shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone live in Portland Oregon?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi.

DH and I are exploring options to move out of CA (again). It was mentioned to me that Portland is a great area as it is liberal, has a growing tech industry, is beautiful, and is generally a great place to live.

I wanted to see if anyone on PS has experience living here.

Thanks!

Q

Queenie60

Hi Gypsy: I have a very close friend, she lives in Portland Oregon. It's a very affordable place to live, near the water and seems to be a friendly city. We also have friends living in Washington State, close to Seattle. Very beautiful part of the country - we were there a few weekends ago and housing seems to be about 1/3 of the cost of the Bay Area. I don't know too much about these cities however our friends enjoy living there and have been for 20 + years. I'm also hearing that Boise Idaho is a nice place to live. Good luck :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Queenie.

We have the following cities on the list. And we want to make a decision in the next two weeks.

Dallas, TX (we have family there, and there are a decent amount of jobs for me, politics and weather suck)
Research Triangle, NC (no family, decent jobs for me, great weather, longest move, purple state).
Sacramento, CA (shortest move, lower cost of living, gives us temporary relief and we'd still be very close to Bay Area).
Portland, OR (reasonably short move, lower cost of living, liberal, up and coming tech area)
San Diego, CA (Highest cost of living of the options we have, but it's San Diego, and there are a lot of jobs for me).

:wavey:

E B

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1473898912|4076665 said:
Hi.

DH and I are exploring options to move out of CA (again). It was mentioned to me that Portland is a great area as it is liberal, has a growing tech industry, is beautiful, and is generally a great place to live.

I wanted to see if anyone on PS has experience living here.

Thanks!

We did, for a few years. Left the Los Angeles area for Portland, and it is all you mentioned and more. We truly loved EVERYTHING about it but...the gray, and the mist. It goes on for months, unbroken. It became too hard to deal with (I later learned I was suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder), and this is certainly something to consider if you've lived in CA for years and have become used to mostly sunny days.

Now, I'm not a person who needs tons of sunlight or hates rain. We're in NC now and I'd do a dance for more rain if I could (and it rains here a fair bit compared to other areas of the country) but the near constant, many months at a time, "not fully raining but just enough to keep you from enjoying most outdoor activities" can really impact one's mood in a big way.

Sorry to Debbie Downer the post, because it is wonderful in so many ways, and this won't happen to everyone, but just know it can.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW - Since its on your list, RTP is a great area, reasonably-priced houses & cost of living, lots of great jobs, and this area is constantly on all the lists of "places to move to/live". And it is a welcoming, diverse area (despite the stereotypes of "the south"). The biggest thing I had to get over was the humidity in the summer. It's horrid, but usually only really bad for about 3 weeks. The rest of the year is awesome, IMO.

Just throwing it out there ... :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stepson lived there for quite a few years until he moved for a job with Google a few months go. I've visited frequently during my 39 years in Oregon. It's an hour flight from me. The city's popularity has driven up home prices and rentals are rare. It's a great place to live if you're fortunate enough to have a professional job. Service industry jobs don't cover rent there anymore and those folks are being pushed out of the core of Portland. Resentment is building toward those who come from out of town, land professional jobs, and gentrify neighborhoods that used to be the domain of arrested development hippies (I'm not demeaning hippies, just stating facts).

If you've never watched Porlandia, do so. It's not an exaggeration. The city is definitely liberal with a plethora of quirky folk. Restaurants and bars are divine. The city is extraordinary in its efforts to be as green as possible running the gamut of innovative recycling programs to green building to even allowing chickens and other small farm animals in the city. Organic is a religion.

If it makes your short list and you decide to visit, let me know if I can help in any way.

Q

Queenie60

Have you thought about Colorado? My daughter goes to school in Boulder, CO and it's a beautiful City. Although it's pricey, much less than the Bay Area. If I had a need to move I would strongly consider Boulder, CO. They have many days of sunshine. Just a thought?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I lived in San Diego for years and loved it. Yes it's fairly costly, but it's gorgeous and an overall great place. But on the other hand Portland is a great option as well. I was recently there for a conference and one of my good friends lives there now. It's another great choice, but I'm definitely partial to the gorgeous weather in SD :)

And FWIW I agree with EB about the weather. It's definitely something to take into consideration. I grew up in Seattle and now realize that I definitely had seasonal affective disorder. The unbroken grey really takes its toll on some people (although my DH is one of the people who isn't bothered at all). Just something to think about.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've visited Bend, OR a couple of times and love it! It's astonishing how low the property taxes are compared to what we pay in NY.

