shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone not wear a wedding band?

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I'm still not engaged but SO has had the ring for a month! :twisted: but I'm pretty sure it's a halo and I'm debating just wearing the engagement ring as my ring. I'm pretty sure I'd still look "taken" ;-). Anyone else only wear their engagement ring? I just haven't been too excited about any of the bands with the halos I've seen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should do whatever you want.

How many others do the same does not matter.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Kenny is right you should do what you want. I do not wear a wedding band either. I have a pave shank and there are several options for me but I haven't loved any of them either. I also know that my current setting isn't my forever setting so I decided that it didn't make sense for us to spend thousands on a band that may or may work with my future reset. Nobody has even thought I was anything but married in fact the only person to have ever mentioned it me was DH. :))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny|1335325332|3180013 said:

You know, I've observed that it matters a great deal to some folks. People vary. ;))

I often wear only one ring, and that's been fine for me. I like my plain solitaire engagement ring as a stand alone ring, I think it's really pretty like that. I'm shallow enough for 'pretty' to be the start and finish of my interest there. :D

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree! Sometimes more is just...more! I found that every band that I've liked and tried with my e-ring has competed with my center stone. I'm in the middle of an upgrade now and maybe with a larger and different shaped stone I'll feel differently. After I posted I thought that I should mention that sometimes I do miss not having a wedding ring though, and if I found one that a truly loved I would wear it. I look at some of the eternities that other PSers have and drool! :love: And I have considered buying a 5 stone or 7 stone wedder and wearing it on my right hand.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not planning to, at least for a while. I love love LOVE my e-ring, but I don't love the matching band with it. But when we picked out the e-ring, the ONE thing the sales guy was a little pushy on was just getting the matching band, because I had made some customizations to the setting and he said that there was a chance they would be less matchy if they were made at different times, and my fiance was REALLY INTO the idea of the matching band from the beginning. I wasn't sure what I wanted because I hadn't thought that far (I'd just thought about the engagement ring!) so I just said sure.

It turns out that I don't like them all that much together. I like the band as a standalone, and plan on wearing it at times when I can't/shouldn't wear my e-ring for whatever reason, or if I just feel like a band, but I don't feel it looks fantastic with my e-ring. The band is three-sided pave, exactly like the shank of my e-ring, and it's just too much when they're worn together. I'd rather have a plain band (I'm not sure whether rounded or knife-edge) or a bezel-set band with milgraining.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think now-a-days anything goes. Once you get your ring, try some bands with it and if you can't find anything just wear the e-ring. I have a few friends who don't wear a band because they couldn't find one that looked good with their e-ring.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. I have two wedding bands...channel set eternity and a plain knife edge that matches my solitaire. I like having bands to wear if I don't want to wear my e-ring for whatever reason...I do feel kind of naked without something on that finger.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think almost every woman on here has asked a variant of this at one point or another! When we love our e-rings, we get used to them being the stars of the show, and it can be tough to share the spotlight ....

Personally, I came to sort of dislike the idea of choosing the wedding band to fit the engagement ring - they have their own significance each! And a lot of the bands that enhance the looks of e-rings tend to be delicate, stay-in-the-background sorts of things (not very "me" at all, I'm afraid). So I said screw it, and got a band that didn't go with my e-ring at all (e-ring: carat and a half in fishtail prongs with baguette sides, very 1950s retro: wedding band, a 3 mm platinum etoile band). I wore them together for the first year, started acquiring anniversary bands ... and now I mix and match. Some days I wear them on separate hands, and otherwise thick bands get stacked with the wedding band to decorate it, thin bands go with the e-ring to decorate it, and everybody is happy. :rodent:

Seeing this in writing, I'm realizing I'm a little OCD about these things .... :lol:

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear my wedding band now that I have a 5 stone ring. It's my engagement / wedding / eternity ring combined and I like that it's a little different to the norm. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that some styles of engagement rings lend themselves more to being a standalone wedding ring that others. A five stone band, wider bands, split shanks, etc. work well as standalone. But I personally think that thin shanked e-rings look like an engagement ring and need a thin wedding band at least. The easiest solution is to have the wedding band made to exactly match the shank of the engagement ring, and then it will not take away from it. Many here will tell you that there are times they don't want to wear their engagement ring and it is nice to have the wedding band to stack with another band or two to wear as an alternative.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I think my concern is sharing the spotlight! :lol: I don't want them to compete with each other or take away from the engagement ring.

aggie10

Rough_Rock
I don't have one yet, but I don't plan to add a wedding band. With some styles it just doesn't look right. I think what we might do is to get the e-ring engraved (a little note plus the the wedding date) and present that at the wedding so that it's not exactly "welp, here's your same old ring back"

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I flip around. I have my ering, and now that I've added my lovely 1/2 eternity, I was wearing my grandmothers WB as a spacer or altered with my original WB as one.

Then I wear just 1... or nothing... or ... so, there's no rigid rhyme or reason to my ring wearing routine.

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone else - pretty much anything goes and you should do what you want :) I also agree with you though, I personally don't like the look of stacking rings together in most cases. Clean focal points and unlcuttered elements appeal to me visually, not just in rings/jewelry but in pretty much everything - art, photography, design, etc. Halos, anniversary bands, etc. on the same finger - it's too much for me too, and I think one ring is enough to say "taken". However, from looking at PS, I see this thinking is definitely in the minority :) Good luck deciding, I think you should do what appeals to you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if the e-ring has a thin shank, a thin plain band looks really nice alongside it and makes the stone "pop" a little.

That said, there is certainly nothing wrong with wearing just the e-ring if that's how you prefer it! Just try on different bands once you get your ring and see what you think. I'm hoping you don't have to wait much longer!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear one - I love my "big rocks", and I don't want anything to compete with them or to scratch the band or block my view of the settings' profiles. :naughty:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to always wear a wedding band with my old set (more bling!), but my new three stone ring looks good alone and I actually think a band takes away from it. What I might do is just buy a plain 2mm band because I do still like having a band to signify I'm married and not just engaged. But we'll see.

If you think your ring looks best alone, then wear it alone...you will still look 'taken' like you said. ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1335340980|3180115 said:
kenny|1335325332|3180013 said:

You know, I've observed that it matters a great deal to some folks. People vary.

So if she wants to do what pleases others she IS pleasing herself by doing so.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
IMO it depends on the ring (regarding to taking the spotlight away from your ering), your comfort, personal preference, etc... I don't wear one because my style of ring is kind of a stand alone. I think a band put next to it would just look like I am piling stuff on. I have seen some really pretty combos here on PS though.
And I agree with the others. Anything goes! These days, people are just doing what makes them happy. I have never had anyone ask if I was only engaged because of the no band thing...

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My original ering and wband were soldered together and essentially looked like one ring. When I reset I did not feel the need for two rings because I had always felt like they were one. My new setting does not accommodate a wband. I have a plain 8 mm band that I wear when I want something less blingy, or if the occasion is not safe for pave. I have never been mistaken for not taken.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you have to wear a wedding band with your ering. As others said, it's up to you.

As someone else said, though, you may want a plain wedding band to wear after you're married for days when you don't want to wear your ering (camping, housework, whatever). You'll probably also want a ring for your husband to put on at the wedding ceremony.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results