shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Travelled To China Or Other Foreign Country?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I are going on vacation to China (Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong) in a couple of weeks. We booked this trip a long time ago and we almost cancelled due to recent problems. But things are better now and we really need this getaway so we decided we are going to go and have some fun! Anyway, we are hearing horror stories from his family members about how dangerous traveling there can be. These stories supposedly happened to people their distant relative or friend or coworker knew, and ranged from some poor lady''s finger being cut off for her diamond ring, another had her diamond studs literally torn from her earlobes, on and on and on. They told us we should wear no jewelry at all, not even our wedding bands. I know we should be mindful when we travel and not to wear flashy jewelry or clothing to draw attention to ourselves, and to not to carry a purse that can be snatched, carry id, money close to your body, a lot of common sense stuff, and I know my husband''s family mean well but I think it''s a bit much. Have any of you been to these cities in China? Is it any more dangerous than any other major city in the US? I was planning to wear my wedding band and my diamond eternity band, the tcw of both rings is probably 1.2 carats. Should I not wear them? I can''t imagine not wearing them for 2 weeks! My husband is extra cautious and don''t plan to wear his watch or wedding band (and he doesn''t even have a very nice watch!
14.gif
) He wants me to do the same. I want to ease him mind and just go along with it but I keep thinking, are a couple of wedding bands going to draw more attention to us that say, our camera or camcorder? Should we not bring those too? Where do you draw the line? What are your thoughts?

clammer

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I moved to China for his job. I haven''t been to Hong Kong, but I have been to Shanghai and Beijing. I have personally found it very safe. There is little violent crime here and I have never heard of it towards a foreigner. Not to say that it doesn’t happen, but I nor anyone I know has experienced it. There are pick pockets so watch your wallet and purse.

If you come with an open mind you should have fun. You are going to very modern places, but I would still bring tissue packets (non-touristy places don''t offer toilet paper) and also some purell as the cleanliness standards will not be what you are use to.

If you have any questions let me know we should be able to help you out.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for responding Rebot. So what do you think about me wearing my diamond bands? Will that draw much attention? How do the locals view jewelry?

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been to the southern chinese villages (not major cities) to visit relatives 16 years ago. We didn''t really need to worry about personal safety.

The thing that did concern us was health issues. Check with your doctor to see what vaccinations you should get - such as hepatitis. Whatever you do, go see your doctor now because some of these shots need to be taken over a series of time.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been to all three cities and I found all 3 to be safe. I would say safer than most US cities. There are almost no violent crimes. However, pick pocketing happens a lot, so keep your purses in front of you and don't leave anything in your back pockets. A lot of pick pockets are children of migrant workers, so if you see a random kid walking really close to you, watch out. Leave your passports in the hotel room safe. I think it's safe to wear your diamond band and for your husband to wear his watch. A lot women in the big cities wear diamond rings (though 1 ct and under are more common) and a lot of men own expensive watches. My cousin in Shanghai wears his Rolex daily and his wife her enagement ring and wedding band. They have never felt threatened. As for cameras and camcorder, definitely safe to bring those! Almost everyone owns one of those. I think it's even safe to wear your 2ct, but it's better that you leave it at home because you'll be walking around paranoid and won't have as much fun=)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''ll probably be fine with your diamond band, but personally it''s not worth the risk to me. I think a plain band would be fine. Ditto on the pick pocket thing. When I travel I wear my passport, money, and important documents in a special belt that goes under my pants. It works really well, and it''s not uncomfortable at all.

snapdragon

Rough_Rock
I''ve lived in Hong Kong for three years. It''s really very safe. You shouldn''t feel uncomfortable wearing any of your jewelry here. However, if you are planning to venture off the beaten track in mainland China, you may want to leave your rings behind.

You''re much more likely to get ripped off than robbed in China. When you get here you may be tempted to buy jewelry, rugs, antiques, etc. Certainly there are wonderful deals to be had but be careful who you buy from..and have a wonderful trip.