IF you're up for a move, Canada! Paid maternity leave? 1 year? What?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Right now it looks like Sacramento area is most likely.

We both like SD but it's not enough of a cost of living break for us long term, unless I get a job quickly.

We can't agree on Portland or NC. I am worried about SAD in Portland. But I am worried about NC being so freaking far away too. Portland is only 10 hours by car. Moving to NC means 6 cats for a week in a car.

And while I would love to move to Dallas it is DH's last choice.

I think we're going to drive up to Sacramento tomorrow and see what we think. I've been up there many times but DH has not.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes sounds like it's more practical to stay on the same coast. One week in ccar with 6 cats 2 humans... Results in 8 feral cats gone mad. :lol:

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so timely! We have been talking about a move out of state for a while. Portland, Boise and Boulder are all big contenders. Sac was also on the list since it's much more affordable than LA and the Bay Area and still in CA. The one big downer is air quality. I have heard that because of where it sits along with other cities like Rocklin and Roseville the air quality isn't the greatest. For some reason Davis has better air quality and is a 20 min ride to sac? So that is now on the list as a sac replacement. I have family in the bay and it would be nice to live closer to them. My Dh's family is in SoCal and we have lived here all of our togetherness. Time for a change and better cost of living. We want upgrades. Upgrades and more upgrades. I'm worried the only way we will be able to do that is move out of state. I have visited some southern state cities that I really like but "the south" is not generally what I see for myself and my family.

Portland would be a blind move for us. We know no one. Although we loved our visit.
Boise we have been a couple of times and have some friends that live there
Boulder have visited a few times and also have friends that live there.
Davis both my sisters went to UC Davis and loved the city. I have visited a few times and it's sweet. Family is about an hour away.
Dh does not like Sac at all.

We must be near a major airport so that does limit us a little.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so hard.

I just don't know what to do.

ARGH.

I am a control freak. And this is driving me out of my gourd.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being close to family has always been hugely important to me. I really hate being far away from them, but I know not everyone has that same dynamic. How important is being close to family in the long term?

Oh, and I can't speak for everyone in Portland, but a good friend of mine was raised there, went to college there and recently moved. It's very unaffordable for many of the people who have always called it home. He does not have kind things to say about the CA tech transplants who buy up the houses and have driven up the cost of living over the years.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473900202|4076676 said:
Thanks Queenie.

We have the following cities on the list. And we want to make a decision in the next two weeks.

Dallas, TX (we have family there, and there are a decent amount of jobs for me, politics and weather suck)
Research Triangle, NC (no family, decent jobs for me, great weather, longest move, purple state).
Sacramento, CA (shortest move, lower cost of living, gives us temporary relief and we'd still be very close to Bay Area).
Portland, OR (reasonably short move, lower cost of living, liberal, up and coming tech area)
San Diego, CA (Highest cost of living of the options we have, but it's San Diego, and there are a lot of jobs for me).

NO INCOME TAX IN TX.
I want to move there. Except. Racist people. :nono:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1473909528|4076743 said:
Sac was also on the list since it's much more affordable than LA and the Bay Area and still in CA. The one big downer is air quality. I have heard that because of where it sits along with other cities like Rocklin and Roseville the air quality isn't the greatest. For some reason Davis has better air quality and is a 20 min ride to sac? So that is now on the list as a sac replacement.

As one who lives in Sacramento and used to work in the air quality field, I thought I'd address this. What you've stated is accurate - air quality is poorer as you get into the foothill areas. It's important to keep this in perspective though. We're not talking about Los Angeles, or even Fresno - area pollution levels. Air quality in the Sacramento area is improving rapidly for all pollutants, and even the worst pollutants register within allowable federal levels on the vast majority of days. Still, it is something to consider, particularly if anyone in the family has chronic respiratory issues.

