shape
carat
color
clarity

Are some people just immune to cold temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the Chicago area for work. When I flew in yesterday, it was cold. Really cold. Especially for most of us as our plane came from Atlanta. It was cold there yesterday, but nothing like this. It was a CRJ900 so none of our carry on luggage fit and we had to wait for them to bring it back up to us. So here we all are, standing in the jetway, trying to stay warm and off comes this guy wearing sandals, shorts and a T-shirt. He looked at all of us in our coats, shivering while we waited, and muttered "It''s not cold!". He looked completely disgusted with us. It was 10 degrees!!!!! I saw him later in the airport and he had put on some gym pants and a light weight jacket.

I get that when you live in a colder environment, you get used to the cold. But really, do you get THAT used to it???

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I am a huge baby. I never got used to the cold. I''d complain the whole time.

But I now live in a much warmer climate. There is a theory that your blood thins out a little bit, allowing you to deal w/ the much warmer temperatures and keep you cool. Because of the thinned blood you are colder much easier, and as such cold feels colder.

But I am not a scientist. I just think if it is -18* with a winchill one day and -20* with windchill the next... it isn''t as much a shock to the system as going from 37* or 42* and then to -18*. I just think it is shock by comparision. That said... I''ve been to CHI and that lake freeze effect is no joke. That place is like the antarctic in the midwest... BRRRR.
32.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My FIL is like that - he''ll go get the mail in his flip flops with snow on the ground. Me? Not so much, and I''ve lived in MI for 16 years. Cold and I are NOT friends.
11.gif

I had a few friends in college that would wear shorts year round as well. Very odd.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I go through this almost every day when it''s cold. Right now in Boston it''s 9 degrees. When we left home this morning, he puts on his peacoat, scarve, gloves and hat, plus the Irish knit sweater undeneath. I have on a basic long sleeve top, put on my biker jacket and I''m ready to go. He always looks at me weird and says ''and you aren''t going to be cold?". I hate to wear glove and if it''s super cold, I''ll just put my hands in my pockets. Mind you, he''s the one that drives all the way to work! He drops me off and I have to go the rest of the way on the T, which means standing outside for the bus.

If you grow up with it, you do just get used to it. Some, like my husband, are cold once it''s under 40, while I will go outside in a short sleeve shirt. An old funny New England saying is ''you know it''s cold when folks in Maine stop wearing shorts''. Kind of depends on the body as well.

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
i agree. I can wear flip flops all year long in washington, until it actually snows. then i get cold :razz:
but i wont go outside on our deck, once i am inside.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, when I first moved to Chicago (from only 5 hours south, but the climate change was very apparent), I FROZE all the time. After a couple of winters, it seemed like my body adapted and maybe my mental state did, too. There were times I would take the trash out through the backyard with 6 inches of snow on the ground wearing a tee shirt, jeans, and flip flops. Or I''d be shoveling snow after work and only be wearing a sweatshirt, gloves and a hat even though it was 20 degrees or less. Don''t get me wrong, it''s not that I like to go outside and play in the snow now, but I have an easier time dealing with it than I used to.
10.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
One of the most annoying things to me is when people claim it isn''t cold when it is LOL especially in Miami. We''re used to 80 degrees in February and its now 40. And of course we have people in the elevator being so exaggerated and saying "this isn''t cold, this is nice weather, I love this weather" Well good for you, but no one asked

That said, you do adapt to your environment. I was born in NY but have lived in FL for the bast 14 years. Any temperature below 70 forces me to at least wear a sweater. But the funny thing is that when I visit NY and its in the 30s, I don''t feel cold. I think its cause I''m more prepared with a scarf, mittins, a hat, and a heavy jacket.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I am certainly not used to the cold. I''m freezing in Florida!

jcarlylew82

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 9:18:12 AM
Author: fieryred33143
One of the most annoying things to me is when people claim it isn''t cold when it is LOL especially in Miami. We''re used to 80 degrees in February and its now 40. And of course we have people in the elevator being so exaggerated and saying ''this isn''t cold, this is nice weather, I love this weather'' Well good for you, but no one asked

That said, you do adapt to your environment. I was born in NY but have lived in FL for the bast 14 years. Any temperature below 70 forces me to at least wear a sweater. But the funny thing is that when I visit NY and its in the 30s, I don''t feel cold. I think its cause I''m more prepared with a scarf, mittins, a hat, and a heavy jacket.

my family is from the south, and currently live in florida. It totally cracked us up when they would come up here in the summer and be freezing, and we''d go down in the winter and be hot ;-)

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to be warm, so I do the layered thing. The cold doesn''t bother my husband. He''ll go out in 20 degree weather with a sweatshirt jacket unzipped.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
It gets my goat when people claim it''s "not cold" in 10 degrees. Personally, most of the time, I think it''s just and attention getter and if they get frostbite, it serves them right. Temps like that can be downright dangerous.. duh!

