shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone NOT live with their SO?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
FI and I were living together and as of last week, we will both be moving back in with our parents (kinda long story but here''s the thread if anyone is interested: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/never-thought-this-would-be-happening.90438/ )

I feel that we rushed moving in together and I regretted it. We are very much in love and will be getting married, but I just wish the path to this point had been different. I now realize that we could have saved a TON of money if we had chosen to stay living at home a while longer, or moved into more modest situations by ourselves first. I also felt that FI didn''t have any time to really grow up and be independent and responsible before moving in with me. There was a period where I felt like I just replaced his mom in many ways (cleaning and bills and food etc....). The decision to move in together was also initially made for the wrong reasons. We were dating for over a year and both still living at home but having regular sleepovers. My parents finally said that they felt we should get our own place if that''s how we wanted to be (I totally agreed with them), and that they really didn''t want the sleepover thing to be happening anymore. We ended up moving in together because we were still totally in the honeymoon phase and couldn''t imagine being apart.

Now looking back it seems crazy that we''ll be living back at home after all these years, and it proves my point that if we had stayed at home longer we might still be in a place of our own now (without roommates too!) rather than going backwards. I think it will all work out in the end, and I think we will both enjoy this bit of independence before getting married.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif

IndyGal I should have taken out those family jewels. Hah! JK, he''s a decent guy (besides the previously stated problem), we just weren''t meant to be. I think he''s been dating a girl since he and I broke up-about 4-5 years? Between what I mentioned earlier, and the talk he had started about dismantling his grandfather''s giant bling ring (two rows of channel set diamonds in graduated sizes with about 4 carats of 10 or so diamonds in a HUGE yellow gold setting-his fingers were ENORMOUS-I think about a size 15 and probably weighed about 40 grams mostly of gold) to create an engagement ring, I got OUT of there ASAP.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:06:00 PM
Author: FrekeChild
2.gif

IndyGal I should have taken out those family jewels. Hah! JK, he''s a decent guy (besides the previously stated problem), we just weren''t meant to be. I think he''s been dating a girl since he and I broke up-about 4-5 years? Between what I mentioned earlier, and the talk he had started about dismantling his grandfather''s giant bling ring (two rows of channel set diamonds in graduated sizes with about 4 carats of 10 or so diamonds in a HUGE yellow gold setting-his fingers were ENORMOUS-I think about a size 15 and probably weighed about 40 grams mostly of gold) to create an engagement ring, I got OUT of there ASAP.
Hmm...maybe his current GF doesn''t mind being fondled in her sleep but I''m with you - NO THANKS! Size 15?! Was his grandpa Shaq? LOL I''m glad you got rid of him and are with your One now!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, not Shaq.
28.gif

His grandpa had really bad arthritis and it had to be that big to fit over his knuckles. My dad actually has really bad arthritis and he's had about 5 wedding bands remade because his knuckles kept getting bigger-but they still aren't THAT big.

The ring was seriously huge-it was really close fit over my big toes (individually of course!). I think it would have, except for the fact that I didn't want to get it stuck!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 7:15:22 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 7/21/2008 6:51:36 PM
Author: fuzzers

Oh feel free to threadjack about the Colts anytime!!!
9.gif
Lucky you! Got any extra tickets?
27.gif

My brother''s starting school at IU in Bloomington this fall... and oh my is it pretty down there!! I didn''t think I was Indiana at all! There were... hills! and... trees!!
23.gif
It''s like an entirely different state.
Haha - I''m sure all the tickets will be fought over every game! The partners will probably start a war between all of us! I love the COLTS - at least we have common ground there! The new stadium is about half a mile from my apartment...I''m thinking about renting out my room for the SuperBowl in a couple years!

IU-B...hmm...you''re talking about MY rival now! I''m a Boiler through and through! I didn''t like IUB that much...mostly because there are about twice as many girls as guys and, as a result, girls weren''t as ''prized'' there (good for your brother though)! At Purdue there seems to be about twice as many guys as girls, so we are much more appreciated at parties, etc. It depends on what he wants to study though - engineering/pharmacy v. business/medicine.
Along the lines of the Indiana threadjack...

Oh man, I don''t know if I''m allowed in this thread anymore! Not only am I Bears fan (grew up outside Chicago), but I''m a Domer and bleed blue & gold.
1.gif
Unfortunately, northern IN is pretty depressing and flat and it has been really hot this summer.

Though I wouldn''t complain if I got tickets to a Colts game. Peyton is just sooooo dreamy!
3.gif
(please note the sarcasm here)

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:48:57 PM
Author: dockman3

Oh man, I don't know if I'm allowed in this thread anymore! Not only am I Bears fan (grew up outside Chicago), but I'm a Domer and bleed blue & gold.
1.gif
Unfortunately, northern IN is pretty depressing and flat and it has been really hot this summer.