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think you should have a problem if you wear your bands. I’ve never had a problem and I wear my jewelry everywhere. I agree with CareBear and snapdragon, I feel much safer here than I did at home (suburb of Detroit).

Sparkster made an excellent point. The health standards are lower here. You said that you are coming in a couple of weeks so if you didn’t get vaccinations you probably won’t have time, but obviously use common sense. Don’t eat from street vendors if you’re not vaccinated for hepatitis, etc… I don’t eat from them unless I’m with a Chinese person and I am vaccinated.

Another thing… both Beijing and Shanghai have magazines called That’s Shanghai/Beijing. You may want to pick them up. They have listings of events, restaurants, shopping, etc… It is free at anyplace that advertises in the magazine so just ask around. The magazine is geared to foreigners so you will have to find the local stuff on your own, but it’s not hard you just have to walk around.

Also, when you leave your hotel ask for a business card when you go out. This will have the address of the hotel written in both Chinese and English and also some of the more popular places to visit. This is helpful since the taxi drivers typically don’t speak any English.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to sound so negative in contrast to the other posts here but I would listen to the advice of your relatives. I come from the Far East myself and travel back reasonably frequently. It isn''t as safe as it used to be and stories of snatch thieves and violent robberies/mugging are in the local newspapers daily (which tourists never read or at least can''t read the local language).

When I go home, I no longer wear any jewelry except for a necklace hidden under my shirt and a super cheap watch. Not even a wedding band. The camera goes into my backpack so it wouldn''t be obvious. I wear cheap clothes and try to blend in but somehow even the locals can tell I''m not really "local" anymore. So if even the locals can tell that I''m a tourist, then the would-be-muggers can definitely tell at a glance that here''s a potential victim. I also try to only go out with my relatives because it is safer. They know the places to avoid.

My husband nearly got mugged while waiting for me to return from the ladies'' bathroom. Luckily, he bluffed his way out saying he knew martial arts. And this was at a public bus station! It was never this bad in the past: never even heard of it. But when the Far East economy crashed and never really fully recovered, there are more of these types of incidences.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was in Beijing last May. I was with a group of international business people and we were at a conference that involved high profile guest speakers and some touring in groups. While I did not find the city unsafe, I was usually in a group with local guides and liasons. I did find the air quality to be not as good as I am used to (pollution) and the food did not agree with me. As a blonde, I also garnered a lot of attention when we went out to Tianamen or the Forbidden City. Thoug we were not specifically told not to wear jewelry, I left my stuff at home. A lot of the foreign people on our trip (non Americans) however did have lots of jewels on, especially the South American and Middle Eastern women. It seemed fine, but again, we were in groups and were rarely just out and about on our own. We stayed at the China World Hotel, which was nice, and had a large underground shopping arcade and convention center attached. Traffic can be tough, and I would bring some granola bars and stuff because I had trouble with the food and ended up eating candy bars from the the mini bar! I have heard Shangai is great, a lot like Hong Kong! Have fun, BARGAIN like crazy, they like it, and go to the jewelry markets and get fun stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we were in China for two weeks, we were with a group most of the time, which felt safer. But I did not take any valuable jewelry. I wore my wedding band and left the e-ring at home. I wore something like small sterling hoops for earrings and I don''t wear a high dollar watch anyway. If I had a blingy diamond wedding band, I''d just buy a sterling one from Walmart or somewhere to wear on a trip like this. I just don''t think it''s worth the risk to my safety to wear diamonds.

