shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone watch "Rich Bride, Poor Bride"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
First time I saw this show last nite. I got bored with it. I couldn''t believe the groom, who didn''t have a job and was totally fixated on having a medieval wedding (he wanted to wear armour instead of a tux). He had no concept of what things cost and how to make a budget. He refused to get a job that was ''beneath him'' and instead just wanted to charge everything on his credit card. Meanwhile, the bride kept forcing him to do what she wanted by saying she was paying for it. She didn''t want to let him have any say whatsoever in the wedding planning, she just wanted him to do whatever she liked. Unreal.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
That is sad. The wedding is an interesting first step in your marital relationship. It shows a lot of your partnership... respect, trust.

Two biggest stressors in life, weddings and funerals.

I think they would do better to invest in some pre-marital counceling. As it sounds based on your description that they are not really in sync.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of it is exaggerated for tv. Either the couples are exaggerating their behavior, or they''re editing it to only include those moments. I know FI and I occasionally have a moment where he''ll say "What''s this $X for decorations in our budget? I thought the venue was including centerpieces."
me "For place cards and something to hold them. Maybe a candle or two."
him "Why do you need those? It''s too much money"
me "Do you want us to just call out where people are supposed to sit? We can pay a little bit to have some placecards printed."

I''m sure if you cut it down to only those conversations, we would look like the couples in the show, despite only having maybe 5-10 of those convos ever.

Gotta make the tv dramatic!
2.gif

I did think it was funny when the girl''s mom was adament about her renting a dress. I kept thinking "Do they even rent wedding dresses??" There are so many better ways to save money, but I''ve never heard anyone come up with renting. Hehe

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, they do rent dresses and many brides save money that way. They will adjust it to fit your size, it''s clean, and you won''t have to worry about what to do with it after the wedding. It''s perfect for brides on budget or people who don''t care about keeping it. I would have done it myself, but I accepted my mom''s offer to pay for it.

You''re right about the exaggeration though. FI and I could get so much money from the TV shows if we let them film our conversations.
3.gif

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 12:01:02 PM
Author:marchswallowbird
First time I saw this show last nite. I got bored with it. I couldn''t believe the groom, who didn''t have a job and was totally fixated on having a medieval wedding (he wanted to wear armour instead of a tux). He had no concept of what things cost and how to make a budget. He refused to get a job that was ''beneath him'' and instead just wanted to charge everything on his credit card. Meanwhile, the bride kept forcing him to do what she wanted by saying she was paying for it. She didn''t want to let him have any say whatsoever in the wedding planning, she just wanted him to do whatever she liked. Unreal.
Hey Marchswallowbird,

Guilty. I saw it too the other day, and was completely annoyed. Yes, the guy was a moron and I was totally wondering why in the H*LL she was marrying him. Not that I think its ok for her to keep reminding him that she was paying for everything either, but seriously, get a job already dude. I actually thought that was kinda funny when his mommy took him to get a job since he was such a bum.

On a lighter note, if you would have kept watching late last night, you would have also seen one where the bride was so cheap, instead of getting her hair done in the salon before the wedding she did a dye job at home with the literally cheapest dye she could find. The moron forgot to check the color though, b/c her hair turned out BLUE!
6.gif
I thought it was pretty hilarious since that''s what you get for being annoying cheap, and even her mom was making fun of her, lol.

Anywho, yes, some of those episodes are kinda funny and others I am just like, why...

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
The FUNNIEST part of it for me is that the show aired immediately after Platinum Weddings.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 3:30:59 PM
Author: choro72
Actually, they do rent dresses and many brides save money that way. They will adjust it to fit your size, it's clean, and you won't have to worry about what to do with it after the wedding. It's perfect for brides on budget or people who don't care about keeping it. I would have done it myself, but I accepted my mom's offer to pay for it.

You're right about the exaggeration though. FI and I could get so much money from the TV shows if we let them film our conversations.
3.gif
Really? I had no idea you could rent them!! Good thing FI didn't know about this before he agreed to let me spend more than originally planned on my dress
11.gif
Thanks for enlightening me
9.gif

brendaman

Shiny_Rock
I thought the series was interesting because you got to see in the end how much things costs. I even got FF to watch it and he''s began to realize how expensive receptions could be. The who is based in Canada, so I wonder the prices are probably lower (although for a while there, the Canadian $ was on par with the US$. haven''t check it recently though).

This show proved to me the value of a wedding planner. Definitely going to have one for my wedding. I''ve started to price them out and on the show, the usually are no more than a couple of thousand (Canadian $s). However, in the DC area, if you want them to do the whole entire holding your hand through the planning stages, it costs $7-8000 and that''s U.S. dollars! But for the Platinum Wedding, it''s probably more costly! For $2000, you would still need to do a lot of the legwork yourself, but they''ll meet with you periodically to keep you on track, look over every vendor contract with you, visit the final venue and the biggest thing is that they''ll be there for your day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results