Though I wouldn't complain if I got tickets to a Colts game. Peyton is just sooooo dreamy!
3.gif
HAHAHA! I admire Peyton's ROCKET LASER ARM much more than his looks...and he was HILARIOUS on SNL! You should've seen Purdue when the Colts were playing the Bears in Super Bowl XLI! The campus was divided and trash talk was abound. You must pick a side though, man...and I'd take Peyton over Sexy Rexy anyday! Orton was a Boiler you know...we were actually friends at Purdue because he would always come into the training room.
1.gif

ETA: Apologies to fuzzers for the OT posts...but I know you don't mind.
2.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:59:36 PM

Date: 7/21/2008 9:48:57 PM

Oh man, I don''t know if I''m allowed in this thread anymore! Not only am I Bears fan (grew up outside Chicago), but I''m a Domer and bleed blue & gold.
1.gif

Though I wouldn''t complain if I got tickets to a Colts game. Peyton is just sooooo dreamy!
3.gif
HAHAHA! I admire Peyton''s ROCKET LASER ARM much more than his looks...and he was HILARIOUS on SNL! You should''ve seen Purdue when the Colts were playing the Bears in Super Bowl XLI! The campus was divided and trash talk was abound. You must pick a side though, man...and I''d take Peyton over Sexy Rexy anyday! Orton was a Boiler you know...we were actually friends at Purdue because he would always come into the training room.
1.gif

ETA: Apologies to fuzzers for the OT posts...but I know you don''t mind.
2.gif
Yeah, I know Orton was a Boiler. I remember watching him play in person, both at ND and at PU (I got down to West Lafayette for most of our away games). He was good in college, but he''s not great in the pro''s. That''s cool that you knew him though! I can''t say I was ever friends with any of our good players.

And yeah, our campus was split between the Bears and Colts too. Heck, all of Northern Indiana was split! And I totally agree with you on Peyton over sexy Rexy. I never liked Rexy.

More apologies to fuzzers for the continued thread jack....just tell us and we''ll cut it out.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 10:09:34 PM
Yeah, I know Orton was a Boiler. I remember watching him play in person, both at ND and at PU (I got down to West Lafayette for most of our away games). He was good in college, but he''s not great in the pro''s. That''s cool that you knew him though! I can''t say I was ever friends with any of our good players.

And yeah, our campus was split between the Bears and Colts too. Heck, all of Northern Indiana was split! And I totally agree with you on Peyton over sexy Rexy. I never liked Rexy.

More apologies to fuzzers for the continued thread jack....just tell us and we''ll cut it out.
Yeah, being an athletic trainer has its perks...although I did always have to fight off dirty looks from JERSEY CHASERS who just wanted to be near football players. We took care of their health and saw them everyday at practice and were on the sidelines for them during games, so I got to be pretty good friends with that class, who did pretty well in the draft with Phillips, Kyle, Stu, Nick Hardwick, etc. Did you go to ND? You guys used to be our kryptonite...lbut ately...
11.gif
When Kyle comes back (they all come back for the Spring Game and open tabs at the bars which end up being hundreds and thousands of dollars) he gets so sloppy it''s not even funny. I never thought he was *that good* in college or the pros, he just got lucky when Rex was taken out and maintained the team...low expectations resulted in high praise for him. He chewed tobacco incessantly though and that was a
14.gif
for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dockman- for the record my dad went to ND...I''ve never thought about it, but he totally bleeds blue and gold. In fact I''m wearing a ND shirt right now. A gift from him.
20.gif
Lol.

Did you go to ND?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I live in the UK and don''t know ANYONE who doesn''t live with their SO.

I moved in with FI after 3 months - we''ll have been together 4 years in August.

I''d NEVER marry a man until I''d lived with him for at least a year. I lived with 3 previous bf''s - one for nearly 7 years, one for 2.5 years and one for 2 years. I knew very quickly the FI was the ''One'' after we moved in - there were none of the problems that there were with the others. It was just super-simple.

My parents, who are pretty conservative also won''t give their approval to any engagement without our having lived together for over a year. My younger sister got married before they lived together - against my parents wishes - and it is a complete disaster, they are so incompatible and never saw it in the 4 years they dated. My brother and youngest sister both live with their SO''s.

My parents, youngest sister and I are all staunch atheists, but my brother is very religious (only one that wasn''t sent to church and Sunday school every week...
9.gif
).

It does seem far more common in the US to not live together before engagement/marriage.

I wouldn''t buy a house without a w-band on my finger though. FI and I had an offer accepted 2 weeks ago, but the contracts will be exchanged after the wedding.

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
Oh by all means discuss the Colts all you like!
9.gif
I''m wearing my Superbowl XLI Champions t-shirt right now (I own like, 6).

