shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Know What These Are?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me preface this thread by saying I know absolutely nothing about pearls. Trying to learn here. Pearl.jpg Hubby brought this necklace home from one of his far east trips. I don't have it with me here in FL so all I have is this picture. I know the beads are tourmalines but the large pearls are strange to me. Can anyone identify from this lousy picture what they may be? Are these considered Circle pearls?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are circlé or circled pearls because they have circles or rings. The rings form as the pearl is moved around inside the oyster or mussel.

They could be either south sea pearls or freshwater pearls from China.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are circlé or circled pearls because they have circles or rings. The rings form as the pearl is moved around inside the oyster or mussel.

They could be either south sea pearls or freshwater pearls from China.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty colours!! I'm "into" colours more and more these days. My off the cuff guess is FW based just on the fact that they don't look very big compared to the chain and the clamps on the box that would hold the strand in place.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me preface this thread by saying I know absolutely nothing about pearls. Trying to learn here. Pearl.jpg Hubby brought this necklace home from one of his far east trips. I don't have it with me here in FL so all I have is this picture. I know the beads are tourmalines but the large pearls are strange to me. Can anyone identify from this lousy picture what they may be? Are these considered Circle pearls?

i just love this piece
its so pretty
i hope you wear it
i can see why hubbie brought it

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty colours!! I'm "into" colours more and more these days. My off the cuff guess is FW based just on the fact that they don't look very big compared to the chain and the clamps on the box that would hold the strand in place.

Thanks yssie! They are bigger than you think. I'm away from them right now so I can't measure them, but they are bigger than my Edisons which are 9.4 - 11.7. At least as I remember, lol. That's probably not saying much. I used to think this was the weirdest necklace I had ever seen because the pearls were huge to me. It's sort of growing on me right now. I really should wear it. I have to admit that I've had it for maybe 20 years and I've probably worn it 3 times.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i just love this piece
its so pretty
i hope you wear it
i can see why hubbie brought it

Thanks Daisys and Diamonds! To be honest, I never really liked it. I thought the pearl hanging on the chain was just weird. Plus to me the pearls were huge. Now that I'm old and bigger is better it's starting to grow on me, lol.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks yssie! They are bigger than you think. I'm away from them right now so I can't measure them, but they are bigger than my Edisons which are 9.4 - 11.7. At least as I remember, lol. That's probably not saying much. I used to think this was the weirdest necklace I had ever seen because the pearls were huge to me. It's sort of growing on me right now. I really should wear it. I have to admit that I've had it for maybe 20 years and I've probably worn it 3 times.

Oh! I didn’t realize you’d had the piece so long. You must wear it - you could go wild with your brooch crittery :love:

So… From what I’m remembering of what I’ve read, pros please correct any errors, around 2000ish tissue nucleation was still the norm for FW (farmers were starting to play with tissue shape to encourage spherical pearl growth) but bead implants were still rife with rejection, and the industry was *just* starting to converge on the triangle shell mussel (probably the most common mussel now). Big and regularly-shaped (even circled) FW wasn’t a reliable #thing yet.

So based on how much bigger yours are than I thought and the age - I’ll change my guess to “probably SS”!

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I didn’t realize you’d had the piece so long. You must wear it - you could go wild with your brooch crittery :love:

So… From what I’m remembering of what I’ve read, pros please correct any errors, around 2000ish tissue nucleation was still the norm for FW (farmers were starting to play with tissue shape to encourage spherical pearl growth) but bead implants were still rife with rejection, and the industry was *just* starting to converge on the triangle shell mussel (probably the most common mussel now). Big and regularly-shaped (even circled) FW wasn’t a reliable #thing yet.

So based on how much bigger yours are than I thought and the age - I’ll change my guess to “probably SS”!