Oh, and the biggest risk for theft is an American passport. They sell for large amounts of money, so wear it under your clothes and not in a pocket or purse. I used one of those zipper travel bags you wear around your neck and wore it under my shirt. We also carried cash in a belt bag under clothes.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We are leaving at the end of the month for a cruise to Japan and China that includes those three cities. I am not overly concerned about theft any more than I would be in an American city. I think that whenever you travel you just need to use common sense. I wouldn''t wear really big flashy jewelry and I would be especially careful about handbags and cameras. I am taking my jewelry to wear to dinner on the cruise ship, but will probably leave most of it in the safe when we are off on tours.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
You probably need to worry more about purse snatcher than jewelry theft. It''s just much easier for them to snatch the purse then run. They wouldn''t really want to have to comfront you and steal your jewelry. If you are still worried, then you should leave your big jewelry at home and just wear the wedding band. Make sure you hold your purse in front of your body when you can keep an constant eye on it because sometimes they don''t snatch your purse but they will cut your purse with a blade and just take your wallet and whatever else is valuable. With that said, those three cities are fairly safe, so don''t worry too much and have a fun trip.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/22/2006 8:09:09 AM
Author: Chrono
I hate to sound so negative in contrast to the other posts here but I would listen to the advice of your relatives. I come from the Far East myself and travel back reasonably frequently. It isn't as safe as it used to be and stories of snatch thieves and violent robberies/mugging are in the local newspapers daily (which tourists never read or at least can't read the local language).

When I go home, I no longer wear any jewelry except for a necklace hidden under my shirt and a super cheap watch. Not even a wedding band. The camera goes into my backpack so it wouldn't be obvious. I wear cheap clothes and try to blend in but somehow even the locals can tell I'm not really 'local' anymore. So if even the locals can tell that I'm a tourist, then the would-be-muggers can definitely tell at a glance that here's a potential victim. I also try to only go out with my relatives because it is safer. They know the places to avoid.

My husband nearly got mugged while waiting for me to return from the ladies' bathroom. Luckily, he bluffed his way out saying he knew martial arts. And this was at a public bus station! It was never this bad in the past: never even heard of it. But when the Far East economy crashed and never really fully recovered, there are more of these types of incidences.

And which Far East country was this? There's a huge difference btw Japan and Indonesia for example.

Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong are fine. Just use some common sense and basic precautions and you should be fine. Do you really need to wear all your flashy jewelry? If not, leave it at home or in a safe deposit box. If you don't attract unnecessary attention to yourself, you can eliminate some of the threats. I'd ditch the diamond bracelet as an unnecessary risk and hassle (taking it off for airport security, getting it damaged over there, etc).

Rings and watches are fine. If you think you're in a sketchy area, just turn your ring around. All 3 are among the richest cities in China. Actually, they prolly are the top 3 richest cities in China. As long as you stick to the touristy areas, I really doubt you'll have to worry about getting mugged. Just keep a good grip on your purse as purse snatcher (or camera bag) is likely the worst thing you'll face.

I guess getting ripped off falls into the criminal worry part. I dunno. Unless you have no experience with Asian shopping before, you know that fakes abound. So, if you stick with the old "if it's too good to be true..." saying, you should be fine. Many people intentionally buy the fakes. Plus, they know to bargain. With that in mind, it's hard to be totally ripped off.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
While I doubt you will have any trouble, I think it is wiser to leave flashy jewels at home when you travel. Even within a safe city, you might accidently find yourself in a bad neighborhood, especially since you don''t know your way around.

Definitely depends where in Asia. In Japan I would wear anything, almost anywhere. When I visited Manila, I left my Cartier watch at home and wore a little plastic ten dollar job. I did take some pearls and some gold, for parties, but wore nothing on the street. Many foreigners I met there did the same thing. It was interesting cause there were armed guards and a metal detector at the entrance to my hotel.

Low profile is wisest choice, IMO.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. We will be going with a tour for the first week and then meet up with family, who are flying in from the US mainland, in Hong Kong. My husband speaks Cantonese quite fluently, very little Mandarin although he certainly speaks it with an american accent! I can understand some Cantonese and Mandarin but I speak it so poorly, it''s embarressing! So the locals will definitely know we''re tourists! I can read quite a bit of the Chinese characters so that''ll helpful to read road signs, and whatnot, thanks to all the Chinese classes I''ve taken in the past. Some of the people we''re meeting up with in Hong Kong speak Cantonese fluently and know Hong Kong very well so I don''t have to worry. I have never bargained before so that will be very interesting. I have no intentions of wearing any jewelry other than my diamond wedding bands. It''s funny how as soon as my husband''s older relatives heard we are going, they all look at me and started lecturing me to not travel with any jewelry, rather aggressively too. I know they are worried but wow were they forceful!
23.gif
Anyway, I bought a bag with a strap that goes across my body for the trip. I plan to put only my necessities in it and my husband will carry the cash and ids in a small pouch that he can wear under his shirt. We''ll leave our passports in the hotel safe.

