shape
carat
color
clarity

April the giraffe

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've looked at a few times, too. Has the animal park vet said anything? April is really late according to what I read.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They said she is very healthy, and the calf will be born when it is ready, and not a moment sooner

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a while I began to think it was all just a hoax...I think I'm wrong but it has just been going on
soooooo long! I feel bad for April having to be shut up for so long (and her boyfriend too).

I'll go back and watch once the baby is born or if I catch wind that delivery is imminent!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They say any minute now! I was just watching the live cam and she bolted to a standing position from being totally still and lying down so maybe we almost there!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They say any minute now! I was just watching the live cam and she bolted to a standing position from being totally still and lying down so maybe we almost there!

Just watching her trying to sit down - folding her front legs then the big drop - makes me hold my breath.

The vet is saying she will have the baby on Sunday.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Just watching her trying to sit down - folding her front legs then the big drop - makes me hold my breath.

The vet is saying she will have the baby on Sunday.

Poor thing looks so uncomfortable. Looks like she is in active labor.

When she stands near the partition Ollie puts his head over it and tries to nuzzle and comfort her.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaaargh! I was SURE we were going to wake up to a new baby giraffe! When I first logged on and the live feed was DOWN I thought, OH NO, what happened?! But apparently just technical difficulties. (If I were running the most widely watched live birth came on the planet I'd have a BACK UP just in case... but that's me... )

You really don't a sense of scale until you see the vet by her with his head just up to her belly! The CB pointed out that the three pieces of plywood on the side of her enclosure are 4' each, so she's about 12' tall. Her head would go about to the top of my bookcases!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dee!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dee!

It is back up now.

And yes DeeJay, I was going to say the same thing when I saw the female handler standing next to April. And when the baby is born it will already be 50 pounds and 6 feet tall.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ollie is pacing back and forth like a nervous father to be. I hope somebody ordered him some cigars to pass out to the lions and tigers and bears -- oh my!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
STILL pregnant? REALLY, April, REALLY?! C'mon girl!!! I got stuff to DO today!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Since the weather has warmed up here on the East Coast, and I assume upstate New York, according to the site April and Ollie will be given some yard time. They are hoping that will speed things along.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She doesn't even look like she's in labor yet.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw them open the wall to let April into the yard today. I watched for a few minutes and she didn't walk through it.

I can't resist checking in a couple of times a day even though the offs of catching the labor/delivery is so slim!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this stupid live cam thing up and streaming with a split screen on whatever computer I'm using at the time! I'd be so mad to watch and watch and watch and then miss it, LOL. Even the CB is in on it! He came to kiss me goobye this morning when he was leaving for work at 5:30 and whispered in my ear... "No Baby G yet." :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got out of the shower yesterday morning I found the CB here at the breakfast bar. He was doing whatever he was doing on half the screen and watching April on the other half. He loves it when she comes up really close to the camera and sticks her tongue out for treats!

IMG_0811.JPG

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL at the CB.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The did an interview with the vet and I found the below interesting as to the subject of inducing labor.

"Several people who have been following the live-stream of the giraffe since it started Feb. 23 have asked if the can be induced.

“No, I cannot induce her, nor should we want to (those are human constructs which don’t apply to large wild animals and only endanger the life of April and her calf),” officials wrote."

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like the door of her enclosure is open but she's not going outside. That surprises me -- after being cooped up for so long I would think she'd be happy to get outside a little!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They have been opening up her door for the last 3 days and the farthest she will go is the doorway.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have been opening up her door for the last 3 days and the farthest she will go is the doorway.

It that were me I'd be out of that enclosure so far there would be sparks flying off my tail!

BTW, there's a baby rhino expected at the Cleveland zoo. Not until September though, but at the rate April is going along that's about when Baby G is going to be born so we can just switch our live stream screens from one to another, LOL.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
It that were me I'd be out of that enclosure so far there would be sparks flying off my tail!

BTW, there's a baby rhino expected at the Cleveland zoo. Not until September though, but at the rate April is going along that's about when Baby G is going to be born so we can just switch our live stream screens from one to another, LOL.

If you enjoy the animal cams, check out the eagle ones. There are a few.

You can watch from when the mated pair make their nest, lay their eggs, the baby eaglets breaking out of their eggs and the feeding and care of the parents. Mom and dad are equal partners in all of this and trade off.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all your fault Ruby! I never watched an animal cam in my life until you introduced me to April, and and now baby eagles -- I'll NEVER get anything done! :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
This is all your fault Ruby! I never watched an animal cam in my life until you introduced me to April, and and now baby eagles -- I'll NEVER get anything done! :lol:

If you ever want to take a break from this sometimes crazy world and just watch the beauty of animals in all they do, I know nothing relaxes me more.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
In the last 24 to 36 hours, I swear April has not stopped eating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results