shape
carat
color
clarity

Are stock photos acceptable? - consumers only please.

Are stock photos of diamonds acceptable?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • yes, as long as the real photos are available on request.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is the scenario.
HnA diamond company registers here tomorrow and wants to pick up sales here.
Is the use of stock photo's by them acceptable?
Consider your answer within the above situation.

per val's question the above includes stock h&a photos.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 8
6.gif
6.gif
6 AM
Author: Feydakin
ummmm you arent exackly a consumer.
The reasons will become clear later.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are these photos good for? Webpage decoration ? They do not mean anything...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 8:13:15 AM
Author: valeria101
What are these photos good for? Webpage decoration ? They do not mean anything...
What about h&a photos?
They mean something to me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 8:27:58 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 11/17/2004 8:13:15 AM
What about h&a photos and i-scope photos?
They mean something to me.
But stock photos are NEVER about the diamond at hand. Once there is a sign somewhere on the page saying "these are H&A diamonds which should lok like this example" the message looks much clearer to me, and saves bandwidth too. There must have been dozens of posts confusing stock photos with the real thing. If some picture does not add information, I would rather not see it and thank for saving my effort of reading inbetween the graphic paraphernalia...
7.gif

There are two websites with what I''d call useful stock photos though:

Gemappraisers.com - the wireframe models in the Fancy Shape Selector do not represent particular diamonds either, but do have a meaning (to attract attention on the proportions of a stone). Great. It would be nice to see some of those comming next to listed diamonds.

BN does something like this. Their stock photos try to indicate the relative size and proportions of the fancies. I think the system is much simpler than the GA''s Selector: BN keeps some stock photos representative of different L/W proportions and sizes and associate the closest match with each listing. I thought the idea was brilliant : there is definitely need for a bit of help to visualize what the info on the cert may mean.

How about stock photos of H&A (be it the looks of the stone, Iscope, what not) ?
Well, great, but with ALL diamonds are fitted with the SAME stock photo, what does it tell me about individual stones ? Not much. This is a general example, or standard that does not help tell individual diamonds apart.
I do recognize that generic stock photos represent better those stones with already narrowly standardized cuts (the H&A) than fancies. But then, one practice fits all, and having a stock photo of a pear is downright missleading.

For example... many of the "Ideal" or "Expert selection" diamonds at WF would most other shops; H&A ideals. But the stock photo used to represent all but the branded A Cut Above is rather scary.

Seeing those little silly drawing as "representative photos" of diamonds elsewhere is downright annoying. What hapened with "Immage not available, please inquire for detail" ? At least this less graphic message suggests that something remains to be desired and more information is needed to judge a stone. To me, stock photos suggest a missleading message: "this is good enough, once you see a drawing you saw all you need to know about this diamond. Inquire if you have no better use of your time!".

Well, juts IMO, as usual.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 8:46:59 AM
Last time i looked I was also a consumer.. Just because I happen to work in the jewelry field does not automatically make my opinion worthless..
*sigh*
I didnt say your opinion was worthless as a matter of fact your opinions are often well thought out and informative.
What I said was that you work in the diamond industry nothing more and nothing less and I was seeking the opinions of those that dont work in the industry at this time.

Im sorry if I wasnt clear on it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said val thank you.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
They are no different than no photos at all. In particular, the computer generated/enhanced ones that Blue Nile uses are even more useless.

It's even worse in SI stones to show a perfectly clean diamond as a stock image.

This is a sore spot for me. Why even bother to show a picture when it's not what it is? Would you buy a used car from me with the photo from a brochure? Given the variation in individual diamonds, what value is there in a stock image?

However, that being said, I would buy a diamond if images were avaialble. I would also take a chance a particularly well priced stone, drop shipped, depending on what I wanted it for, if the return policy was iron clad.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yes, but only if they are clearly labeled as such.

Of course, I find them meaningless and would rather buy from someone with real photos, but a jeweler has the right to put up stock photos as well.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RE: It''s even worse in SI stones to show a perfectly clean diamond as a stock image.
----------------------

I am not a consumer so I did not vote in the poll. The comment above says it all for me. This time of year Zales, and others, advertize their 5ct tennis bracelets for $499 and show a picture of a nice 5ct bracelet. Clearly a "stock" photo as the trash they sell at $499 is so excremental that many jewelers buy one at retail (In the few cases when they can as they are almost non-existant when you try to actually buy one) just to have one to show. They will sell it at $499 for any one who wants one, but always have it left at the end of the season, having sold their 3, 4, 5, and $6000 bracelets instead because they were actually beautiful and of value.

One of my friends in the business actually puts this sign in the display with the bracelet. "This ''lovely'' $499 tennis bracelet was bought at Zales. If you want one you are welcome to go to Zales and buy one. The other bracelets in this display are what we sell." He said it trippled his tennis bracelet business for each of the last three years.

The ads you see for this bracelet are clearly misleading, illegally so, but the FTC does not care enough to make Zales and others stop.

I guess you can tell by my feelings about this why so many of my diamonds show up on my site with "No Image Available". I will not use a stock photo to represent an individual item.

Wink

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Stock photos are worse than meaningless. They can be misleading. No one ever puts up photos of poor H&A or included stones, but depending on the stone, that might be the case. They show photos of perfect, beautiful stones, presetting an expectation that may not be realistic.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 1:581 PM
Author: lop
Stock photos are worse than meaningless. They can be misleading.
They ARE missleading. Otherwise why would anyone bother ''adorn'' the page with them !!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutely not, not under any circumstance. Show the real photo.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I will always, always, always, look at the businesses who provide real pictures and information on each diamond I view. I may consider the others, if pictures are available, but they will be looked at as secondary vendors in any search I do.