Date: 9/22/2006 8:09:09 AM
Author: Chrono
I hate to sound so negative in contrast to the other posts here but I would listen to the advice of your relatives. I come from the Far East myself and travel back reasonably frequently. It isn''t as safe as it used to be and stories of snatch thieves and violent robberies/mugging are in the local newspapers daily (which tourists never read or at least can''t read the local language).

When I go home, I no longer wear any jewelry except for a necklace hidden under my shirt and a super cheap watch. Not even a wedding band. The camera goes into my backpack so it wouldn''t be obvious. I wear cheap clothes and try to blend in but somehow even the locals can tell I''m not really ''local'' anymore. So if even the locals can tell that I''m a tourist, then the would-be-muggers can definitely tell at a glance that here''s a potential victim. I also try to only go out with my relatives because it is safer. They know the places to avoid.

My husband nearly got mugged while waiting for me to return from the ladies'' bathroom. Luckily, he bluffed his way out saying he knew martial arts. And this was at a public bus station! It was never this bad in the past: never even heard of it. But when the Far East economy crashed and never really fully recovered, there are more of these types of incidences.
Chrono, that is scarey! My husband has a black belt but in certain dangerous situations I doubt that would matter much. What cities are you refering to?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Just be low profile and you'll be fine. And you can be assured that they'll be able to spot you as a tourist from your dress. You won't even have to open your mouth. Your older relatives sound like they haven't been back in decades and have just heard urban legends that they're passing on to you. Read your post again. From a "distant relative", from a "friend", etc. Classic start to an urban legend. Not to say such a thing couldn't happen, but you certainly have to take it with a grain of salt. Typical overreaction about safety from concerned adults.

Same goes for Chrono's story. I'm sure it prolly happened, but I highly doubt it was in any of the 3 cities you mentioned. The "bluffed cuz he knew martial arts" part is what sounds odd to me. If it was actually a mugging instead of a strong pan handler or a joke, I'd bet it happened in a place like Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, or maybe Thailand rather than Japan, Korea, or China.

Hong Kong is the safest and it sounds like you'll be on a tour in Shanghai and Beijing. If that's the case, you're totally fine. Most locals in HK speak enough English for you to get by without any Chinese (it is a former British colony). But, you speak Cantonese so it's not even an issue. English and slurred Cantonese is enough to get by in Shanghai and Beijing. I'm like your husband, cept my Cantonese has a horrible American accent (with the occasional grammar mixup thrown in). I wandered Shanghai just fine.

Don't worry and just have fun. Oh, and post pics when you get back.

Be careful with cars and stuff tho. I noticed in China that despite how pretty and new things are, they've still got the mentality that life is cheap. You'll prolly get a shock to your Westernized sense of decency and personal space as well.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Oh they will spot you. I was born in Hong Kong and immigrate to US when I was 11. I can speak perfect Cantonese and they still treat me like a tourist in Hong Kong (well at least at the tourist locations).

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
Hi Leila,

I travel quite a bit to HK and am totally fine with wearing jewelry and a watch - I usually have my ering, an eternity band, a tennis bracelet, some kind of earrings, sometimes my Tahitian pearl necklace, and a Birkin bag. The city is quite blingy, actually. I am alone a lot of times when I am there but I also tend not to stray too much off the beaten track. Also, when I am in HK I''m usually there when the weather''s cooler, so I can turn my rings around and tuck my watch and bracelet into my shirtsleeves.

I think your jewelry in Beijing and Shanghai should be fine, but I would be very careful in rural areas. And yes, watch out for pickpockets!!

Enjoy!

