carat
color
clarity

Appropriate donation amount to shelter or service

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again -

We saw a black and white kittie last night by our house - it was hanging out with another 2 cats - we've seen them before.

We fed them and gave them water and when I watched the cats I noticed one of them was limping on its front leg. :((

I'm going to call / ask around for any services / groups who may be willing/able to trap the cat, treat it, and then release back to the same spot.

What would be the appropriate donation for something like this?

(please give me a range if you can - starting with the minimum you'd give - because as much as I wish $ was no object, it is...but I don't want to give less than what would be the "right" thing to do.)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The "right" thing to do would be to give what you can afford. If your budget allows, a donation of about $50 minimum seems appropriate, but as someone who volunteers at an animal shelter, I can tell you that any amount would be appreciated and put to good use.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008 - your heart is in the right place! When i have adopted, I've usually given an extra $100 on top of the adoption fee.

If the shelter has a website, they sometimes list items they would like donated, like old towels, paper towels, laundry detergent, food, etc., or give them a call. You could donate items in addition to or in lieu of cash.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1461334924|4022422 said:
The "right" thing to do would be to give what you can afford. If your budget allows, a donation of about $50 minimum seems appropriate, but as someone who volunteers at an animal shelter, I can tell you that any amount would be appreciated and put to good use.

I totally agree.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I adopted my pup after her career was over, her fee was 200 dollars. That paid for vet care, food, and shelter. This particular shelter will not release a dog that hasn't been spayed or neutered, and they also have their teeth checked and cleaned (very important for greys coming off the track) Aside from that first fee, I donate throughout the year to them either in food, cash, or whatever they may need. I won't go into how much I donate but they really do love and care about those dogs, and without them I would not have my heart.

I think each person has to decide whats "appropriate" for them in this case, and I don't doubt they would be glad for whatever you can give, be it cash, food, or items they use to help keep the place clean and comfortable.

Q

Queenie60

Glad you want to help this cat. Donate whatever your budget will allow. I have rescued a few abandoned cats this year and donated according to what I can afford. You have a big heart :angel:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much guys. I will feel more comfortable with whatever I decide but it helped to hear some #s.

I wrote via FB to one of the organizations that I've spoken with before and has a good reputation - I told her we'd be willing to help and make a donation. I hope they're able to help this cat.

As far as having a big heart you guys are too kind - trust me when I tell you it balances out my selfishness is so many other areas. I'm glad there's a least something I can contribute to in this world beyond caring just about me, you know?

Thank you all.

Q

Queenie60

CJ - if there were more people in the world like you, it would be a much better place. Helping animals and children is one of my passions. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results