Air quality in Davis is better because it's on the downwind side of the urban area. It's a more expensive housing market however, as I'm sure you've noticed.

West Sacramento is sort of up-an-coming area in the Sacramento Metro area. It's very mixed economically... there are a lot of bargains to be found in older neighborhoods, but they're not going to be areas that have CC&R's. ;)) There is also quite a bit of relatively new construction. The City of West Sacramento seems to really have its act together in terms of figuring out what makes for good mixed-use communities and there's some interesting stuff going on near the "downtown" area. And - West Sac is within a mile or two of downtown Sacramento and lots of restaurants and cultural options.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1473915259|4076794 said:
Gypsy|1473900202|4076676 said:
Thanks Queenie.

NO INCOME TAX IN TX.
I want to move there. Except. Racist people. :nono:

Portland has one area that has no income tax. And another just across the river that has no sales tax. And very few racist people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1473915490|4076797 said:
hathalove|1473909528|4076743 said:
Sac was also on the list since it's much more affordable than LA and the Bay Area and still in CA. The one big downer is air quality. I have heard that because of where it sits along with other cities like Rocklin and Roseville the air quality isn't the greatest. For some reason Davis has better air quality and is a 20 min ride to sac? So that is now on the list as a sac replacement.

As one who lives in Sacramento and used to work in the air quality field, I thought I'd address this. What you've stated is accurate - air quality is poorer as you get into the foothill areas. It's important to keep this in perspective though. We're not talking about Los Angeles, or even Fresno - area pollution levels. Air quality in the Sacramento area is improving rapidly for all pollutants, and even the worst pollutants register within allowable federal levels on the vast majority of days. Still, it is something to consider, particularly if anyone in the family has chronic respiratory issues.

Air quality in Davis is better because it's on the downwind side of the urban area. It's a more expensive housing market however, as I'm sure you've noticed.

West Sacramento is sort of up-an-coming area in the Sacramento Metro area. It's very mixed economically... there are a lot of bargains to be found in older neighborhoods, but they're not going to be areas that have CC&R's. ;)) There is also quite a bit of relatively new construction. The City of West Sacramento seems to really have its act together in terms of figuring out what makes for good mixed-use communities and there's some interesting stuff going on near the "downtown" area. And - West Sac is within a mile or two of downtown Sacramento and lots of restaurants and cultural options.

I like Sacramento. I went to Davis.

But I prefer the Folsom area. Greener. I am SO FREAKING TIRED OF LIVING IN A CONCRETE JUNGLE.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Move east. To Scandinavia ;-) Bring the kitties :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scandinavian|1473926871|4076833 said:
Move east. To Scandinavia ;-) Bring the kitties :)

((HUGS)).

Get me a job. We'll talk. LOL!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gypsy!
We've been casually looking at Portland too. Not for right now but we plan to retire in 8-10 years and we're researching where our primary US residence should be. We will be living in the Caribbean for 6-8 months a year and the remaining 4-6 month will be stateside. We want a low tax state, good weather for the most part, great food options, still close to the ocean, cheaper than here in CA, and liberal. That being said I know I couldn't live there full time due to the fog/mist/rain/no sun. However that kind of weather will be a nice break from the Caribbean for sure. We're blessed to have such amazing weather her in CA, and when we do have those one off cloudy days, I can feel it in my bones. I hate clouds. Oh and I do like Oregon Pinots so that's another plus for Oregon in my book :naughty:

I've been looking at real estate in Portland and it's really affordable (at least compared to the Bay Area) and gosh do they have some amazing houses.

Good luck with your search! I hope you guys find something that is right for the both of you.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH and I have good friends that live in Portland and we've been several times - it's amazing. The weather, the food, the people, it's all great for me. I know visiting is different than living somewhere, but every time I go back I like it more.

I will say, in terms of moving - DH and I just moved from Tampa to Chicago last month. We knew we wanted to leave FL and we spent a LOT of time (years) making pro/con lists, checking job availabilities, taking weekend trips to potential new places to live, and I drove myself crazy. The only way we made a decision was basically looking at the list and saying, well, anywhere is better than here and making a snap decision.

We're here now and we love it, and I'm mostly just angry it took us so long to leave FL. If you're unhappy in CA, don't waste time waffling for years like I did! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results