color
clarity

Anyone ride/own an electric bike?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Update...
While I was planning to get to Brooklyn to ride this
The Rad people ended up calling during this time.....so I ended up ordering this...
Hopefully it will arrive next week.....I'll report back....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update...
While I was planning to get to Brooklyn to ride this
The Rad people ended up calling during this time.....so I ended up ordering this...
Hopefully it will arrive next week.....I'll report back....

OK but how are you going to keep your kids from making it "theirs" :lol:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Cool! Keen to see what you think. I think you’ll be loving the uphills, especially. :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats @Rockdiamond! An exciting new way to travel for you and I think you're gonna love it. As @SparklieBug wrote especially going up hills lol.
Just be safe and wear a helmet!

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Don’t forget to get insurance coverage...auto policy.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've only ever met one person who had one. Back when I was only 22, I used to run a pub and we had a seat by the bar that was virtually reserved by an 80 year old fella who would ride his bike every day to the pub. He'd have two beers while reading the newspaper, then ride home again.

Over time the hill up to the pub became harder and harder for him and we noticed he would get off his bike sooner and have to push it. Eventually his wife decided the best thing would be an electric tricycle that he could use to power up the hill. In the 12 months that he had it, his wife said his health had deteriorated because the electronic tricycle meant he no longer was exercising as much. I resigned from my position and not long after that I received the devastating phone call that he had passed away. I got a memorial badge made for his seat and sent it to the current pub owner to put on the wall where he used to sit, he was only happy to oblige.

As far as what it was like quality-wise and as a tool, for ten years ago it was absolutely brilliant. There was multiple carry baskets, enough to carry at least a carton of beer cans (very important here in Australia) and he had about 10 miles of electric range IIRC. I guess what I'm saying is that as a tool to cart stuff around locally it's fantastic, but let's make no mistakes here; it's not as good an exercise tool as a normal bike and you'll find yourself relying heavily on the electric motor.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
...but let's make no mistakes here; it's not as good an exercise tool as a normal bike and you'll find yourself relying heavily on the electric motor.

@jordyonbass I respectfully disagree with this point. :bigsmile: Perhaps you're referring to full-on electric bikes that are more like scooters, and if so, then I quite agree. Fully motorized "bikes" yield little exercise.

Recent studies have shown that pedal-assist e-bikes give a very similar rate of exercise to non-pedal-assist bikes. There was an article (that I would have to go track down) posted on pinkbike.com that detailed percentages of heart-rate from regular mtn. bike to pedal-assist e-bike. Surprisingly, the e-bike riders were at 96% of non-assisted riders' levels. I can attest to this!

When I ride, it's always with "the guys", as I don't have any female buddies who ride technical trails. When I was on my regular bike, they'd get a bit ahead of me and I'd end up pushing my bike up a couple of diabolical hills. When I ride my e-bike I keep it at 10% assist, and can ride up the stinkiest hills—it still takes effort, my heart/lungs get a great workout, as do my legs. When I shift back to a non-assist ride, I notice that I'm much stronger and can now even ride the diabolical stuff! :dance: But I love my Levo, and can't resist riding it. LOL!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@jordyonbass - I totally get your post.
When I say I've loved cycling my whole life, at one point, I was a pretty savage rider.
I completed a few century rides.
I used to ride in any temperature.
I remember when I was about 30, taking rides in weather so cold my water bottle was frozen solid by the time I got home.
And I've always been a "gear-head"- loving the machine
My Specialized is such a sick bike. I love it probably as much as some of our members love their rocks It weighs about 22 pounds with the rack. Which, for those unfamiliar, is unreasonably light for a mountain bike. The wheels...omg, they're so special for mountain bikes
1589229811642.png
The front wheels are single bladed spokes ( that means there's so few spokes, they don;t cross over one another) The rear spokes do cross one time- but that's still crazy. And I have "baldie" tires. Those big knobby things you see on the vast majority of mountain bikes ( and the one I have one the way) create a ton more friction with the road than tires with minimal tread. And I used to drive an M4...so, for a while I had 2 M4's. The other M4 had to go- at least we still have this one:)
My other main bike is a Greg Lemond- with a steel frame. Clipless pedals- a racing bike all the way.

Anyway- back to the point- Jordie- I really have put thought into the sentiment behind your post.
Will I sit on the thing and simply "throttle" to work?
In a worst case scenrio on this point- say I never pedal, it's still way more excercise than driving.
I don't even know if I will love to ride the thing! It's so different in terms of geometry, wheel size, even the seat.
In my book, "real" bikers ride hard leather seats. Extremely minimal padding, if any.

I'm more concerned about my kids.
How can I get them to do tough rides unassisted, while sitting on a battery powered bike.....

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
My Specialized is such a sick bike. I love it probably as much as some of our members love their rocks It weighs about 22 pounds with the rack.

