shape
carat
color
clarity

Are platinum rings plated? (and platinum vs. white gold)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chax

Rough_Rock
Can some one help me?

I am trying to get an engagement ring made, using a diamond I was given when very young. My girlfriend has always said she wanted platinum.

The Jewlers I have gone to say they don''t recommend this as platinum is plated with rhodium (just like white gold) and needs to be replated every so often. Is this true - I have found other sources that disagree.

What are the disadvantages of platinum vs white gold (obvivously cost, but also I have been told re-sizing platinum is difficult and always leaves a mark as the solder is softer than the ring body. This does not occur with white gold)

Any help for a much confused man would be very much appreciated.
twirl.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the forum, Chax.

Platinum is Rhodium plated to make it look shiny. When rhodium wears out, platinum ring gets less shiny and a bit greyish while white gold looks yellowish.

Some jewelry designers don't use white gold at all.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just had my platinum ring resized, and since the jewelry professional (DBOF) used the right type of solder and finishing techniques, I can't see even a smidgen of a mark, even with a loupe! On the other hand, I noticed a girlfriend's resizing right away, as she used someone who wasn't as skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results