shape
carat
color
clarity

appraising a diamond to be sold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzielizzie

Rough_Rock
I still have my old diamond engagement ring from a broken engagement, and I am contemplating selling it. I have several questions.

The stone has a GIA number associated with it, but I do not have the report. Can I easily obtain one?

Even if I can obtain the GIA report, how reliable is it? The stone was purchased in 1998 so the report is at least 4 years old, and the stone has been set and the ring worn for a year. Would I need a new GIA report, or would confirmation from someone certified saying that the report is still valid be enough?

Thanks for your help!

-- Liz --

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Unless you're really bothered about it, I think the old report would be fine. Just have somebody check to see that there's been no nicks or chips since the report, which is pretty unlikely.

You can call the GIA and ask them to re-issue you a report. While you're at it, ask them what's involved in cost, etc in getting a updated report. If it's not too much then you might exercise that option.

I'm not sure if the public is able to get reports from the GIA. For a long time they weren't able to, but then I seem to remember somebody saying that now they could.

If you hit a stonewall, just email me with the particulars, and I'll get it for you.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I don't know how easily you can get a duplice from the GIA lab. GIA works with the consumer too. Usually a 4 years report is still acceptable, but you could ask for an update-- they will print a new cert with a new number and date with the old data... Try to call them to find out more infos!!

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results