shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here a spinning instructor???

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey- this may be the wrong place, as there is a Healthy Lifestyle Section- but it seems that thread really isn't frequented by many people often so I thought this question would be seen more here...

Anyone a certified spin instructor? I am interested in doing this but wanted some insight. What do I need to do before taking the class? Any suggestions?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I am not, but my best friend is and has been since 2006. She doesn't make a whole lot doing it - she has a full-time job and just teaches spin because she used to take spin classes anyway, so figure if she's going to work out, she may as well get paid for it! She teaches spin at three different gyms, usually one class in the morning and one at night between the three places (but she is kind of psycho when it comes to working out). Generally the nicer the gym, the more you get paid. For example, when she taught at the local college fitness center, she only made $12 a class (back in 2006), but at the super expensive gym in her neighborhood, I think she makes $30 a class (which is about 40 minutes). She did it through these guys: http://www.spinning.com/spinning-instructors/become-an-instructor.asp

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you spin a lot now? My ex owned a bike store and was also a certified instructor. I must confess I spin a lot but I have never instructed. Are you doing it for the extra cash or because you love it? It seems with the many instructors I have encountered most are In it for their love of cycling....not the cash and most have other work. They are all in great shape though. Bonus :appl:

I have found the instructors most familiar with outdoor cycling too seem to run a better class. As an avid outdoor and indoor cyclist that is just my opinion.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not for the money-I work full time in special education and do not need the extra money, at this point in time at least. I love spin, take a spin class about 2-3 times a week and workout 5-6 days a week. I would be doing it because I love it and am working out anyways....

:bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
on second thought.... spinning=bling budget lol

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, Amy!

I was never a spinning instructor, but I was a personal trainer and a group ex instructor for a long time, and I ran the recreational program for a JCC as my FT job before I became a teacher, so I managed all of our group ex instructors, including spinning. I know requirements vary for different facilities, but we required our spinning instructors to have two certs: One as a certified group ex instructor, and then a second with a specialization in spinning.

If I were you I'd contact all of the local places that offer spinning classes and see what they require. I started as a PT and group ex instructor at Bally, and while it was not a great place for making money, it WAS a great introduction to the field. I got a lot of great experience and met so many wonderful people.

I had my PT cert through NASM, and my group ex cert through AFAA. Group ex certs are pretty easy to obtain--you typically pay a fee, attend a one or two day workshop, and then take a couple exams at the end. I say go for it! I loved teaching group exercise classes, and it kept me in great shape!

Some other things to consider:
- Get your CPR/First Aid certs if you don't already have them
- If you plan to teach as an independent instructor you may need to take out some extra insurance to cover yourself

Good luck! I LOVED spinning for a long time, and to this day I always say it is the best way to slim down. When I was taking spinning classes it felt like the extra weight just MELTED right off of me. And cycling is awesome, so win-win!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a certified spinning instructor. I've been teaching for 13 years and I love it. There really isn't anything you need to do before taking an instructor course but it helps if you've been spinning a while already and are conditioned. It's another level when you have to actual talk while doing the class. Many clubs have different criteria for their instructor's. Most will require a current Spin instructor cert and well as first aid and CPR. Some also require you to have basic foundations or group exercise as well. Hope that helps...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for all the help!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results