shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Know The Value Of These Vintage Mikimoto Pearls??

dylano

Rough_Rock
I got these from my grandma, when she passed away, and was wondering what they were worth.
If anyone could give me an approximate value that would be wonderful. Thank you in advanced.

2011-10-09_16-58-37_687.jpg
2011-10-09_16-55-25_357.jpg
2011-10-09_16-56-06_639.jpg
2011-10-09_16-55-59_979.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure the pearls are Mikimoto. The Mikimoto clasp is very distinctive, here is an ebay guide

http://reviews.ebay.com/Mikimoto-Guide-to-Identify-and-Buy-Mikimoto-Pearls_W0QQugidZ10000000002102630

Read the guide, it's pretty informative.

The box might be genuine, but the pearls have a standard pearl clasp that is very common.

You will need to take it to a jeweler to determine if they are freshwater or saltwater Akoya. An intelligent jeweler (as opposed to jewelry salesperson) can tell in a glance. If they are freshwater, they can be worth anywhere from $10 to $300 depending on roundness, blemishes, nacre thickness, matching, luster, size, and overall beauty. Saltwater Akoya can range from $80 to $1000+. Also, check the clasp to be sure it's marked for gold and not gold-filled or plated.

But it's value really is priceless, it's a wonderful memory of your grandmother and the thought that she wanted to you to have them is touching.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ilander offered some good advice. The box looks original but the clasps is a very common(inexpensive) clasps that is definitely not Mikimoto.

Unfortunately there is no way to look at the pearls and determine if they are Mikimoto or not, most of the value comes from the box, clasps and paper work.

At the very least the strand has been restrung and a new clasp used on the strand - worst case its not the original mikimoto strand, just the box is mikimoto.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The trademark or Mikimoto marking is an oyster shell with a "M" inside. It should be visable on the clasp.

dlmcn

Rough_Rock
Dylano,

Did you ever find out more about your necklace? I had an identical one that was stolen and I'd like to report the value. My grandparents were stationed in Japan after WWII and bought it then.

cfuentes11

Rough_Rock
Hello! I just came across this topic and happened to have the same concern. I hope someone could tell me if this is authentic.
I found this in one of our vaults and just kept it. It's a rosary. It says it is silver and mikimoto. Are these real mikimoto pearls? There is this "M" marking on the second picture as you can see, above silver. (Please don't mind if the silver has turned dark. It has not been cleaned for I don't know how long.) Thank you in advance for your comments!

_32604.jpg

_32605.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It apears to be. The clam shell mark is there. There are many qualities of pearls sold by them so don't too excited you've hit the jackpot.
These will be hard to clean up due to so much tarnish and harsh cleaners or silver dips harm pearls.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What an interesting piece! Looks authentic to me. If you intend to sell it, please do not clean it or polish the silver. The oxidation supports its authenticity as an older piece and doesn't reduce the value in any way. The buyer can then decide then if they want to clean it.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
That rosary is cool. Since the trend is black metals, it fits in -- the problem is that the tarnish may come off on your skin or clothing. Wear it with a black turtleneck. :D

Mikimoto prices are all over the place. I saw a strand in a consignment store that was priced at $8000, and I thought to myself, thank goodness for freshwater pearls!

cfuentes11

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thank you for all your replies. Not quite sure if I'm to sell it, since I do not know much about the piece. I'll still need to do some researching about it. A friend of mine also told me not to clean it as it may reduce the value of it.. She does know a little about jewelries, but limited to silver, gold and platinum only. I've also asked around some antique shops if they know anything about the piece, unfortunately they don't. I might keep it meantime, but never know in the future if the need to sell it comes up. Any suggestions where's the best II can auction it or sell it? I'm really clueless about this and hope you can help. Thank you!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose eBay is the obvious place to sell something. You'll reach the largest audience. There are other online selling sites, like Bonanza and Etsy.

There's a section here on PS for pre-loved items that need new homes.

Consignment stores are good, but they take a hefty percentage. The one near me charges 40%.

The biggest drawback on your rosary necklace is that it will be difficult to polish the silver without harming the pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results