shape
carat
color
clarity

Appropriate ift for postman

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So.... it's 9:30 pm. And our postman just dropped off a package. He looked frazzled, overheated and exhausted.

He's a really great postman, so I want to get him something nicer than a 10 dollar bottle of wine.

Anyone got ideas or suggestions?

Budget up to 25-30 bucks.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
What about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant? Something small he won't have to lug around on his route.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you book a foot massage for $30?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Just an FYI, but I believe as a Federal employee, there are restrictions to what you can give as a gift to a Postal worker. Liquor and wine are not allowed. Neither is cash. And there is a $20 limit on gifts.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1418104078|3798090 said:
Can you book a foot massage for $30?

Yup, anything for the feet, whether he mostly drives or not. I'm a huge proponent of wool socks, here are some links:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/socks/men/mens-zip-hyperlite-no-show/charcoal!black

http://www.smartwool.com/mens-phd-outdoor-medium-crew-socks-12.html

http://www.bridgedale.com/trailblaze-long

Ok, maybe you don't know what size he needs, but I think Kenny is onto something with the feet first approach, and I have added onto it with the sock factor.

If you don't want to get that specific with your postman, maybe cash in an envelope plus a pair of nice one-size-fits-most slipper socks would do the trick?

Coffee gift cards?

Just cash?

All of those seem appropriate. Nice of you to remember him thoughtfully instead of just a bonus stuck in the mailbox. We love our mail lady, and man, you reap what you sow. She is second to none in the service department, always walks our oversized packages up to the door and tucks them away securely if we're not home. She is a gem and we make sure she knows we appreciate her.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally give mine a small box of chocolate, and I may give him a small box of doggie biscuits as he carries them to treat the dogs on his round.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Gypsy, we always give our postman cash. We always write out a card thanking him for all his hard work and give it to him personally with the money. I think that's what (most of them) they prefer. Cash is always appreciated I think. Though a thoughtful gift is just that so thoughtful everyone can use money. Perhaps cash with some home baked goods would combine the best of both worlds?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1418124641|3798155 said:
Hi Gypsy, we always give our postman cash. We always write out a card thanking him for all his hard work and give it to him personally with the money. I think that's what (most of them) they prefer. Cash is always appreciated I think. Though a thoughtful gift is just that so thoughtful everyone can use money. Perhaps cash with some home baked goods would combine the best of both worlds?

Okay. So, would be happy to do cash. But apparently: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/12/what_can_you_give_the_mailman.html

GIfts have to be $20 and under and cannot be cash. Liquor and wine are also prohibited, according to USPS. (WHOOPS!) Gift cards of up to $20 are also permitted, but the card cannot be redeemable for cash money and must be issued from a single company, not from a bank or shopping mall.

So I'm thinking a gift card. And maybe some chocolates.

Now, do I do a starbucks gift card? I don't think 20 bucks will buy much of a foot massage.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418197129|3798776 said:

Okay. So, would be happy to do cash. But apparently: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/12/what_can_you_give_the_mailman.html

GIfts have to be $20 and under and cannot be cash. Liquor and wine are also prohibited, according to USPS. (WHOOPS!) Gift cards of up to $20 are also permitted, but the card cannot be redeemable for cash money and must be issued from a single company, not from a bank or shopping mall.

Now, do I do a starbucks gift card? I don't think 20 bucks will buy much of a foot massage.

I gave my cousin a gift card for his b-day one year. (he was really into some little car toys and I had no idea which he had or wanted) To make it a little more special, I stuck it in a Starbucks travel cup (I did one of the clear ones so he could see inside) with one of their chocolate covered goodies. Looked kind of cool and added a fun touch to the gift card.

Other gift card ideas might be grocery store (they have everything including Starbucks in some) or department store (keep it inexpensive -- $20 to Kohls is great but $20 to Nordstroms is frustrating (been there, couldn't shop with that!)).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1418197129|3798776 said:

Do you know if he drinks/likes Starbucks? If so I think that is a thoughtful gift. And definitely like the chocolates as an additional nice touch. However, I just want to add that even though the rules/regulations say no cash my post people (post woman in NYC and postman in NJ) have had no issue with accepting cash. I am not saying you should go against rules and regulations instead I am just sharing my experience with this. In any case any gift you give should be appreciated because I don't think everyone gives to the post people and it is a nice thing to do as their job can be challenging especially this time of year.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always included $20 in a nice, thoughtful card. Don't ask, don't tell. ;-) (We're very friendly with him, and he always gives us a beautiful thank you card in return. So I believe our gift, despite being simple, non-personal, and not of a great amount is appreciated.)

I also do the same for our UPS guy. The other day I asked when he gets home this time of year, and he said around 9, 9:30!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We give a Panera gift card usually, though we never have the same person twice.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If cash is unacceptable I would give a Visa $20 gift card. I've always given our mail carrier cash and never heard it was a problem although now you have me thinking that a Visa card might be a better way to go.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

This is the official rule. so $20 cash or $20 visa card, same thing (cash equivalent). I don't really care if people tip. If you wanted to stay inside the rules a gift card or a physical gift worth $20 or less is acceptable.

I just do the box of chocolates but may switch it up and get a dunkin donuts card instead.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
A few of us in the neighborhood each chip in $20 towards a tab at the local deli where our postal carrier usually has lunch. We give her a card with all our names and the amount we each chipped in, for her records, along with a tab receipt from the deli.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

We've always given our mail lady a Visa Gift Card for $25. I never knew that the limit was $20!
We don't gift the UPS or Fed Ex guy bc most of our stuff is delivered by usps.
I did score a bunch of lotion and wallflowers on sale from Bath and Body Works and I could give her some of those as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think a Visa gift card is allowed. I think its a cash equivalent. The Washington times said that the gift card has to be for one store.

I know what the Post Office statement says, but those things never capture the 'real' rule. It also doesn't say no alcohol, but apparently that is a thing too.

I'll play it safe and do a gift certificate to someplace local.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes there are restrictions, but is that even policed in some way? I don't think so. Many people that I know give cash and I've never heard of it creating issues.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results