5 sets of fine China, 3 sets of sterling, and enough crystal for the neighborhood! I love and use every bit of it. 3 of the 5 sets of China are antique and not dishwasher safe. I find that I do use the sets that are dishwasher safe more often. Table display is a great joy for me.

It would be fun to see your collection! I enjoy serveware/table display as well, but do not do it very often. I have a collection of silver trays/pieces that I display on the bookcases in my living room. Every few months I have a big silver polish day. I just love silver. Most of my pieces came from my husband's grandmother, so they are very special to me.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be fun to see your collection! I enjoy serveware/table display as well, but do not do it very often. I have a collection of silver trays/pieces that I display on the bookcases in my living room. Every few months I have a big silver polish day. I just love silver. Most of my pieces came from my husband's grandmother, so they are very special to me.

When I am back in Houston I will snap a few pics! Some of my pieces are sentimental too. I love using my grandmother's things.

I am a complete weirdo about polishing silver. It is very satisfying to me. In just a few wipes it goes from blah to magnificent! I enjoy it so much that I told my housekeeper NOT to polish my silver, lol!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
When I am back in Houston I will snap a few pics! Some of my pieces are sentimental too. I love using my grandmother's things.

I am a complete weirdo about polishing silver. It is very satisfying to me. In just a few wipes it goes from blah to magnificent! I enjoy it so much that I told my housekeeper NOT to polish my silver, lol!

It is definitely a satisfying task! When I was shopping in Savannah with my best friend a few years ago I found what they called a "Moroccan tea tray" in a jewelry store covered with tarnish. It was a great price, and I thought it had potential so I bought it. Once I had polished it up and showed it to my friend she could not believe how gorgeous and transformed it was.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only are THEY done with it, so am I. I do have a box of my mom's Wedgwood in the basement, because I don't know what to do with it. Selling it or donating it seems wrong, because it was her most prized possession and she loved it so much. I prefer almost no material attachments.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
We’re under 40. We have a handful of nicer serving things that were wedding presents and they rarely if ever get used. Mostly just slightly nicer China and crystal stemware. We don’t want to toss it but we certainly don’t want any more of it because what we have already takes up enough cabinet space. We move often and try to be minimalist in our household.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
tyty333, that is Franciscan Appleware. My mother had that as her good china...she never got formal china. I now have it and use it as my everyday dishes. I love it, mostly because it was my mom’s.

I love pretty china, silver and crystal. We have birth luncheons with my sisters and nieces and when I host, I use it and enjoy it. My daughters are in their 30’s and they both got china when they got married but I don’t think they use it much.

I used to sell china, silver and crystal at a department store. I loved looking at the pretty patterns. I still regret that I didn’t get Waterford crystal...I thought it was too expensive.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same @missy. I told my mother I wanted none of that, wasn't interested. I got a lovely service set from italy, I never used it, gave it to my sister, she's into all of that.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
My Dad tried to get one of us kids/grandkids to take his mother's dishes when she passed away. Nobody wants them :(2.
I dont find them attractive and would never use them. They dont hold any sentimental value to me either.
I think they are everyday dishes. Its this brand/style...
Capture.PNG

When my MIL downsized her belongings, my 14 year old DD took the china and sterling silver. The silverware is really nice. I'm not fond of the
china but my DD likes it!

Here is the sterling silver and china
Capture.PNG Capture.PNG

That's Franciscan Apple! People actually collect it.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rhea I too am only in a relationship thanks to the dishwasher. I would have ended up in jail for homocide had we not moved to a place with one early on.

@kenny I love buying used everything, EXCEPT cast iron cookware. I love having to go through the painful process of seasoning them myself. And having burnt omlette after burnt pancake until one day, voila, it's only burnt because I was distracted by some netflix series and not because of the pan.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely NOT under 40 but I love my crystal and good china, and I do use them but hand wash them.

I have Royal Doulton Juno, which isn’t produced anymore, they keep a pattern for 20 years, then discard it, so when I broke a liqueur glass after a move, the only place I could find one was in the US, had to pay $75 for it and my friend brought it over when they visited.
D1C843A1-6007-4D87-82CD-062B4F45F35E.jpeg F2367D38-B1ED-4368-A66F-942C40EF1A51.jpeg 8FEBFA5B-7624-4DD4-A9D6-A1827D745207.jpeg 7D180F86-6494-44F7-9F2B-C95D08B0E2DA.jpeg

I got my China when we got married (1978), again no longer produced, so have been scouring EBay for extras in case I break any. Thomas wide platinum band, I deliberately didn’t pick a patterned service, and I still think it looks modern today. They also did it in a narrow platinum band and with a gold wide and narrow band. I’ve got at least 12 of everything plus serving dishes, tea and coffee set, gravy boat, salt and pepper pot, and butter dish.