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
Have a great holiday and don''t forget to check out the jewellery stores in Hong Kong. Talk about major bling!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I never bring anything to a foreign country that I could not stand to lose. It''s not necessarily more dangerous than the US--but YOU are more disoriented and don''t know the cultural signs for when an area is a little sketchy.

That''s what we were told at my Fulbright orientation, and I pretty much agree with it.

For a yr in Morocco I brought my wb,simple watch and some inexpensive earrings. I don''t know a lot about China.

elle

Shiny_Rock
Ita w/ most that it''s alot safer than most given perceptions - we lived in China for 4 years - only had our camera stolen at the zoo cos I was a dork and had put it on my stroller! Petty theft is the main annoyance so keep your wallet, travel docs secured. Most everyone I knew had lots of bling out daily and BOUGHT alot there too. Like Fanghua on the 4th floor of the pearl market in Beijing. Her stuff is tdf! You can get alot of made to meaure stuff for next to nothing there too and quick. Have a great trip.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies, advices. I'm so excited about our trip! We'll be leaving in about a week. Codex, I will definitely post pics when I get back.

Elle, thanks for suggestion about the pearls. It's good to know a legit place to go for jewelry. I hope we'll be able to go there and check it out. I am leary of purchasing jewelry abroad. I just can't help but wonder, how do you know you're getting the real deal? We're also stopping by Hangzhou and Suzhou. Has anyone been there?

ETA: Sundial, have fun on your trip!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2006 11:20:48 PM
Author: Leila
Thanks for all the replies, advices. I'm so excited about our trip! We'll be leaving in about a week. Codex, I will definitely post pics when I get back.

Elle, thanks for suggestion about the pearls. It's good to know a legit place to go for jewelry. I hope we'll be able to go there and check it out. I am leary of purchasing jewelry abroad. I just can't help but wonder, how do you know you're getting the real deal? We're also stopping by Hangzhou and Suzhou. Has anyone been there?

ETA: Sundial, have fun on your trip!
I've been to both Hangzhou and Suzhou many years ago but I only remember Hangzhou. There is a beautiful lake in the middle of the city. Make e sure you take a boat ride on the lake! Will you be in China the first week of Oct? I believe that week is a national holiday week. A lot of locals also travel around China that week so the touristy spots might be a little busy and some shops might be closed. Shouldn't really affect your trip though. Have a great trip and don't forget to update us when you come back!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also bought from Sharon''s Pearls in the Xuang Cho (spelling?) market. The group we were with had many people in Beijing suss out the vendors that they felt were fair and had great stuff. I got my south sea pearls and some other stuff from them. they are on the very top floor of the market. just remember to bargain, I was told that if they start at 100 yuen they EXPECT to end up with you paying 25!!!! I could not believe it, was so tough for me to negotiate. I always felt too guilty but I was told that is part of the fun for them too!