LOL! @Rockdiamond This truly is sick! Twenty-two pounds would be pretty good for an average roadie bike! My Levo weighs in around 40 pounds. DH has put lighter wheels, seat post, seat, etc., on it, however, it's still a beast. LOL!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So true @SparklieBug
I'm preparing myself for a totally different way of looking at biking.
It might actually feel cool riding a heavier bike if it's assisted.
My main concern with weight is things like there are a few places on the ride that requires walking up and down a few flights of stairs.
The Radrunner folks told me it weighs 60 pounds.....
But there is a walking mode- maybe I can use it on stairs.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
But there is a walking mode- maybe I can use it on stairs.

@Rockdiamond The walk-assist mode on my bike is cool. We have a long flight of stairs to get out of our back yard. Having the bike "walk itself" up the stairs is pretty coolio! When the battery's turned on, its default is the turbo setting. Which means that the bike is keen to race up the stairs, LOL! More than once I've had the sensation of laying rubber going up the stairs. Literally, the back wheel spins and puts a wee track of rubber on the edge of the stair tread. Makes me laugh, every time. :bigsmile:

If you have some stairs to go up, having an assist will be a treat for you!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She arrived!!!!
First impressions- a hoot to ride.
BUt slower than I want to go...once it hits 20, it just won't go any faster. And she weighs a ton, so pedaling unassisted is not fun.....
I guess it's a good thing in a way because this is not going to get me to give up riding my Specialized.

I rode to the office today.....mostly very cool....however there's a bunch of stairs.. and it won't "walk" them. It really does weigh a ton......
Radmini4.jpg radmini2.jpg radmini1.jpg

Attachments

• Radmini3.jpg
    Radmini3.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 34

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it was a gorgeous day for an inaugural ride! Now that you’ve had a few more rides, what do you think of it? Does it walk up stairs, now?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
54195402-3663-495E-ADB6-FC4E8D09A124.jpeg
Looks like it was a gorgeous day for an inaugural ride! Now that you’ve had a few more rides, what do you think of it? Does it walk up stairs, now?
I’m loving it!!! Already put over 100 miles on her.
Stairs- no thank you!!
I can ride on the street for a few miles and avoid the stairs.
I tool this pic yesterday. There’s quite an extensive trail network near me. She’s great in the woods too.
Of course now we need more of them so we can ride as a family.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

Stairs- no thank you!!
I tool this pic yesterday. There’s quite an extensive trail network near me. She’s great in the woods too.

Awesome! So glad you’re loving it on the trails, too! I adore riding mine on trails. I rarely ride it on the street—that’s for the regular bike.

It’s super fun to have everyone with one! My DH is thrilled with his, too.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stairs- no thank you!!

Yay! Ride her in good health and happiness. And yassssss bling bag. ❤️

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While recently in Banff--we rented e-bikes (need e bikes in the mountains!!). Brand Cube. Really enjoyed the ride and I've changed my mind about e-bikes (pride and prejudice LOL). Fast and not terribly noisy. Great fun!

cheers--Sharon

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ZI'm close to 2000 miles on the odometer at this point....still deeply in love....
( and I've also had 4 flats over this period...argh!!)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! That's a lotta mileage, @Rockdiamond ! Will you ride in the winter, too?

It would be awesome to have an e-fat bike! :razz:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Rockdiamond So glad to read you're loving your e-bike! My husband has been a fan for a few years, and we now have a few, both foldables and regular size. They make getting around Brooklyn & Manhattan so easy! He's also built 2 for friends. We also love to do e-bike tours when we travel, and went on a great day tour in Rome in February. So lovely to be able to zip up the many hills without being completely exhausted.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond ans anyone else who’s interested. Look at what Costco has now. And what a reasonable price. What doesn’t Costco have?
Folding to boot!

EA1282B4-CDBB-440D-9549-A37382E921DA.jpeg

94B605EF-626B-4FDC-A64F-F7C9FD7DF8DE.jpeg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Me no like:)
Looks ..... not suitable for large size butts:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me no like:)
Looks ..... not suitable for large size butts:)

Actually in person it looked suitable for many different butt sizes...but as with everything YMMV

:lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I should re-phrase..the seat looks.....yes, able to handle buttapalooza sized cheecks....it's the rest of the bike that makes me go....hmmmmmmm

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know know whether I'd want to sit on that seat.

I don't want to be electrocuted in my special NoNo place! :shock:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should re-phrase..the seat looks.....yes, able to handle buttapalooza sized cheecks....it's the rest of the bike that makes me go....hmmmmmmm

I am not a fan of folding bikes in general. I have to agree it doesn't look to be extra sturdy. I was amazed at the price though...I didn't know you could get an electric bike at that price. Of course you get what you pay for most of the time...:wink2:

I know know whether I'd want to sit on that seat.

I don't want to be electrocuted in my special NoNo place! :shock:

None of us would want that to happen to you @kenny :errrr:

Um, why does it look like one of those knee scooters or whatchamacallits?

Haha IDK. Which whatchamacallits are you referring to? :lol:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not a fan of folding bikes in general. I have to agree it doesn't look to be extra sturdy. I was amazed at the price though...I didn't know you could get an electric bike at that price. Of course you get what you pay for most of the time...:wink2:

Actually my RadMiniis a folding bike. Unfortunately I’ve been able to test it’s strength.... it’s built like a brick $hitouse

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results