That's exciting!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisys and Diamonds! To be honest, I never really liked it. I thought the pearl hanging on the chain was just weird. Plus to me the pearls were huge. Now that I'm old and bigger is better it's starting to grow on me, lol.

there is nothing wrong with that !
our tastes do seem to change over time or maybe we learn to just have the confidence not to be influenced by what is currently on trend

the other day i saw Queen Maxima of the Netherlands wear a long multi coloured necklace and i thought of your necklace
its no where near the same (and i like yours better) but your one must have been at the back of my mind
66741677-11652935-image-a-8_1674125420239.jpg

ok its nothing like your one :lol-2:
but HM is out there rocking the colours :appl: (speaking on behalf of the UN)

Max can be very inovative with her jewlery wearing pricelss diamond brooches on the belt of her dresses

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I'll have to dig them out when I get back and make a point to wear them. I did find a crappy old photo with them on. Maybe this will help with the size.

Tourmalines and Pearls.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'll have to dig them out when I get back and make a point to wear them. I did find a crappy old photo with them on. Maybe this will help with the size.

Tourmalines and Pearls.jpg

i did not realize it had a double pearl feature
i thought that was a 2nd necklace that it must have came with
its very striking
i initally thought a good day time option
but now i think i also think evening on a low neckline
but that blue of your top = highlight the lovely colours

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i did not realize it had a double pearl feature
i thought that was a 2nd necklace that it must have came with
its very striking
i initally thought a good day time option
but now i think i also think evening on a low neckline
but that blue of your top = highlight the lovely colours

LOL, you can be honest, it's kind of strange. But given I like unique things, maybe appropriate. I always thought I would like it better without that chain thingy in the middle. Maybe I should turn it into a bracelet.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, you can be honest, it's kind of strange. But given I like unique things, maybe appropriate. I always thought I would like it better without that chain thingy in the middle. Maybe I should turn it into a bracelet.

I think removing the center chain piece and making a bracelet out of it is a great idea.

LHethrington

Rough_Rock

they are very pretty!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They look like White South Sea circles to me . Very pretty and coloured stones are very popular now so I'd definitely wear them !

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like White South Sea circles to me . Very pretty and coloured stones are very popular now so I'd definitely wear them !

Thank you!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i wish i could remember i saw a necklace (not pearl but a very very similar layout) so very similar the other day
it was uncanny
maybe it was on a customer at work?

the extra chain and bead thingy looked ok in person
i immedaitly thought of yours
but if removing the chain thingy would mean you would wear it more the go ahead and do it
i think the single pearl would make a nice necklace just on her own

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I really like the extra chain and pearl. It's handsome and dramatic and you won't look just like all the other girls when you wear it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the extra chain and pearl. It's handsome and dramatic and you won't look just like all the other girls when you wear it.

Thanks glitterata!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like the chain as well...but the double beads bother me lol I think maybe just one bead on each end...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the chain as well...but the double beads bother me lol I think maybe just one bead on each end...

Hmm......maybe that's what is throwing me off.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i am still loving this necklace
but i do like the idea of removing the extra gold beads

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am still loving this necklace
but i do like the idea of removing the extra gold beads

Thanks! I never thought of doing that before but it may just be what's bugging me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I never thought of doing that before but it may just be what's bugging me.

apart from the hassle of getting it restrung it would seem an easy fix
best wishes and keep us posted
its just such a pretty necklace i hate to think of it tucked away and never being worn

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
there is nothing wrong with that !
our tastes do seem to change over time or maybe we learn to just have the confidence not to be influenced by what is currently on trend

the other day i saw Queen Maxima of the Netherlands wear a long multi coloured necklace and i thought of your necklace
its no where near the same (and i like yours better) but your one must have been at the back of my mind
66741677-11652935-image-a-8_1674125420239.jpg

ok its nothing like your one :lol-2:
but HM is out there rocking the colours :appl: (speaking on behalf of the UN)

Max can be very inovative with her jewlery wearing pricelss diamond brooches on the belt of her dresses

Where do you follow Queen Max? I love her jewels!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results