shape
carat
color
clarity

Are 4 prongs safe??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anniediamond

Rough_Rock
I haven''t found my diamond yet, still just looking and learning. I do have a question about settings. I''m wondering if 6 prongs cover up too much of the diamond. On the other hand, I don''t want to feel insecure with 4 prongs...about maybe loosing a stone. I''ve looked at some of vatche settings. I really like the x-prong, but again, I wouldn''t want to be worried about a diamond coming lose. Any reassurance out there???

Annie

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A general categorization would be that a six prong setting has more prongs, but thinner, while a four prong setting has less prongs, but thicker.

In my experience, they stack up pretty even in performance. The largest ingredient in security is a diamond setter who knows what he's doing. A good setter will set that diamond in there like a Sherman tank, and you don't have to worry about it as long as you have your prongs checked periodically. I recommend once a year, some stores say every six months.

Platinum is always a safer metal for the setting portion than white gold, although white gold is very respectable. If you have a choice, take the platinum. It doesn't have to be the whole ring, just the portion containing the "head" and prongs.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Ditto to what Rich has said.

In the hands of an experienced setter
4-prong gold is safe. Just make sure to have the ring
checked at least once a year.

Platinum is my personal preference, both
for its beauty and durability. I have never had a
problem with this metal.

The key in all cases is to take proper care of your ring and stone with regular periodic checking and cleaning.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the group.

But ~ I would suggest you insure the diamond and let the Insurance company loose sleep at night worrying that your out in your back yard chopping wood with the ring on
1.gif

Good question , glad you brought it up.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/8/2003 7:41:51 AM Iceman wrote:

I agree with the group.

But ~ I would suggest you insure the diamond and let the Insurance company loose sleep at night worrying that your out in your back yard chopping wood with the ring on
1.gif

Good question , glad you brought it up.

----------------
I actually lost a ring that way. Out in the "backyard" helping hubby chop wood. Took off my gloves and no ring. We checked everywhere including the gloves. Never did find it. Insurance was not happy. The insurance company found my story a bit hard to believe. But, our agent was great. We lived in a rural area and our agent informed the company it was quite common for women to chop wood where we lived. LOL
2.gif

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Ice and PQ:

I have a true story! We sold an expensive custom made ring at Christmas - heavy platinum ring with a huge princess center stone and channel set princesses down the sides. The whole process was very intense with many e-mails back and forth. The final product was magnificent. Anyway, I get an e-mail about a month later. She was dismantalling the Xmas tree and it fell - so she ran to catch it and smacked the ring against the fireplace. Thank goodness the diamonds were not damaged, but there was a large dent in the platinum. Needless to say they sent it back for repair.

Moral of the story....don't take down Xmas trees with a $30K custom ring on!!!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

anniediamond

Rough_Rock
WOW--so many responses! Thank you all for your helpful information. LesleyH from Whiteflash, what a story! I can imagine how upset the poor lady was. I guess it proves that diamonds are as strong and forever as people say, since only the platinum was damaged. I think I like the 4 prong better because I want to see the diamond.

Thankfully, I won't be chopping wood-bad for the nails, not to mention the ring I will someday be wearing.

--Annie

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh, diamonds are *not* that strong. They are hard, but easily chipped. If that woman had hit her princess at the right angle, a piece might have sheared off.

The moral of course, is that since we wear our rings so much, we sometimes forget that rings are jewelery--and jewelry is for adornment. So, it's important to care for them as you would any expensive decorative item.

Anyway, the moral of the story

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hest:

That's why I have a crystal ring tree in my closet. The first thing I do when I get home from work is kick off my shoes and take off all my rings. I immediately put them on the ring tree so I remember where I put them. I NEVER cook or do housework with my rings on.

I bought the ring tree after I threw away a ring when I was cleaning the kitchen counters!!

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yep, same place EVERYTIME. Didn't someone once report that they lost their diamond down a disposal. Also, my rings stay away from the bathroom (except for careful washing). If I can flush my keys down a toilet, my ring would be an easy one.

All that said. I personally prefer 4 prongs over 6 prongs. I have never had a problem w/ any of my settings. I would suppose the only problem would be if one's girdle was too thin.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Oh the horror stories we all can tell
Of the jewelry we have lost...
Down the drain, or in the can
With the garbage...they've been tossed!

LesleyH at Whiteflash
Your idea is great
We all should get a ring tree
Before it is too late!!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results