shape
carat
color
clarity

Are some people just immune to cold temperatures?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I think you definitely get used to it. It has been freezing here in Chicago this weekend, I am a teacher and we had no school for 2 days because the wind chill was in the -30''s. I went outside bundled up those days, but DAMN it was FREEZING COLD and it hurt. A few weeks ago it was 30''s and I had on a sweater and jeans and was fine with no coat (it was sunny though). I am a NOTORIOUSLY COLD person, but I am used to it. However, when it is low 60''s/ high 50''s late in the summer, early in the fall, you bet I am cold but I will probably still be wearing flip flops. It''s supposed to be 50''s this Saturday and I got a pedicure today in preparation!!!
9.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I have lived in nothern New England pretty much all our lives. I hate the cold and bundle up all the time, but he doesn''t seem bothered by it. He''s always hot and I''m always cold, even in the house. He may be somewhat immune to the cold but I''m definitely not.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
So how do people adapt? I''ve been in New England for almost a decade and am NOT getting used to it. My temperature gauge was set when I was young in the Middle East, so I''m fine with hot, 120 doesn''t bother me, but living in this world of gray slush and bitter wind is wearing me down. Am psyched for the 50 degree weekend coming up, but just thinking of flip flops sent chills down my spine and the toes hurt. The dude in the airport is insane and was projecting his insanity onto you.

Mostly am wondering if the solution to the low internal temp is more doughnuts? Hot chocolate done via IV?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t see any more shorts and t-shirts wearers- shocking as it was a virtual heat wave there yesterday at like 27 or something. :) I was NOT as cold yesterday, but then again, it wasn''t as cold. I''m back in Atlanta now and it''s going to be 55 today, 65 tomorrow and 67 on Sunday. That is ever so much more my speed. I lived in Seattle for a number of years and while it certainly doesn''t get as cold there as it does in almost any other city that far north, that was enough and I''m done with long, cold winters!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
It''s been in the 40s/50s here these past two days. It''s so bad that...our iguanas are freezing to death
7.gif
(Miami''s iguanas that is).

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t imagine adjusting to 10 degrees. I''ve lived in Michigan my whole life, and we have COLD winters.

10 degrees just isn''t tolerable. Even with sun.

However, last weekend when it was mid 30s after being in the 10 degree range, I DID go outside without a jacket and it felt awesome!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I am immune to cold temps. It''s funny because I spent much of my childhood in TX and I remember playing basketball with no shoes on in the backyard on Christmas Eve. I moved to IL and yeah, it''s cold here. I don''t put on a jacket until it''s in the single digits or lower. I don''t put on an actual coat or gloves until it''s below zero and rarely wear a scarf (and most of my shirts are low cut--no turtle necks for me!) When running outside for trash, the garage, to grill (yes, in the snow) I usually just have on flannel pants and flip-flops with a t-shirt. I usually refer to 10 degrees as a bit chilly. I don''t just ACT like it''s not cold, to me it really isn''t. I hate it though when strangers accost me about not wearing a coat, so I usually carry one to stop the pesterers (I know they have good intentions) And, before anyone asks, I always put a coat, hat, gloves, snow boots and scarf on JT. I know the risks of frostbite. I think I just have good circulation or something (although it helps that I''m built weather-resistant). My hands are ALWAYS warm. Family and friends will grab my hands when it''s cold out just to warm theirs up!

However, with the cold immunity comes the heat stroke. I can''t take the summer. I get lightheaded and dizzy when I get overheated (which happens right around 90 degrees). Any hotter than that, and I HAVE to stay indoors.

btw-I keep my thermostat around 65 in the winter because of JT. Before child, I kept the thermostat at 60 in the winter (56-58 at night)

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
emnote.gif
Doing the Snoopy Dance.... it''s 40 today and 50 tomorrow... woot woot.....
emnote.gif

Swimmer if you don''t have something against tanning... try two sessions a week... don''t know why, but it does help the winter blahs..

April glad you are warm again! :)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I really think there are people that just don''t feel it the same way. I went to college with a guy like that - he used to wear shorts in the snow
23.gif
32.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think your body DOES adapt. Three weeks ago here it was -25 and yes, it was freaking cold. My body will NEVER get used to that. But today''s high of 50 felt REALLY warm. I was wearing short sleeves under my jacket and I felt hot. DH and I were driving around with the sun roof open.

Now, 5 months from now when the average temp of 95 falls down to 50, I''ll be wearing a jacket out and complaining about how it''s cold.

Your dude at the airport was nuts, though!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 8:18:45 AM
Author: swimmer
So how do people adapt? I''ve been in New England for almost a decade and am NOT getting used to it. My temperature gauge was set when I was young in the Middle East, so I''m fine with hot, 120 doesn''t bother me, but living in this world of gray slush and bitter wind is wearing me down. Am psyched for the 50 degree weekend coming up, but just thinking of flip flops sent chills down my spine and the toes hurt. The dude in the airport is insane and was projecting his insanity onto you.

Mostly am wondering if the solution to the low internal temp is more doughnuts? Hot chocolate done via IV?
Change the doughnuts to chocolate croissants and you''ve got a deal! And yes please to the hot chocolate IV drip!
9.gif

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
My FI doesn''t feel the cold. He was out last night in jeans ans a t-shirt. It has been snowing all week!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I almost never wear coats and everyone always tells me I''m crazy, but I really just don''t get that cold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results