shape
carat
color
clarity

appraising stones in tension setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turbop

Rough_Rock
What is the procedure for appraising a stone that will be put into a tension setting? Since the setting can only be done by the manufacturer, how do you assure someone doesn''t swap the diamond on its way to the manufacturer after the appraisal has been completed?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
If you are worried about it, you can always look at it with a loupe when you get it back to make sure the diamond matches the diagram on the grading report (for example, all the inclusions in the diamond match the marks on the diamond diagram, kind of like a diamond fingerprint). Having a diamond switched out during setting is very rare though, and if you are sending it to a reputable jeweler then I wouldn''t be too nervous.

*M*

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 1:33:34 PM
Author:turbop
how do you assure someone doesn''t swap the diamond on its way to the manufacturer after the appraisal has been completed?
By scheduling a 2nd appraisal appointment to check the stone against it''s EARLIER appraisal AFTER it comes back from being set.

You''ll probably need those pics etc - of the stone IN it''s setting - for insurence purposes anyway.
1.gif

turbop

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 1:41:53 PM
Author: decodelighted

By scheduling a 2nd appraisal appointment to check the stone against it''s EARLIER appraisal AFTER it comes back from being set.

You''ll probably need those pics etc - of the stone IN it''s setting - for insurence purposes anyway.
1.gif
Can I skip the 1st appraisal altogether and just do the appraisal with the stone in the setting? My only real purpose for appraisal is insurance. If I bought it online this would be my only option too right? How good of an appraisal can be done with the stone in the setting?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

If your only purpose is insurance, an inspection after the setting will work just fine. This is especially true if you buy from a dealer who supplies good initial paperwork that can be referenced in the final appraisal.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Folks...please be aware that "diamond switching" is extremely uncommon. The two bad guys that I have
heard about in my area were caught and prosecuted...but that''s only two cases that I''ve personally
known about in 27 years in the industry in a large metropolitan area. Our industry is built on trust and integrity.
Alot of "switching" stories are just based on second and third hand information. Experts on this forum would
likely agree with me. If you''re hesitant to have work done, check with the BBB or chamber of commerce in your area.
Ask a satisfied friend or family member for a recommendation of a trusted jeweler. This is just general advice for all consumers.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results