BTW - I''m near Chicago also so know cold. And have a pretty good tolerance to it...

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I think temperature is something that you get used to and once you are acclimatized you may really not feel cold in what are freezing temperatures. I am from Midwestern Canada and of course when it is -50C with a windchill it is unbearably cold, but as soon as the wind drops and the temp comes up to about -25C I have shoveled without a jacket and actually feel that the weather is warm. And when those few months out of the year roll around for summer time..... air conditioning is constant. I recently went to SoCal and my family who lives there would suit up in warmer clothes for the nighttime by the ocean when for us it would feel like a nice break from the heat. So I am sure everybody gets used to their climates but I will agree it is tres annoying when somebody waltzes up beside you in shorts and sandals and pretends like they are living in a tropical paradise in the middle of winter! Sheesh!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Some people just run hot. My husband is ALWAYS burning up, and he runs around in a t-shirt and shorts when I am bundled up on the bed in a hoodie, flannel pants, and a blanket.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 11:36:12 AM
Author: DebShine
It gets my goat when people claim it''s ''not cold'' in 10 degrees. Personally, most of the time, I think it''s just and attention getter and if they get frostbite, it serves them right. Temps like that can be downright dangerous.. duh!

BTW - I''m near Chicago also so know cold. And have a pretty good tolerance to it...

I''ve lived in Texas all my life (so far). Most people here get cold if it gets around 70 degrees but I don''t. I go out in below freezing temps(when we do happen to get them) in just a hoodie and flipflops or maybe real shoes if I feel like it. I know its cold to others but to me it honestly does just feel good... refreshing sort of. Sometimes I do bundle up, especially if its windy, but the rest of the time I''d rather just let myself feel the cool air. I know some people pretend or whatever that its not cold just for attention but then there are people like me who really do think it feels good.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:07:36 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Some people just run hot. My husband is ALWAYS burning up, and he runs around in a t-shirt and shorts when I am bundled up on the bed in a hoodie, flannel pants, and a blanket.

We''re the exact same way!! I have an extra blanket on my side of the bed because I''m so stinking cold at night and he sleeps in his underwear and burns up!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
Aw! 10 IS cold! That guy in the shorts was insane, seriously! I live in the city and this morning my bus broke down like 6 blocks from work and I had to walk in the 7 degree temp - and yes, it was chilly! BUT I will say, I am pretty used to it at this point, when 30 degrees seems ''warm'' out, your body just adjusts to the cold (in my opinion, I am sure others are different).

Welcome to Chicago!! It''s supposed to warm up this weekend!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 7:40:43 AM
Author:April20
I''m in the Chicago area for work. When I flew in yesterday, it was cold. Really cold. Especially for most of us as our plane came from Atlanta. It was cold there yesterday, but nothing like this. It was a CRJ900 so none of our carry on luggage fit and we had to wait for them to bring it back up to us. So here we all are, standing in the jetway, trying to stay warm and off comes this guy wearing sandals, shorts and a T-shirt. He looked at all of us in our coats, shivering while we waited, and muttered ''It''s not cold!''. He looked completely disgusted with us. It was 10 degrees!!!!! I saw him later in the airport and he had put on some gym pants and a light weight jacket.

I get that when you live in a colder environment, you get used to the cold. But really, do you get THAT used to it???
Sadly, I''ve lived in the midwest my entire life and it gets cold here - it''s single digits today - and I''ve never gotten used to it. I''m cold all the time. In the winter because of the outside temperature and in the summer because everyone seems to think they have to blast the A/C in stores, restaurants, etc. I quit wearing shorts and tank tops years ago because of this and usually wear a long-sleeved shirt or sweater everyday - even in the summer. I think I was born to live somewhere much warmer
2.gif
The ONLY time in my life that I''ve felt "warmer" was when I was pregnant. Then I was hot. All. The. Time.

Monkeypie - My DH is the same way! When he gets home from work he puts on shorts and a t-shirt, as I''m bundled up on the couch in my sweater, socks and blanket(s).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
10 used to be warm until I messed up my elbow and arthritis set in it.
Now I wear a winter coat and shorts to keep my arm warm instead of just a t-shirt and shorts to get the mail and taking out the garbage and sweep minor snow or go out to smoke a cig.
Even when it is below well below 0.

