shape
carat
color
clarity

Approximate cost for a new prong

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I found an antique 18k gold ring setting on ebay that is an uncalibrated size that happens to be the exact size for my Mahenge spinel. The issue is there are only 4 prongs, with one completely broken off. Can anyone give me a guess to what it would cost to have a new prong built for it? Trying to decide if I should bid or not. Thanks for any help.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't say for your specific situation but I've had prongs retipped before on a ring and it cost $300. You could send a pic to a jewelry repair shop and see if they can give you a quote before you commit.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As with all jewellery repairs, the cost is in the skill and labor not the minuscule extra gold needed.
Often times more work is needed on the other prongs, they might “look” ok but could need replacing too.
That said, if it’s a beautiful setting and it’s the right price, buy it.
I’d bid on the basis of the cost of a pre loved but “ready to go setting” less a few hundred dollars.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If @bludiva had 4 prongs re-tipped, the $300 price she paid seems pricey (and I live in NYC, where overhead is high). Think Greenwich St. Jewelers in Manhattan charged me $35-$40** to have their in-house bench re-tip a prong on one of my vintage 18K rings -- and that was using a laser welder, which always costs more here.

Granted, your job would involve more than a single re-tipping since the bench will need to rebuild/replace at least that one prong. But the bench may give you somewhat of a discount because it's an empty setting so they don't have to remove the center stone or "work around" it. Does the eBay vendor have a return-full refund policy that would enable you to get accurate price quote(s) after you receive the setting & then return it if the quotes are higher than you care to pay? Returning the setting wouldn't be as practical, however, if you live in a different country than the vendor.

** The re-tipping was a component of work I had done on the ring & I'm not entirely certain about the exact charge for the re-tipping. But I was pleasantly surprised at the cost :))

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine was a platinum fishtail setting so more expensive, I saw another thread where a 4 prong ring was retipped for 70$ so hopefully it would be on the lower end for you. I still thing a jeweler would easily be able to give you a quote before you buy. Good luck!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. I ended up dragging my feet and the auction ended below melt price:(sad. I'm still keeping a look out though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results