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t read all the responses (so forgive me if I repeat anything), but I was in China just last month with my fiance for 3 weeks. We went to Shanghai, Nanjing and Hong Kong. I brought my ring with me because I knew that my grandparents and other relatives would like to see it, given that we just got engaged a few months ago. As it turned out, I wore my ring a total of 3 times (to each of the dinners with relatives) and the remainder of the time, it stayed in the safe in the hotel. First, it was just way too hot to wear it. You are constantly sweaty so no jewelry would have looked nice. Also, we didn''t want to get jipped by taxi drivers and stores anymore than we already were. I wished I had left my ring at home so I wouldn''t have to worry about whether every hotel had a safe. Just too much hassle.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 2:41:06 AM
Author: CareBear
I''ve been to both Hangzhou and Suzhou many years ago but I only remember Hangzhou. There is a beautiful lake in the middle of the city. Make e sure you take a boat ride on the lake! Will you be in China the first week of Oct? I believe that week is a national holiday week. A lot of locals also travel around China that week so the touristy spots might be a little busy and some shops might be closed. Shouldn''t really affect your trip though. Have a great trip and don''t forget to update us when you come back!
Hi Carebear! We heard that Hangzhou is like China''s version of Venice. We are leaving this weekend and will be in China for a week then fly to Hong Kong to meet up with family. We will also be going to Macau at the end of the 2nd week. We heard about the holiday and also about the many conventions going on in HK at that time so hotels are pricier. Thank you for all your tips, and I will definitely share pics and let you know how the trip went! I''m beyond excited, my very first international trip! My passport will get its very first stamp!
9.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 2:44:27 AM
Author: diamondfan
I also bought from Sharon''s Pearls in the Xuang Cho (spelling?) market. The group we were with had many people in Beijing suss out the vendors that they felt were fair and had great stuff. I got my south sea pearls and some other stuff from them. they are on the very top floor of the market. just remember to bargain, I was told that if they start at 100 yuen they EXPECT to end up with you paying 25!!!! I could not believe it, was so tough for me to negotiate. I always felt too guilty but I was told that is part of the fun for them too!
Thanks for the suggestion Diamondfan! I can''t believe how low you can go with bargaining. They really hike up prices for tourists! I''ve never bargained before, this will get very interesting. I hope I don''t get ripped off. Fortunately I always get in a weird, seriously frugal mode when shopping on vacation. I question everything and get very picky and if I can''t decide quickly, I just walk away. Maybe that''ll frustrate the local vendors in China-- I can use it as my bargaining technique!
2.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/26/2006 9:51:26 AM
Author: eleguin
I haven''t read all the responses (so forgive me if I repeat anything), but I was in China just last month with my fiance for 3 weeks. We went to Shanghai, Nanjing and Hong Kong. I brought my ring with me because I knew that my grandparents and other relatives would like to see it, given that we just got engaged a few months ago. As it turned out, I wore my ring a total of 3 times (to each of the dinners with relatives) and the remainder of the time, it stayed in the safe in the hotel. First, it was just way too hot to wear it. You are constantly sweaty so no jewelry would have looked nice. Also, we didn''t want to get jipped by taxi drivers and stores anymore than we already were. I wished I had left my ring at home so I wouldn''t have to worry about whether every hotel had a safe. Just too much hassle.
Eleguin, I recognize your fab ering but I don''t know if I''ve told you before but congratulations on your engagement!
36.gif
I am seriously going to miss wearing my jewelry but I am going to play it safe and keep it minimal. I am just going to wear 2 eternity diamond bands, they have really small 2 pointers, and these diamond studs (0.2ctw) my mom gave me when I was a teenager. That''s it. I hope it won''t be hot when we are there, but any place will be cooler than Hawaii, I think.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2006 5:39:56 PM
Author: Leila

Thanks for the suggestion Diamondfan! I can''t believe how low you can go with bargaining. They really hike up prices for tourists! I''ve never bargained before, this will get very interesting. I hope I don''t get ripped off. Fortunately I always get in a weird, seriously frugal mode when shopping on vacation. I question everything and get very picky and if I can''t decide quickly, I just walk away. Maybe that''ll frustrate the local vendors in China-- I can use it as my bargaining technique!
2.gif

Depending on what it is, it''s not unreasonable to ask for 10% and work your way up. Some might get offended, but it''s not a big deal. You''re a tourist. You can always play dumb. :) The thing to remember is, calculate it into US dollars. You''re likely going to be getting a deal anyways. Don''t stress too much about getting the lowest price. Just that if it sounds too expensive in US dollars, it prolly is.

Being picky and walking away are actually the most effective bargaining techniques. You point out flaws or reasons why you don''t like that particular object. The vendor thus is under pressure to show why you do want it, and usually their only recourse is to lower the price. When you end up at the point where the vendor is hesitating on your price, that''s when you walk away. They usually chase you if it''s close to what they can live with. Depending on how badly you want something, that usually dictates how fast you walk away. If you walk slow, it gives them more time to think and then catch you to agree to your price.
11.gif

However, when shopping, try not to buy an item at the first shop you see. They usually all sell the same stuff. The vendors at the end furthest from the entrance are almost always cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results