Had to rub it in Dockman (Da Bears fan)''s face a little....
2.gif

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 11:28:40 AM
Author: Blair138
Date: 7/21/2008 1:50:31 AM

Author: star sparkle

ETA- not to threadjack, but Blair, our e-rings look like twins!!

**THREADJACK**Yes they do!! Very pretty! Although I must say I am biased
9.gif
Do you have more pictures of it somewhere on here?

Yeah, my few others.

Thanks, fuzzers!
35.gif

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Freke, did you know that 87% of all statistics on the internet are completely made up? I got this from a very reliable source.
2.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 10:15:14 PM
Date: 7/21/2008 10:09:34 PM

Yeah, being an athletic trainer has its perks...although I did always have to fight off dirty looks from JERSEY CHASERS who just wanted to be near football players. We took care of their health and saw them everyday at practice and were on the sidelines for them during games, so I got to be pretty good friends with that class, who did pretty well in the draft with Phillips, Kyle, Stu, Nick Hardwick, etc. Did you go to ND? You guys used to be our kryptonite...lbut ately...
11.gif
When Kyle comes back (they all come back for the Spring Game and open tabs at the bars which end up being hundreds and thousands of dollars) he gets so sloppy it''s not even funny. I never thought he was *that good* in college or the pros, he just got lucky when Rex was taken out and maintained the team...low expectations resulted in high praise for him. He chewed tobacco incessantly though and that was a
14.gif
for me.
Being an athletic trainer would be very cool! Jersey chasers is such a nice way to put it. We always called them jock sniffs.
3.gif
We have a program here, the sports managers, where you essentially are the water/equipment people for various teams. I did it my freshmen year just so I could paint the helmets once, which was really cool. That''s as into that as I ever got.

I didn''t know that Kyle chewed though. That''s pretty disgusting. Are you still at Purdue?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 10:19:34 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Dockman- for the record my dad went to ND...I''ve never thought about it, but he totally bleeds blue and gold. In fact I''m wearing a ND shirt right now. A gift from him.
20.gif
Lol.

Did you go to ND?
Yes, I did, and still do. I graduated in ''04 with my bachelors, ''07 with my masters and I''m finishing up and will graduate in ''09 with my PhD, so I''ll have 3 degrees from ND!

That''s really cool that your dad went here. Just curious, do you know a)what year he graduated and b)where he lived on campus?

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 12:37:27 AM
Oh by all means discuss the Colts all you like!
9.gif
I''m wearing my Superbowl XLI Champions t-shirt right now (I own like, 6).

Had to rub it in Dockman (Da Bears fan)''s face a little....
2.gif
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You''ve got the most recent one, but you don''t got a "Super Bowl Shuffle".
3.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 7:15:22 PM
Date: 7/21/2008 6:51:36 PM

Oh feel free to threadjack about the Colts anytime!!!
9.gif
Lucky you! Got any extra tickets?
27.gif

My brother''s starting school at IU in Bloomington this fall... and oh my is it pretty down there!! I didn''t think I was Indiana at all! There were... hills! and... trees!!
23.gif
It''s like an entirely different state.

Haha - I''m sure all the tickets will be fought over every game! The partners will probably start a war between all of us! I love the COLTS - at least we have common ground there! The new stadium is about half a mile from my apartment...I''m thinking about renting out my room for the SuperBowl in a couple years!

IU-B...hmm...you''re talking about MY rival now! I''m a Boiler through and through! I didn''t like IUB that much...mostly because there are about twice as many girls as guys and, as a result, girls weren''t as ''prized'' there (good for your brother though)! At Purdue there seems to be about twice as many guys as girls, so we are much more appreciated at parties, etc. It depends on what he wants to study though - engineering/pharmacy v. business/medicine.

GO BOILERS! I''m a proud Boilermaker myself- the 17th one in my family! (GO COLTS TOO ). Its so funny to find people on PS that are so similar to me!
1.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 9:09:01 AM

Being an athletic trainer would be very cool! Jersey chasers is such a nice way to put it. We always called them jock sniffs.
3.gif
We have a program here, the sports managers, where you essentially are the water/equipment people for various teams. I did it my freshmen year just so I could paint the helmets once, which was really cool. That''s as into that as I ever got.

I didn''t know that Kyle chewed though. That''s pretty disgusting. Are you still at Purdue?
LMAO JOCK SNIFFS?! That''s hilarious! I never worked with equipment per se, but we did fashion pads for them depending on their injuries and would have to wrap a great deal of them...you''d never guess what some of them were wearing underneath their football pads
2.gif
Yeah, Kyle chewed 24/7 and even used it on the field during practices (I don''t know if that was some sort of NCAA violation, but I''m sure it was) and in the classroom (we had a few classes together and he would dip there *ewwww*). I graduated from good ol'' Purdue in 2006 and am in law school now. I almost went to ND for law school, but it was so expensive and the thought of having that much in student loans to pay back was frightening with the saturation of the market nowadays. Super Bowl Shuffle, huh? I''ll give you that, but keep lookin'' to the past because the Colts own the present and future.
3.gif

Yay GoingCrazy! I miss Purdue a lot and will definitely be back this football season for some Breakfast Club festivities...our basketball team should be amazing as well! Nice to meet you!

