shape
carat
color
clarity

Are princess cuts really that disliked?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
After reading the thread over in Rocky Talky regarding everyone''s favorite/least fav diamond shape, almost everyone said they disliked princess cuts. Are they really considered ugly or disliked that much here on Pricescope?

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Hmm,

Well when I got married they were ''all the rage''. I loved it at the time and was convinced I wanted one. Years later I met Pricescope and discovered the true brilliance of the other cuts and fell in love with RB and Pears in particular.

I wouldn''t throw a princess cut out of bed for eating crackers but I don''t like it now, it was just a fad for me. They were popular at the time so I liked them, now they aren''t popular I''m not keen.

I think I am not keen because of the x shaped faceting; I think it makes me focus in the centre of the stone. My view closes in on the x and I think it looks smaller because of that. Funny that because the asscher cut should have the same effect but because the faceting seems so much more organised I look at the whole of the stone. Maybe that is it, I dislike busy-ness of the princess, even in a pear I prefer to concentrate less on the pointed end as it is similarly less organised - IMO, if you get me.

Blah blah blah, I could pontificate for the day and you would all be asleep. Some love ''em some not so much. To everybody who has or wants a princess cut I apologise if I offend, to each his or her own. Not saying they aren''t super sparkley and wonderful cuts, just not my cup of tea.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
The reason I'm not a fan of them is the sharp edges. I'm not a fan of marquis and pears for the same reason. I don't like the sharp point. I'm not a fan of the X pattern either in the princess.

But I do like the newer princess version with the clipped corners. I like square shaped diamonds, radiants,cushions just not the harsh corners.

I got engaged before the princess phase. There are a ton of young female teachers at the elementary school my kids go to and I think 75% of them that are married or recentl engaged have a princess cut. Most of the women who have been married between 10-15 years have rounds, and those who have been married over 15 years have mostly rounds with a few marquis thrown in, I think of these as 80's engagements. Thats what I have nocticed where I currently live. When I lived on the east coast, I noticed a larger variety of shapes.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, I think the princess cut is lovely. I have 3 good friends who own beautiful princesses and could stare at them all day! hehe

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness February, I was wondering the same thing. I love how clean and crisp it looks with its square shape. My baby is a princess and it was the only cut that appealed to me when FI and I got engaged. Now I feel bad that it''s so disliked.

Makes my heart go pitter patter though.....
36.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t dislike Princess cuts, but I have only seen one that I thought was well cut. There are a lot of badly cut Princesses out there, and they look dull. The well cut one I saw was a knockout.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 9:38:34 AM
Author:february2003bride
After reading the thread over in Rocky Talky regarding everyone''s favorite/least fav diamond shape, almost everyone said they disliked princess cuts. Are they really considered ugly or disliked that much here on Pricescope?
february2003bride,
First of all, let me say that I LOVE
30.gif
your princess cut e-ring. It really is gorgeous. At one point, I wanted a princess cut too. Until I found my square radiant which was right for *me* (and let me say, it seems that radiants are definitely on a lot of PS''ers dislike list too
15.gif
).

The thing for me is that I see some gorgeous princess cuts on PS that makes me really like them, but then all the princess cuts that I see in real life (and it seems that most of the people I am friends with have princess cuts) are seriously very mediocre at best... not sparkly at all (even after being cleaned)... and it''s kind of a turn-off.

So I guess I''m torn... ?
40.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, as I said on the other thread ... I don''t *dislike* princesses. (Don''t think you should switch your three-stone back to a solitaire though!!!
3.gif
JMHO)

Maybe it''s an over-saturation thing. I liked Coach bags until they were EVERYWHERE ... I still think they''re nice quality but I don''t crave owning any new ones. Something about the name rubs me the wrong way too ... "Princess". (Like "ASScHER" is so sophisticated
25.gif
20.gif
31.gif
)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 10:16:32 AM
Author: decodelighted
(Like ''ASScHER'' is so sophisticated
25.gif
20.gif
31.gif
)

36.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto what others have said--I have never seen an excellent cut Princess in the stores. I have tried all the cuts basically, in "faux-form", to see if I liked them on me. I found I just don''t like square shapes on me. There definitely was an issue with over saturation here too. The only important issue is if you like your stone. That''s all that matters.
2.gif

sputat

Rough_Rock
<---- With my Princess + Trillions ring, I'm 0-2 here in Pricescopeland.
16.gif

Do I give a hootenannny? Nah. I lurve my ring! The end.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with those who take issue with the sharp corners, "fad"ness, the NAME, and the overabundance of poorly cut princesses. They were, however, my absolute favorite cut when I was a young teenager, before I discovered that there were other square cuts (maybe that's part of liking them less now).

I have to say, I really enjoy them in average to smaller ct. weights (say, 1.2 and smaller).

For some strange reason though, I'm absolutely in love with this ring from Fay Cullen, which is a 0.4 ct princess. I guess I like the littler ones!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 10:54:12 AM
Author: sputat
<---- With my Princess + Trillions ring, I''m 0-2 here in Pricescopeland.
16.gif
Hey .. you get points for "flow" & "matching" though! It''s a good combo of similar shapes & sparkle!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2007 10:10:12 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I don''t dislike Princess cuts, but I have only seen one that I thought was well cut. There are a lot of badly cut Princesses out there, and they look dull. The well cut one I saw was a knockout.
Ditto MB, that is how I feel, but get a well cut Princess and they are gorgeous!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Princess was never an option for me because they were just too darn popular and I wanted something different. So, I went with a cushion and everyone thinks its a princess anyway!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t give upgrading a thought until I joined the "other" forum about 2 1/2 years ago, and swallowed the bait hook, line, and definitely sinker. I had worn my original .62 RB for over 40 years and was very happy with it.....until that fateful day I saw, what I considered to be, a drop-dead gorgeous photo of a princess and long story shorter, bought into the hype.
8.gif

It''s definitely not my fault that I wanted a princess so badly I could taste it
20.gif

I definitely still like my princess, but it''s like everything else: once you have it, you''re looking for something a "little different/better". It''s highly unlikely that I''ll get another upgrade, but if I did, it would have be a large 3c+ asscher.