Great question!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id rather have no photo than a fake.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
interesting at this time:
yes 0% 0

no 59% 19

yes, as long as the real photos are available on request. 41% 13

Total Votes: 32
Its been running at around the 59-63% range most of the day when Iv had time to check.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 3:54:32 PM
My question then is, would you view an e-Vendor lower if he provides no pictures at all rather than a few clearly marked stock photos to help show size and shape comparisons?? I would think that the following here would realize that vendors showing no photos at all would be seen as drop shippers vs the handful that actually own diamonds..

Does that even matter to you??
No pictures or they use stock images at all I assume they are drop shippers and pass them over.
If I know otherwise I give them a hard time about it and wonder if they have something to hide or arent willing to put in the time to get my sale/recomendation.
If the images are available on request and there arent other options available in that class I might recommend them if they have a great reputation but make it clear that the buyer has to go thru a hassle to get the information.
Myself I wouldnt bother, either give me the info up front or it doesnt exists.
There is no acceptable excuse for a stocking dealer to use stock images in my opinion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 5:15:12 PM
No pictures or they use stock images at all I assume they are drop shippers and pass them over.
Large instore stock means large premium... and less service, I would assume, from the same jeweler about settings and the like.

Anyway, I liked this line on NiceIce.com:

"Essentially, we stock just enough to let you know that we sell them
1.gif
"
(cited from HERE)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My question then is, would you view an e-Vendor lower if he provides no pictures at all rather than a few clearly marked stock photos to help show size and shape comparisons?? I would think that the following here would realize that vendors showing no photos at all would be seen as drop shippers vs the handful that actually own diamonds..

I have every stone on my site in my office if it is not out being looked at. I don''t have the time to photograph all of them, so I just don''t post a picture if I don''t have it available. I will take it on request, but I am NOT a drop shipper, so obviously, appearances can be decieving...

Wink who has to go take a picture now for a gentleman in Australia.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 7:37:43 PM
Author: Wink

I have every stone on my site in my office if it is not out being looked at. I don''t have the time to photograph all of them, so I just don''t post a picture if I don''t have it available. I will take it on request, but I am NOT a drop shipper, so obviously, appearances can be decieving...

Wink who has to go take a picture now for a gentleman in Australia.

There is an example of an acceptable reason not to have pictures at all for some diamonds.
If I were to recomend that someone look at one he didnt have pictures up of Id have to point out that the person would have to go thru the hassle of asking him for them and wait.
If I didnt know wink and went to his site id assume and wrongly in this case that he had some in stock and some virtual like a lot of vendors do.
And wink hire someone to help out so you can post pics of em all (there I gave him a hard time about it too :} )

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Drop shipping is an honest service that has it's price - as long as wholesalers do not let me buy directly from them, that is.

Anything added to just exchanginf FedEx envelops: say, inspection, appraisal, setting - whatever else the "drop shipper" provides, have their value and their price. These are worth paying for, IMO, as long as I do not take my Grandfather's jewelers tools up to make my own jewelry.

It is nice to see enough information on any essentially drop-shipping site to make sure you can have a good dialog with the respective jeweler and what not. Same for FedEx. And at least final purchases would be made contingent on some degree of inspection on one diamond or another.

Sure, if one customer wants TWENTY diamonds passed from wholesaler to drop-shipper for inspection and back until settling, that may start being more expensive than buying Tiffany's
9.gif
But then, to each his own.

Does it even matter ? Sure. The scheme sounds nice, actually. Only I cannot begin to imagine the level of negotiation art the respective service provider should posess. It's just his word standing in for all those glistening jewelers lights (you know, whatever PS calls that) and shiny advertisement.

This drop shipping practice seems to expose allot the vallue added from intermediation services. And this is not a bad thing, IMO.

Surely it is nicer to have some expert selection (= jewelers' stock) to choose from. And I can imagine that for risk-averse shopers and the seekers of the ultimate (ideals, perfection, safety, trust and similar non-commercial values) using drop shipping would turn out more expensive and definitely X-fold more time consuming.

Is this way naive ?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I voted yes. i think there should be actual photos up. I guess you could request the pics but I know I gravitate towards the online vendors who have images available on the website as part of the stones write-up, along with the lab report. It's just more convenient. I feel bad asking about a stone I'm only 10% sure I'll buy--the photos eliminate 90% of questions, especially about clarity.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2004 8:57:17 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
...the photos eliminate 90% of questions, especially about clarity.
The actual, not stock photos... you mean
33.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/17/2004 8:48
6.gif
4 PM
And wink hire someone to help out so you can post pics of em all (there I gave him a hard time about it too :} )
I did, and she answers about 100 emails a day for me and has no time to take pictures. If I hire any more people I will have to raise prices, and then you WILL really let me have it! He he he!

I just took pictures of a .65ct E-VS1, now I shall go post them with the stone in my store... And also send them to the gentleman who asked for them, then it is home to dinner and bed!

Wink

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 8
6.gif
6.gif
6 AM
Yes, as long as they are identified as stock photos.. I''m assuming that you have a reson for asking this question.. Thinking about getting into the drop ship diamond sales market??
Fed, I like you......but please give it a rest. The acrimony between traditional storefronts and online venues is just overflowing the cup right now, yanno?

There really isn''t a need to start taking swipes at folks.....to me, that''s how your comment comes off.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2004 9
6.gif
5:50 PM

Date: 11/17/2004 8:57:17 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
...the photos eliminate 90% of questions, especially about clarity.
The actual, not stock photos... you mean
33.gif
Yes!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results