I’ve managed to find some replacements, plus soup coupes which I didn’t see when we originally bought the set.

3BEA2885-D007-4833-BB61-162F0EF39F8B.jpeg 377C0CDD-F820-4A85-BFD0-009BC1ABE03E.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my mother's china (what's left of it, my mom - she was an Irish tempered woman and if she had more than a few she would start throwing EVERYTHING). Her's is hand wash only so it's right now in the garage somewhere till I get my own house again (someday in the far far future on another planet I think) .. I have my own china that my husband chose as his 25th anniversary with IBM years ago, it's a small set and I use it on a holiday occasionally. I have my grandmother's crystal (she died in 1965), it's definitely lovely and is art deco (she married in 1926) it has gold rims (not sure how many glasses I actually have because I never used them) the gold has worn off on many of the glasses, my sister said I should have them re-dipped? I saw whaaat? :) maybe she wanted them but my aunt gave them to me. I have what is left of my mother's sterling silver (she married in 1949), and I think some of my grandmother's. I have a few other interesting pieces from my Dad's side from Bavaria and England from his grandmother's. So I have all this stuff and I plan to divvy it up between son's before I die if I have time.

You asked specifically about under 40s interest in this stuff, my son wouldn't know China if it popped out and bit him and my other son would size it up and put it on ebay :) but my DIL (31) said she would be very interested in the IBM china so I will give that to her. I do believe millenials use IKEA for their dishes and don't look back and wish they had china, but that is my opinion.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have my mom's fine china...I am looking to unload it...never use it and I have no sentimental attachment to it..the only fine crystal I have is my waterford wine glasses I use those all the time...I have no silver

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
If it can't go into the dishwasher... And even then it might find its way in (!).
I have some Wedgewood but I don't want to use it because it can't go into the dishwasher and so it sits collecting dust.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one set for everything. Royal doulton, platinum band. Every day, every occasion , everyone (family, guests, kids...). I really like the pattern and what would I eat from china I like less every day? It's only for 12 though so when we're 26 at Christmas I have you use my inherited hand painted plates . They aren't dish washer safe, so that's a big pita...
My sterling silver flatware isn't dishwasher safe either, so I don't use it anymore. With so many small children I did give up on crystal. I have nice glasses for different kinds of wine for twelve /18 , but nothing fancy.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I try not to have 'good' stuff anymore so now that the kids have broken their way through the cheap IKEA glasses, they are now on to the crystal glasses I bought when I was much younger (I decided it was silly to spend money on any glasses when the crystal ones were in the cupboard unused).

I also have 6 crystal glasses and juice jug from my gran. They are beautiful but the crystal is paper thin and the rims are chipped - so we can't drink from them but I can't bring myself to bin them. I have heard that a jeweller could 'grind' the rims, might need to investigate that a bit further.

Our longest lasting crockery is the stuff from IKEA but I do like porcelain so as plates and dishes get bashed and broken I'm slowly replacing them with plain white porcelain.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We use our fine china on special occasions and our crystal (or maybe it's just fancy glassware, not sure of the difference) every day.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t register for china when I got married, but a few years ago I fell in love with porcelain made by DBO Home. I treated myself to a service for six after a major promotion, and I use these when I’m in the mood to make dinner parties fancier.

This is a stock photo, but basically I have dinner and bread plates in this pattern, as well as serving platters. I chose a contrasting matte black salad plate to add some visual interest.

1586381271745.jpeg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg is crystal lead??? I did not know this!!!!!

Does it have all the health issues too?
Only if you store liquid in it, as in a decanter. For serving, it's safe since there's no prolonged contact. My beautiful Waterford decanter is now for decoration only. We don't use it to decant and store alcoho any more.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I love my mother's old "cobalt" serving dishes & sterling silver flatware/knickknacks etc, though she rarely uses them.
I have a set of fine bone china for the holidays, a cheaper set for family dinners & pretty but inexpensive crystal glasses we sometimes use.
I looove a beautifully set table but with so many ppl in our household it isn't practical very often.
I also love fancy heavy starched tablecloths & napkins but dh hates them. So we use mats or cheaper washable table cloths.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I used to pine over Royal Crown Derby (old Imari) but I am glad I didn't buy it. I'd like a serving piece tho.

I don't use my Royal Doulton set, but I use my Christmas Tiffany all of Dec. I love my Orrefors crystal but never use it. Broken a few of those fluted champagne glasses, just too tall and heavy.

cheers--Sharon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Patty and @elizat I told my Mom that my Dad could probably sell it on ebay and she said he wants someone in the family to take it. Dont
know what to tell him. It looks to be a particular taste.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
HI:

I used to pine over Royal Crown Derby (old Imari) but I am glad I didn't buy it. I'd like a serving piece tho.