ETA: Sorry to anyone else checking this thread searching for riveting discussion about cohabitation...I love that this thread has taken a friendly tone and is all about connecting and finding similarities between us!
1.gif
Thanks to fuzzers too!
36.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I tailgate for every game and still make it to some Breakfast Clubs- excited for football and basketball this year! (sorry for everyone not from Indiana who has to read these!)
1.gif

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 10:00:29 AM
Date: 7/22/2008 9:09:01 AM

3.gif
We have a program here, the sports managers, where you essentially are the water/equipment people for various teams. I did it my freshmen year just so I could paint the helmets once, which was really cool. That's as into that as I ever got.

I didn't know that Kyle chewed though. That's pretty disgusting. Are you still at Purdue?
LMAO JOCK SNIFFS?! That's hilarious! I never worked with equipment per se, but we did fashion pads for them depending on their injuries and would have to wrap a great deal of them...you'd never guess what some of them were wearing underneath their football pads
2.gif
Yeah, Kyle chewed 24/7 and even used it on the field during practices (I don't know if that was some sort of NCAA violation, but I'm sure it was) and in the classroom (we had a few classes together and he would dip there *ewwww*). I graduated from good ol' Purdue in 2006 and am in law school now. I almost went to ND for law school, but it was so expensive and the thought of having that much in student loans to pay back was frightening with the saturation of the market nowadays. Super Bowl Shuffle, huh? I'll give you that, but keep lookin' to the past because the Colts own the present and future.
3.gif

Yay GoingCrazy! I miss Purdue a lot and will definitely be back this football season for some Breakfast Club festivities...our basketball team should be amazing as well! Nice to meet you!

ETA: Sorry to anyone else checking this thread searching for riveting discussion about cohabitation...I love that this thread has taken a friendly tone and is all about connecting and finding similarities between us!
1.gif
Thanks to fuzzers too!
36.gif

He chewed during class!?!?! Oh man, that is really disgusting.

Yeah, ND law school is not cheap. If they weren't paying me to be here right now, I probably would have gone somewhere else for grad school because tuition is getting out of hand. I got enough financial aid in undergrad where my loans are not too bad, but I don't think there's much financial aid for law school.

As sad as it is, I'm getting used to looking to the past in all sports. Let's see: Bears, last super bowl, 1985. Cubs, last world series 1908, I believe. ND, last championship, 1988, last bowl win, 1993. Bulls, double three-peats in the 90's was good, but that was 10 years ago now. Yeah, I'm used to looking into the past. I'll give you that Colts may not suck as bad as the Bears this year, but I don't think either of us is making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I personally did not live with DH before marriage. I have NO objections to people moving in together before they are married. In fact, it made perfect sense financially for MANY couples I know. They would have been crazy NOT to do it. For me personally though, it made no difference financially (because roommates already paid half the bills anyway), and it didn''t line up with my somewhat dated, slightly narrow outlook on what I want for my life (which doesn''t make a whole lot of sense given the amount of time that DH was over.) Plus, I was living with one of my best girl friends, and my other best friends were over for ridiculously girly nights all the time. I knew I would be living with DH forever, and I would NEVER get to live with my BFF again.

Now, I will admit that for DH and me, most of our married arguments have come from adjusting to each other''s living habits (aka I like things perfectly clean and he likes to leave things everywhere). BUT those things are working themselves out over time. We would have had to work them out sooner had we lived together first, but I don''t see where it makes too much difference working them out later (I suppose I ran the risk of discovering deal breakers AFTER the fact. Luckily that has yet to happen after 1.1 years) I wouldn''t change my decision for anything. But I also would NEVER think of looking down on someone for making a different decision than my own. I am from an area where it is still considered somewhat shocking for people to live together before marriage. But though I conformed to the expectation, I do not think that it is always a reasonable expectation this day in age. I say do what works best for YOU.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Okay - enough Indiana talk here...someone make a Midwest or Indiana thread in the Around the World board and we can reconvene there! I don''t want anyone to get angry!
1.gif

ringless

Shiny_Rock
I''ve said it once and i''ll say it again... I deep down feel if I didn''t live with my boyfriend already then we would probably be engaged by now/already. I''m not just saying that, but that is just how I feel about the situation. We lived together for 3 years for financial reasons and decided we should stop and wait till marriage. If you can wait, I would it will for sure make things more special when you get married!

ringless

Shiny_Rock
BreBee - I know how you feel :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results