shape
carat
color
clarity

Arctic Ideal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
I went to Bailey Banks and Biddle today to do a little eye research. I have been reading through the forums trying to decide what is the best bang for my buck... I asked to view an ideal cut diamond at BBB and they said they had arctic ideals. I asked what the difference is and the saleslady said that arctic ideals are diamonds that come from cold areas and are better than ideal diamonds. Has anyone heard of this? Am I going crazy thinking it''s just a sales ploy?

Ana

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just a sales ploy. Their Artic stones are just their version of ideal cut stones. No better and maybe worse than you can find with some of the online vendors here.

Cold areas? You've got to be kidding me!
14.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, sales ploy. Cold region... don''t they heat up their workshop or are they trying to save even that bit of $$?

moonlite

Rough_Rock
I guess what he meant is our Canada's Arctic diamond from mines in the Northwest Territories. And the last time i checked they are more expensive than diamonds we can buy from the States ( don't know y though)

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the information! I thought it was a hoax. I appreciate the confirmation.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/18/2009 9:56:08 PM
Author: AnaClare
Thanks for the information! I thought it was a hoax. I appreciate the confirmation.

I wouldn''t call it a hoax, because they are not making claims that are not fulfilled with the diamond.

Is the diamond from Canada? Yes.

Is it "ideal" by many definitions? Yes, I think those particular stones are in fact graded by AGS as Ideal, Its been a while since i worked for them, but I seem to remember that.

Don''t be too hard on the old guy. The diamonds are probably not the best value, but they are labeled properly, just sold poorly. I heard they are closing half their stores, maybe you could pick one up at a discount.

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jonathan for the correction. I was just surprised to hear that the saleslady said the diamonds were nicer as some with the same stats just because it was from a cold region. They were in fact liquidating their merchandise because the store may or may not close.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/19/2009 12:21:38 AM
Author: AnaClare
Thanks Jonathan for the correction. I was just surprised to hear that the saleslady said the diamonds were nicer as some with the same stats just because it was from a cold region. They were in fact liquidating their merchandise because the store may or may not close.

Ha, Yeah I don''t think the coldness has anything to do with the diamond''s quality. That''s just downright silly.
26.gif
20.gif
19.gif
1.gif

iraweissman

Rough_Rock
Trade
Also, keep in mind that BBB is a division of Zales, and therefore survives (barely) on good old fashioned jewelry business markups of 50%-100%. You''re better off buying from an online vendor that lists diamonds not in their inventory. Markups with these online vendors typically run between 15 and 20%.

KP_Gemologist

Rough_Rock
The advantage of an Artic Ideal (ideal cut stone from Canada) is that you have the guarantee that your stone is not a "blood diamond", and that appropriate labor practices were used in mining it. The labor treatment at most mines in Africa is atrocious. This is why the Canadian stones are more expensive.

The cold temp has nothing to do with the diamonds, but the Canadian mine is know to have a very good average of good quality diamonds.

PS: BBB is no longer a division of Zales Corp, it was purchased by Finlay.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results