shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have instructions on making mini wedding cakes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
I keep seeing these online and I LOVE them, but I can''t find any instructions...only websites where you can buy them but they''re pretty expensive! I want to make them myself! I attached a picture of what I''m talking about. Has anyone DIY these mini cakes?

Mini%20Cake%20with%20purple1.JPG

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
They're expensive because they're a lot of work and time consuming. I've seen some cake shows on tv and it looks like they make one large cake (multi-layered sheet cake) and then cut out the smaller "cakes" with a cookie cutter. they then apply a crumb coat (a thin layer of butter cream frosting) and chill it. Then they apply more frosting and fondant. If you don't like the look of fondant, you could probably just use butter cream, but it wouldn't have the ultra smooth "designer" look. You could also make a chocolate ganache (melted chocolate and cream that's provides a thin but ultra smooth and glossy finish to the cake) to frost them with.

Maybe you could try a test run at home with a small cake to assess how long it will actually take you to make them?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I''m not sure where you''d get the fondant. You might have to order it online and it''s heavy, so expect a lot of shipping costs. If there''s a bakery supply store near you they should carry it, but some places like this won''t sell to consumers. Sorry to be a debbie downer. I think the concept is cool though!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
fondant is known for not tasting great... you''d be best using a butter cream.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Well the picture won''t attach for some reason...anyway I think I saw fondant for sale in Michael''s craft store, is that possible? Maybe I was thinking of something else. I was talking with my FMIL and she thought we could do these for the rehearsal dinner instead of reception favors sice we woudn''t have to make as many. Thanks for your reply!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
HH is right about how they are usually made. It is entirely possible that Michael''s carries fondant these days, but beware that fondant isn''t for amateurs. You will have an extremely hard time making it look nice and smooth without tons of practice.

Is there a craft store in your area that might offer a fondant class? Or would you settle for just doing them with buttercream? It would be a lot easier.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:15:17 AM
Author: tlh
fondant is known for not tasting great... you'd be best using a butter cream.

You haven't had good fondant then
2.gif
- some of the wedding cakes I have tasted latley with fondant have been YUMMMY
18.gif

Though I do agree non good fondant tastes BLAH.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
This may sound crazy but what is buttercream? Is a regular Betty Crocker type frosting or something more elaborate? I''ve never worked with fondant before but I know the temperature has to be just right or the fondant will tear. I like the smooth look of fondant but it sounds like it may be a headache to work with!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 10:49:46 AM
Author: Missy0483
This may sound crazy but what is buttercream? Is a regular Betty Crocker type frosting or something more elaborate? I''ve never worked with fondant before but I know the temperature has to be just right or the fondant will tear. I like the smooth look of fondant but it sounds like it may be a headache to work with!

Buttercream is what you''d find on most wedding cakes, but I don''t know if I''d lump it in with betty crocker frosting! It is a similar consistency though but IMO is far superior. But it''s easy to make and frost with, you just won''t get the smooth look of fondant.

Fondant is really a pain, if it were me I would buy some first and play around with it, I think you''ll quickly change your mind about wanting to work with it...

sugarjo

Shiny_Rock
Small wedding cakes are indeed so lovely, but as I am a pastry chef, I am urging you not to try to work with fondant for the first time for your wedding cake.
Yes fondant will tear, and the brand you''ve seen at Michael''s is not a good one.
If you have your heart set on it, I''d get practicing now, but there are many things to consider:
You can''t use a box cake mix. They are to moist and weak and fondant will be to heavy for them.
The best cakes to use are dense, genoius, pound cake, devil''s food ect.
Store bought icing is also no good, you''d want an smooth french or Italian buttercream.
You can find recipes online for all of the above, Martha Stewart is a great resource.
I''m not trying to disuade you, but if you want a professional cake, it''s best to either, leave it to the professionals or start practicing your skills now. Good luck, if you have any questions and want to give this a try, i''d gladly answer them.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Buttercream is fabulous!! I am making some this weekend, there is nothing in this world better than buttercream!!! Cept diamonds
2.gif

I will have to get the exact quantities when I get home, but it''s just butter, icing sugar, vanilla essence and milk. The trick to great buttercream is to leave the butter on the bench overnight so it''s really soft and mushy. Cold butter won''t take up the correct amount of sugar and it won''t work. Yummy!

On the fondant issue, it''s the almond fondant that tastes yucky. Plain sugar fondant is yummy and doesn''t have the chemical taste that almond stuff has.

You can get buttercream smooth, when you have spread the it over the cake, dip a palette knife in boiling water until it''s warm and smooth over the icing, it will make the icing smooth and shiny. Takes patience though, you need to keep the water boiled after every few minutes, and it''s not an instant thing. Don''t forget to use a thin layer first on the cake to stop the crumbs showing through. Apply a thin layer (no need to smooth) and then set in the fridge before adding the final layer.

Buttercream will only last a few days in the fridge, it can''t be left at room temp. Do you have space to store the completed cakes? It honestly takes ages to do icing on multiple cakes like these and it takes experience to get a professiona finish. Do you have the time and patience to buttercream upteen cakes the day or two before your wedding? They can''t be frozen and I wouldn''t make them more than 2 days before as you don''t want the butter to go rancid. Don''t want to burst your bubble, but I quite often decorate cakes for parties, birthdays etc and it''s not as easy it you think it will be. It''s time consuming and frustrating, even when you have done it before.

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it was going to be for the rehearsal dinner so we would only have to do 20 (hopefully!!) of them. It''s not a definite thing so we''re just getting ideas. I''ve seen where people just cover the cakes in those Wilton candy melts so you don''t have to bother with the icing stuff. Who knows...that could be just as hard and time consuming! Thank you so much for your help!!

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
they sell fondant at wallmart too.
its not so bad once you do it one or two times, just make sure you roll it out thin enough because you dont want thick fondant on your cake. it will be like a giant shell, thats what happend to me the first time. Oh and its easier if the cake is round, instead of square, i did a square cake the first time and it was hard to get the edges nice. The round cake is easy to just smooth on.
theres lots of sites online on how to apply fondant.

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
you could also make cupcakes and decorate them really pretty.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t attempt that without decent baking/pastry experience either. Now buttercream on the other hand...but as sugarjo said, Italian or Swiss buttercream is the best. But it''s not exactly easy to make either.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results