shape
carat
color
clarity

Are my expectations super unrealistic? (Sapphires)

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
So, I am very new to colored stone shopping (especially sapphire) and I am wondering if this is out of the question:

yellow-ish sapphire (parti color ok, even open to other colors in the green/blue family maybe, but yellow is ideal)
emerald cut, or some kind of elongated squared shape like that
about 8mm x 12mm in size, maybe even a little larger
heat ok
for about $1k?

This isn't something that I am looking to buy right now, but I am planning for a ring in the future and was previously only considering yellow zircon. I am wondering if I am totally off-base? The reason I switched to consider sapphire is because I saw a parti colored sapphire from one of the recommended colored stone vendors that was about 2 carats for only about $250 and I actually really liked how it looked. It made me think that maybe I could snag up something larger that I liked for under $1k. I am ok with heat treatment. Is finding something like this out of the question?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 12 x 8 mm requirement is probably going to be unrealistic. It works out to be around 5 carats! As reference, a 2 ct heated yellow sapphire (8 x 6 mm) is around $1.5K. Can you post the picture of the parti-sapphire?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1454606050|3986835 said:
Your post made me think of this one that sold very quickly. Note the size and the price. But I'd contact Jeff and see if he has anything else.

http://jefferydavies.com/contact-us
[email protected]

With that colour and at that price, I would get a better lab to verify that it isn't diffused if one is particular about treatment.

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
I don't have a pic :( It was from precisiongem.com and it has sold and no longer pictured on the site. Yes, it is a large size requirement and I totally get that that is going to be very prohibitive. I am looking for something with some real presence, but perhaps I will have to change course with regard to the type of stone.

@Sparklies - that is beautiful! I certainly see why it went fast! Thank you for Jeff's info, I will reach out to him for sure.

All in all though, I am not totally stuck on one idea with regard to the type of stone (I am in such early stages of planning this), my main requirement is that I need a stone that is big and durable. I plan to set it in a halo with a cathedral shank that kind of 'swoops' up and I just don't think I am going to get the look and feel that I am going for with a smaller stone on my size finger, unfortunately. :-/

S

SparkliesLuver

Bear with me. What do you think of this color? It's 10.10 x 4.20 mm and within your budget. It's a heated sapphire.

j2w_ysa912aa.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I know you want sapphire, ideally, but I came across this and wanted to post it: http://clearcutgems.com/zircon/z5.html.. It's a yellow zircon, 10 x 8mm for $1,350.

You mentioned you want something durable. Are we talking everyday wear?

zircon-z5.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1454607991|3986861 said:
Bear with me. What do you think of this color? It's 10.10 x 4.20 mm and within your budget. It's a heated sapphire.

I'm crazy about that one, I got hand shots of it even, but didn't look as good

ysa912aa_onhand1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1454610773|3986876 said:
I've been eyeing that one for a while now too. Nice size and colour for a very good price. I think the hand shot is quite good; there's not much one can do with an elongated stone and due to the cutting, I am doubtful you'll get the half/half shadowing that plagues very elongated cuts.

Is a chrysoberyl acceptable? It is yellow/green and durable although 5 carats is quite rare but 3 ct is doable for your budget.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1454612009|3986881 said:
Niel|1454610773|3986876 said:
I've been eyeing that one for a while now too. Nice size and colour for a very good price. I think the hand shot is quite good; there's not much one can do with an elongated stone and due to the cutting, I am doubtful you'll get the half/half shadowing that plagues very elongated cuts.

Is a chrysoberyl acceptable? It is yellow/green and durable although 5 carats is quite rare but 3 ct is doable for your budget.

Hopefully, that's the last one I posted. Just under 3 cts

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock

Wow, that is a stunner! I would almost think of a new design just to have that one! :naughty: :naughty: I think the color is beautiful, but I don't think it will fit this particular project I have in mind. I want something a bit more neutral and I am afraid the purple just isn't right.

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1454608795|3986864 said:
I know you want sapphire, ideally, but I came across this and wanted to post it: http://clearcutgems.com/zircon/z5.html... It's a yellow zircon, 10 x 8mm for $1,350.

You mentioned you want something durable. Are we talking everyday wear?

Not necessarily every day wear, but perhaps I would like the option. I am a little rough on my hands and even with a low set LM engagement ring I am constantly whacking it against doorframes and such. Certainly I would have to be more careful with this project ring. I do love zircon but I know I would need to be extra careful with one. And this one is really pretty, but my ER is an oval so I feel like this one is a bit too roundish and I would prefer more of a rectangular look (just more flexible on the type of rectangle - traditional emerald, scissor cut, etc)

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock

Where did you find this stone?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
duckduckgoose|1454684187|3987176 said:
Niel|1454611106|3986877 said:
Squaring cushion,yellow 8.5x10.5 ish under 1k

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=1779

You know, I hadn't considered chrysoberyl bc I assumed it would be too greenish, but perhaps it will work. I've never actually seen one in person.

They are quite beautiful in person, in my opinion.

And you can find ones with little to no green to them.

S

SparkliesLuver

duckduckgoose said:
Wow, that is a stunner! I would almost think of a new design just to have that one! :naughty: :naughty: I think the color is beautiful, but I don't think it will fit this particular project I have in mind. I want something a bit more neutral and I am afraid the purple just isn't right.

haha I know how that goes. ;-) Would you mind sharing anything about your project?

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
duckduckgoose|1454684187|3987176 said:
Niel|1454611106|3986877 said:
Squaring cushion,yellow 8.5x10.5 ish under 1k

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=1779

You know, I hadn't considered chrysoberyl bc I assumed it would be too greenish, but perhaps it will work. I've never actually seen one in person.

Here are a few pics of Chrysos without green, to see if you like the look? Neither are available for purchase - just as a color example:

216exchrysoberyll.gif

chrys001ex216.jpg

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
@ alexah
Thank you for those examples, I really like the color of the lighter yellow one - I am definitely going to look into this!

@SparkliesLuver
Well, for an upcoming anniversary I am going to have an occasional wear ER made (a RHR I guess, but I don't really wear RHR's). I went very "safe" on my ER and wedding band (solitaire and very simple eternity band) and I want to use my anniversary gifts as a chance to get creative. I am super sentimental and with the whole wedding jewelry thing being such a big purchase, I wanted to invest in super neutral pieces so that I wouldn't ever dislike them. It was a big step that I even opted for an oval over a round lol. For our first anniversary I designed a band that I really love and I actually wear it more than my original band! So that's why I wonder if I will end up stashing the ER away too and want something pretty durable for my "anniversary ER".

What I am envisioning is a yellow elongated hexagonal shaped stone in diamond halo that has a little art deco flair - perhaps a pave halo with some baguettes mixed in to the left and right of the stone. We still have a couple years to go before I will be able to get the ring, but I want to have enough time to change my mind a million times lol and also be able to spread the cost out so that if I see a stone along the way I can snatch it up and hold on to it until we are ready to set it.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are whacking a low set ring around, then I would not get a zircon and would stick with a sapphire. In the CS world, that is considered very hard on your rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results