shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have photos of sapphires from light to deep color saturation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Pink and or blue? I''m going to do a search but I thought maybe someone here had some examples too.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
P.S. Sorry if that sounded odd I can''t think of any other way to describe it.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-picture-showing-range-of-sapphire-colors.14557/

This may not be exactly what you were looking for, but it''s interesting!
1.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
These are a coulpe of sapphires I have set into rings.

One is 4 tone and 3 on the saturation. The other is a5/6 tone with a saturation of 5.

IMG_3200_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the 4/3

IMG_3224_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Although small and badly cut these sapphires are a good example of strong saturation and medium tone.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
This sapphire while very well cut by Richard Homer, Is of lighter tone and saturation.

IMG_3213_1_1.JPG

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 5:15:24 PM
Author:innerkitten
Pink and or blue? I''m going to do a search but I thought maybe someone here had some examples too.
Hi innerkitten. You can try to develop a working knowledge of this by going thorugh the stones on the Natural Sapphire Company''s website, particularly the larger ones. They are pretty explicit in their descriptions and you can compare words with a video image. Pretty cool.

Don''t let price affect which level of saturation you like. There are some gorgeous light pink and light blue stones out there.

It helps to see some stones in person too. Lighting conditions can really affect a stone''s appearance.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are probaly looking for light to deep toned stones. Tone is the depth of colour.
Saturation is the degree of purity of the tone, i.e. how greyed the colour is. You always would want the most saturated colour available, but might like light, medium or dark toned stones, depending on personal preference.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 1:08:16 PM
Author: LdyNghtWng
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you are probaly looking for light to deep toned stones. Tone is the depth of colour.
Saturation is the degree of purity of the tone, i.e. how greyed the colour is. You always would want the most saturated colour available, but might like light, medium or dark toned stones, depending on personal preference.

Hi LdyNghtWng,

Do you mind explaining this a little more? Thanks!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Actually that was a good example.
Thanks!
The terms can be confusing. I have always thought saturation was the strength or intensity the color, and hue being the color itself.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Saturation isn''t a matter of the amount of colour, it is a measure of the color''s purity. A highly saturated hue has a vivid, intense color. A less saturated hue is muted and gray. With no saturation, we are left with shades of gray.

A light colour can still be a pure colour...and a dark colour can be less saturated. In a sapphire, I think many Ceylons have a slightly grayish cast.
The best colour is a rich intense blue. You might like lighter conflower blue, or a darker Kashmiri blue, but in either case you want one that screams "blue'' and isn''t grayed down.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 6:35:52 PM
Author: innerkitten
Actually that was a good example.
Thanks!
The terms can be confusing. I have always thought saturation was the strength or intensity the color, and hue being the color itself.
You are right innerkitten.

Saturation is the richness in color, or intensity of color. Hue is the color itself. Tone is the degree of lightness or darkness of a color. A deep violet stone is darker than a bright yellow stone. They may have similar degrees of saturation, but the tone is different - one is much darker.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results