I don't use my Royal Doulton set, but I use my Christmas Tiffany all of Dec. I love my Orrefors crystal but never use it. Broken a few of those fluted champagne glasses, just too tall and heavy.

cheers--Sharon

Ah- the Christmas Tiffany! One of my dear friends has that. It’s beautiful!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fine stemwear is sooooo much nicer to drink out of.
And having a hot drink from a fine china tea cup - eatting off fine plates
its just nicer and especially good cutlery or anything that goes in your mouth it just feels nicer in your mouth
When we finish unpacking we are going to use mum's silver cutlery everday (not in the dishwasher)
Has anyone ever looked into the history and health benefits of eatting off silver ? The saying born with a silver soon in his mouth was because a silver soon was often a christening present and helped keep the baby healthy in pre antibiotics times
I have collodial silver for the cat's water
Much is often made of the Queen's dogs eatting out of silver bowls (im pretty sure its the old dented stuff - waste not want not) but maybe this is why also

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know what i won't have in my house
Boring white serving plates of any description but most of all the kind sold in mall gift and kitchen shops
I just hate them
at least grandma's china was pretty and not borring

Also have you noticed the sizes of every thing in those old tea sets
i have a dessert set of grandma's - the individual pudding bowls are so much smaller than what we would buy today
and today's plates and cups are huge
20200409_121755.jpg

portion control is much eaiser on a smaller plate
ive been looking for nice lunch plates for years with no success
Mum had lunch plates

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! My parents have hand-painted Wedgewood china in the pattern shown below, Stewart Crystal and real Silver cutlery set - it was used for special occasions only but I've always loved it and wanted my own. :love:

WW Florentine.jpg

I own a stunning Royal Doulton bone china set purchased when we got married and we used it sparingly for years until I think one day about 5 years ago I just decided to hell with it - let's use and enjoy it every day. I checked with the company and they told me despite the gold rim, it was dishwasher safe huzzah! (I also don't have kids so no risk there)

I've also collected a set of hefty lead crystal champagne glasses & little desert wine glasses from an Op shops and just recently a few crystal tumblers too. I'd love a set of silver cutlery too so I do keep an eye out at Antique stores but so far haven't found a set I really love (or can afford :shifty: ).

To be fair - I am the ONLY ONE amongst my friends who uses "finery" frequently. Most are knee-deep in nappies & toddlers and clearly it's just not practical....

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I am in my early thirties. I ordered a set of custom engraved champagne flutes from waterford crystal for my wedding day. I definitely splurged on that- fiance thought I was crazy but I insisted on having some nice crystal (because no one this day in age gifts crystal to newly weds anymore!). We used them in our first home cooked meal in our new apartment together, it was such a nice touch.

I have exactly one cup of bone china that I purchased from an estate sale. It is a lovely cup with a photo of a cottage and garden.

As for silverware, I've been holding back buying a set of vintage silverware. I see so many of them at estate sales, a lot are still very complete sets. It's my list of must-haves after we move into our first home.

I've been told I'm more of an old soul though. My husband says I have a lot of interests that a typical grandma would, so there's that.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm GenX and like @Gussie I love all of it. I didn't register when I got married because I already had 4 sets of china. My favorite set was my grandmother's totally irreplaceable, the factory was bombed in the 2nd WW, but I use it as much as I can. There is actually more than 1 set because her mother in law bought all the DILs the same china so they could have enough for holidays and Shabbot. In fact I used a mix tonight.

20200408_144012.jpg
When it comes to tea sets I really have a problem. I think I have 4 sets and various cups. I lugged 1 back from Russia when I visited Lomonsov, it is well traveled. Lest you think it is just me, my DH lived in China so we have purple clay, yixing I think, which we use daily-each tea has it's own pot.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wedding china - now ten years old and literally never used. Most of the pieces are still in plastic sleeves with stickers on. It’s Waterford Lisette - I couldn’t remember the pattern, had to go find it.

Tea services - I do like to pull these out occasionally. We've got a Royal Albert teapot, sugar and creamer bowls, cups and saucers for seventeen (not entirely sure how we wound up with that number, one teapot does not suffice!), and a cookie jar shaped like a teapot... I thought it was a really big teapot, the other half was convinced that plastic-pitchers-are-better-because-glass-spouts-never-pour-right, I was thoroughly smug about having resolved the debate in such vivid fashion... Didn’t think to check that spout was actually open. He got the last laugh. I have just a few Franz Porcelain teapot/cup/saucer/stirrer odds and ends and they’re delightful - I could blow a fortune on his designs.

The stemware - Vera Wang crystal, Vera Leaf pattern. We've used these, but they’re clearly more for show than function: The glasses for white are too narrow, the glasses for red are too small. The water goblets are fine, so there's that, LOL.

The sterling - Baltimore Rose. Adore it and use it regularly. It never fails to make me smile.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results