Now my elbow thinks 75 is cold lol

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Ummm no. That guy was nuts.
I''m from the Chicago area and you don''t see people walkin around with shorts and tshirt in the middle of winter just cause they''ve lived here all their lives and are used to it.. It gets COLD here!!
Maybe he was doing some kind of "mind over matter" experiment with himself. haha who knows...
10.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
No, you don''t get used to 10 degrees! I lived in Illinois for 20 years; and the teens are chilly temps!

But, when you live in those climates, you do start pulling off the coats when it warms above freezing. I mean, you might have one with you, just in case, but you don''t necessarily wear it. But it''s because you''re layered up with clothing to start with, not sporting summer tees and flipflops.

The people I can''t figure out live here in the southern half of the U.S. Hoodies pass for coats, and flipflops are year ''round. Brrrrrrrrr!

Summer can''t come too soon for me. Bring it on!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I grew up in the midwest where we had HUGE temperature swings and high humidity. Sure, the cold (<40 degrees F) was not my favorite, but I never found it all that uncomfortable. 95 degrees and humid wasn''t so awful either, even though again it was not my favorite.

I moved to Arizona and then Southern California after high school, and after a year or so I canNOT handle the extremes anymore! I can do dry heat okay, but not humid heat. And temperatures below 25F or so? Forget it! I need layers upon layers and even then, my exposed skin feels like it''s gonna freeze off.

So yeah - you adjust to whatever temperatures used to being exposed to.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Musey wrote:
can do dry heat okay, but not humid heat.

I lived in Southern Idaho during August, September and the dry heat killed me... it was so uncomfortabley WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me sweatin'' humidity anytime! Well, except southern humidity - OMG - it was killer too.....

OK - I was just meant to be heartland, flatlander girl! :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind cold nearly as much as most people I know, but I''m very sensitive to heat. FI is the same way. We''re miserable if it''s above 80 degrees, but both wear tshirts and a light jacket the entire winter.

My best friend has lived in cold climates her whole life and she never got used to it. She''s been in LA for a year now and absolutely adores the warm weather.

So yeah, I think some people are just predisposed to like cold or hot weather better. I also think you somewhat adapt by living in a certain climate, but you''ll always prefer what you''re hard wired to like.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m in the Chicago area for work. When I flew in yesterday, it was cold. Really cold. Especially for most of us as our plane came from Atlanta. It was cold there yesterday, but nothing like this. It was a CRJ900 so none of our carry on luggage fit and we had to wait for them to bring it back up to us. So here we all are, standing in the jetway, trying to stay warm and off comes this guy wearing sandals, shorts and a T-shirt. He looked at all of us in our coats, shivering while we waited, and muttered ''It''s not cold!''. He looked completely disgusted with us. It was 10 degrees!!!!! I saw him later in the airport and he had put on some gym pants and a light weight jacket.

I have lived in the Cleveland, Ohio area my entire life...I can stand the cold like that when I am dressed appropriately, but I would not be wearing summer clothes when it is 10 degrees outside!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my evil theory is that women get colder than men. A man''s body heat is an incentive to be near him (even if he stinks.)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 3:50:29 PM
Author: DebShine
Musey wrote:
can do dry heat okay, but not humid heat.

I lived in Southern Idaho during August, September and the dry heat killed me... it was so uncomfortabley WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me sweatin'' humidity anytime! Well, except southern humidity - OMG - it was killer too.....

OK - I was just meant to be heartland, flatlander girl! :)
I think it''s something you get used to, just like the cold. When I first moved to the southwest it was WEIRD - until I noticed hoe I didn''t really sweat in the dry heat, it was just like a sauna
3.gif
instead of a steam room. Now that I''m used to heat being dry, I feel sticky gross whenever I''m back in the humid heat of the midwest.

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
Yeah - humidity can be gross... lol... but dry heat makes me break out. I usually go to the steam room! I cough in the sauna! :)

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I grew up in the mountains of Colorado. It was regularly -20 when I would leave the house for school. I never, ever got used to it. In fact, I still freeze in the Denver area, which is much, much warmer. I like it here, but I am a marshmallow for most of the winter ''cause I bundle so much!

K9

Brilliant_Rock
This thread cracked me up! I complain EVERY winter about how every single day someone asks me where my coat is! I just don''t get cold and only wear a coat when it''s below zero.
1.gif

Of course, I would not be wearing shorts when it''s 10 degrees, but I have been known to wear a t-shirt at that temp - granted, I''m not outside for long in such case.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I love the cold! I try to avoid heat when possible, and I think all my siblings are the same way. My brother is the weirdo who went to college in Wisconsin and go to class in shorts and a long sleeve T when it was below zero.
5.gif

I think some people for whatever reason adapt to cold. My fiance loves hot, hot weather, meanwhile when it gets above 75 I sweat way too much, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results