shape
carat
color
clarity

Are some people actually buried with their diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the thread about whom you are leaving your diamonds to a couple people said they are taking them with them.

Do people really do that?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I know that people wish to.
My husband once asked me if he could be buried with his wedding ring. I thought that was a wonderful request. I wish that could happen.
However, to be honest what I have heard is that when you try to do this, what actually happens is that the funeral home personnel or the cemetery attendants just steal the jewelry. I don''t think there''s a way to prevent this happening.
Personally, I''d rather leave mine to a child, even if the child ended up selling it immediately for cash (which is something else you can''t control people doing. and it doesn''t even mean that they don''t love you. It just means they don''t love jewelry).
At least in that case, my descendant got something, even if it was just money--I didn''t give it away to a (not very honest) stranger.
I have no illusions, though, about being able to control anything that happens once I''m dead. You''re lucky if you can manage that sometimes when you''re alive!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
yup...and then you have the grave robbers that try and get the gems
32.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
DH''s grandma passed away and her daughters made sure to remove her jewelry prior to the cemetery. However, grandpa went and put her diamond back on her hand. I thought it was really sweet but I couldn''t help but wonder who was really going to end up with that diamond.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I''ve no idea how common it is in Ireland to be buried with your jewellery. Neither of my grandmothers were.

Also, over here, it would be possible to check that the jewellery hadn''t been stolen by the funeral home. At every funeral I''ve been at, the family were given a few moments to say goodbye in private, and only once they had had this time was the coffin sealed, with the family still in the room. So you''d know if the jewellery was still on your loved one or not.

Is grave robbing still a problem in the States?!? I have literally never heard a report of it happening over here in modern times!

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 10:33:41 AM
Author: atroop711
yup...and then you have the grave robbers that try and get the gems
32.gif

Ditto - I thought it wasn't allowed, for just that reason. Cemeteries are public places and if someone was desperate for money and knew there was a diamond worth 20k hanging around just 6 feet below them...
32.gif
Not the best idea.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Of course it''s "allowed". You can be buried with almost anything as long as it isn''t still alive
2.gif

Just pop the jewelery on your loved one at the plot before the coffin is sealed and they''re lowered in the ground. Grave robbing is actually quite rare in the states.

I won''t be taking mine with me, but more power to those who do.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s commonly believed in New York that jewelry left on a loved one after the casket is closed, never makes it into the grave. Few caskets are sealed anymore, they''re just closed, and the funeral directors or the guys in the hearse can and do pull jewelry off of people. Has anyone ever had a family check their deceased loved one before the casket is lowered in the ground to see if Grandma was still wearing her ring? No. The funeral directors count on that.

Sounds awful, doesn''t it?

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 1:32:33 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Of course it''s ''allowed''. You can be buried with almost anything as long as it isn''t still alive
2.gif

Just pop the jewelery on your loved one at the plot before the coffin is sealed and they''re lowered in the ground. Grave robbing is actually quite rare in the states.

Actually it wasn''t allowed at the cemetary my grandmother was buried in the UK - even a simple gold band. That was the explanation they gave.

Not sure how it works in the US.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 1:32:33 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Of course it''s ''allowed''. You can be buried with almost anything as long as it isn''t still alive
2.gif

When I go,my jewelry is coming with me...not left behind in some pine box with my ol bones...diamonds need light to be happy dont ya know!
31.gif

Actually most states have grave robber laws.In my state you cant bury anyone with more then $200 worth of precious metals or jewelry(a wedding band is worth about that these days)....Im sure that diamonds and Rolexes will be allowed past the pearly gates!
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results