You know, sometimes I miss my little rb solitaire
38.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like princess-cuts but I''m not too fond of the sharp edges either. I preferred the lucida cut so that''s why I went for that.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mentioned my reasons for not being a fan on the the other thread (although I think I forgot to mention I don''t like large tables). But initially, I thought it was what I wanted because I thought it was the only square cut out there. But then of course I found PS.

The fact that it''s all over the place (as others have mentioned) and they are usually icky probably has something to do with it. I have not seen a fantastic princess IRL yet, but I daresay seeing one would change my mind a bit.

Sputat, Deco beat me to it...your ring definitely has a nice flow!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My aunt has a lovely princess cut that is bezel set. I said that I don't care for them... but I should have said that I don't care for them for myself, and I don't like the 70 depth you seem to have to have... and I don't like the v prongs you see on settings for them. I do like them, when well cut and mostly bezel set.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I definitely didn''t want a princess for myself (LOVE my OVAL!) but I don''t hate them. I do, however, hate all the "invisi-set" princesses out there... where they take 4 tiny princess stones and put them all together so it looks like one big one. I hate that. And half the women in my office have them.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Summer, your post made me laugh...Ditto!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the actively dislike camp, and if I was given one I''d sell/exchange it immediately.

I''ve just never liked them. They are very popular in the UK - and tend to be bad quality and very small.

One of our friends has a Tiffany princess in a big chunky setting. A group of us were out for dinner together, and whilst her ring was probably the most expensive round the table, it sparkled less than anyone elses and just looked a bit plain and boring.

When I took my brother to look at diamonds, he said a friend had suggested he got a princess cut. I thought ''over my dead body'' and took him to see some in Cartier and De Beers - luckily he didn''t like them at all either.

Give me a cushion or an OEC anytime.

But it would be very boring if we all liked the same things.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 12:40:49 PM
Author: sumbride
I do, however, hate all the ''invisi-set'' princesses out there... where they take 4 tiny princess stones and put them all together so it looks like one big one. I hate that. And half the women in my office have them.
Thank you!
36.gif

I always thought they were crap. Not funny, not clever; just mutton invisibly set as lamb.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 2:15:22 PM
Author: Steel

I do, however, hate all the ''invisi-set'' princesses out there... where they take 4 tiny princess stones and put them all together so it looks like one big one. I hate that. And half the women in my office have them.
Thank you!
36.gif

I always thought they were crap. Not funny, not clever; just mutton invisibly set as lamb.

EXACTLY!!! It''s like they are trying to fool us but not remotely doing a good job at it. Everytime someone holds one up to tell of her new engagement, I smile and say "congrats, you must be so happy!" Probably the only time I never say anything about the ring!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Sputat''s ring is princess done right
30.gif

For about five seconds that changed my mind until I began remembering all of the ugly princesses out there. I think it''s the one shape that when it''s cut poorly it really shows. I won''t even get started on the invisible set ones.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 2:45:21 PM

Thank you!
36.gif

EXACTLY!!! It''s like they are trying to fool us but not remotely doing a good job at it. Everytime someone holds one up to tell of her new engagement, I smile and say ''congrats, you must be so happy!'' Probably the only time I never say anything about the ring!
I don''t think they''re all that great either, but then I think...some folks don''t have the budget but want a rock that looks big and that''s what they can afford. Personally, I''d take the money and do a different style, but to each their own. I feel lucky that we were able to even get a carat.
1.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 10:54:12 AM
Author: sputat
<---- With my Princess + Trillions ring, I''m 0-2 here in Pricescopeland.
16.gif

Do I give a hootenannny? Nah. I lurve my ring! The end.
Well put!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
My first ering was a princess and I love it to death. They can be beautiful stones. I like square shape stones in general and have nothing against princess cuts. (well except maybe the name which seems little girlish). Mine is a 1.29 ct and I think that is a super size for a princess. It is set as a simple four prong solitaire and to this day it looks very lovely and elegant (if I do say so myself!!
1.gif
)

On my upgrade I went with an RB for a change.

Styles come and go and the best thing is just to buy what you like and enjoy what you have.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 2:55:59 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/5/2007 2:45:21 PM

Thank you!
36.gif

EXACTLY!!! It''s like they are trying to fool us but not remotely doing a good job at it. Everytime someone holds one up to tell of her new engagement, I smile and say ''congrats, you must be so happy!'' Probably the only time I never say anything about the ring!
I don''t think they''re all that great either, but then I think...some folks don''t have the budget but want a rock that looks big and that''s what they can afford. Personally, I''d take the money and do a different style, but to each their own. I feel lucky that we were able to even get a carat.
1.gif
TGal, I am a genuine girl. I prefer to have smaller but honest rather than larger but fake. Hmmmm, now that I think about it it applys to more than my ring!
31.gif
As usual no offence is intended. If you want or have illusion set then great. There is not much happiness in the world so grab it when/where ever you can, be it in the form of an illusion set ring or not.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:15:53 PM

TGal, I am a genuine girl. I prefer to have smaller but honest rather than larger but fake. Hmmmm, now that I think about it it applys to more than my ring!
31.gif
As usual no offence is intended. If you want or have illusion set then great. There is not much happiness in the world so grab it when/where ever you can, be it in the form of an illusion set ring or not.
We''re still talking about diamonds, right?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results