shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Have Experience with False Positive HPT results?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
My DH and I are not TTC (yet) and we track my ovulation to be careful, and abstain during fertility windows. however my usual flow is all over the place and can range from 21 days to over 30.

I had a TERRIBLY short period last cycle (not even a full day, only used 1 Tampon sorry for the TMI)

and I have had sore breasts ALL Month and weird little cramps here and there.

I am about 5 days late this month and took 3 HPT and they all came back positive. I am not sure if they are accurate, because I take advil PM every night to help sleep and I read some drugs like that could give you a false positive, OR the presence of blood or protein could as well (I had a tiny bit of spotting 5 days ago).

I was wondering of anyone else had experience with False positives, could I have had one, or am I expecting?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
False positives are very, very rare. Most of the time the "positive" isn't really a positive but an evap line on the test. Evap lines are gray rather than pink or blue, and are more common in blue dye tests.

True false positives can be caused by all sorts
Of scary stuff. Don't google. But the only way a test will be positive is if it detects HCG in your system, and that is only caused by pregnancy (and the scary Google stuff). Medication will not cause a false positive, unless it's HCG you're taking.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Also- congrats!

If you want to post pics of your tests, I'd be more than happy to tell you if it looks real. But honestly, with three positives I'm sure it's the real deal.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Can you ask your doc for a blood test this week?

In the meantime, I'd take the positive seriously, just in case. And congrats! Sometimes the best developments in life are suprises!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not had a false positive. But I just wanted to comment becuase my DD was a "surprise".

I was on the pill when my dd was conceived. Because of that I never really had a period at all. I can distinctly remember having spotting a few days before I took a HPT. Wasn't at all strong enough to be considered a period, but noticeable.

I'm a firm believer that you know your body. Both times I took a HPT, there was no reason to believe I was pregnant, but yet, I was lol. First time I was on the pill, second time I wasn't even late yet, I just felt like I should take one.

I know I'm rambling, but what I'm getting at is, I bet youe body has a feeling already if its pregnant or not. And as for the test? I agree go to the doctor and get a test. And if you are? Yay! What a lovely surprise ;-)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Here are the 3 tests I took. I had one test that was over a year old that was the first, when it came back positive I went out and bought 2 different brands to see if they would come out the same. Both of these were taken late in the day.

img_2214_0.jpg

I have 2 more that I will take tomorrow, and I will try and make it to the doctor tomorrow for a blood test too.

Thanks AMC80, Niel, Aviastar!

My DH and MIL are less then thrilled but very supportive, and it's only been a few hours so I am guessing it's more shock.
We will see what happens tomorrow!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are totally pregnant!!!! Last months 1 day was probably implantation bleeding or just early spotting!!! If you're 5 days late for your second cycle you may be almost 9 weeks! Call the dr and stop taking advil! Congrats!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was just about to type that false positives are EXTREMELY rare and then I scrolled down and saw your other tests. Those don't lie, especially the digital! I would skip the blood test, honestly. I'd get one of the digitals with the week indicators. They're not the be all, end all, but it can kind of tell you if you're super early or a little further along. They say 1-2 weeks, 2-3 weeks, 3+ weeks. And I agree- if you don't have a confirmed ovulation this month, I would call the doc asap and see if you can get in for a dating scan. And stick to regular Tylenol only, you're not supposed to take Advil.

I know you weren't expecting it, but congratulations! Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy!

**if it makes you feel better, I had a friend last year that had an oops pregnancy and didn't find out until 20 weeks!!!**

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I'm sorry this is probably super stressful. Its a shocking feeling to find yourself in this situation when you weren't trying to be.

Try not to worry too much right now. (Hugs)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
They will get more excited as the shock wears off! And we are all super excited for you!

Those are definitely not evap lines, but clear positives. When I was pregnant last summer and I called my regular doc to ask about some meds, as soon as you drop the word pregnant the receptionist was like OMG, we can see you today, this morning, come in right now! So I bet if you call your OB and tell them about your non period last month they will get you in for a dating scan ASAP.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1424641079|3836586 said:
Gosh, I'm sorry this is probably super stressful. Its a shocking feeling to find yourself in this situation when you weren't trying to be.

I mean we were planning on kids in the future, so this is just super fast tracked! Stressful, I'm sure. But even planned I am sure pregnancies are stressful. So I know I'll be good. Thank you!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! This was a huge surprise today. But if I am pregnant I am hoping for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Which means all those amazing soft artisinal cheeses I bought friday are a no go :rolleyes: :boohoo: ;(

I am going to go to a clinic tomorrow for a blood test (and use my last 2 HPT in the morning with the absence of the nightly advil pm). I think that my DH needs to see the blood test positive before we go to my OBGYN. Is/as soon as I get confirmation I will be calling my OBGYN to schedule appropriate appointment/scans, poking and prodding. huzzah!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1424650366|3836666 said:
Niel|1424641079|3836586 said:

I mean we were planning on kids in the future, so this is just super fast tracked! Stressful, I'm sure. But even planned I am sure pregnancies are stressful. So I know I'll be good. Thank you!

Oh sure, any pregnancy is stressful, but surprise ones? Even more lol. So youre completely justified in your mini freak out. Just think of it this way - now you just get to love this peanut a little sooner. And you don't have to go though the stress of TTC

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett said:
Thanks everyone! This was a huge surprise today. But if I am pregnant I am hoping for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Which means all those amazing soft artisinal cheeses I bought friday are a no go :rolleyes: :boohoo: ;( I am going to go to a clinic tomorrow for a blood test (and use my last 2 HPT in the morning with the absence of the nightly advil pm). I think that my DH needs to see the blood test positive before we go to my OBGYN. Is/as soon as I get confirmation I will be calling my OBGYN to schedule appropriate appointment/scans, poking and prodding. huzzah!

If your cheese was bought at a store in the US, it is pasteurized and okay to eat :)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1424657172|3836715 said:
ckrickett said:
Thanks everyone! This was a huge surprise today. But if I am pregnant I am hoping for a healthy pregnancy and baby. Which means all those amazing soft artisinal cheeses I bought friday are a no go :rolleyes: :boohoo: ;( I am going to go to a clinic tomorrow for a blood test (and use my last 2 HPT in the morning with the absence of the nightly advil pm). I think that my DH needs to see the blood test positive before we go to my OBGYN. Is/as soon as I get confirmation I will be calling my OBGYN to schedule appropriate appointment/scans, poking and prodding. huzzah!

If your cheese was bought at a store in the US, it is pasteurized and okay to eat :)

Check your packages, cause many of them are but my Wegmans carries several that are not. And the local goat cheese farm is definitely not. But the goat cheese on my favorite dish at a restaurant in town is- I checked :D , so there are many you can still indulge in!

DNB

Rough_Rock
ckrickett|1424639639|3836572 said:
Here are the 3 tests I took. I had one test that was over a year old that was the first, when it came back positive I went out and bought 2 different brands to see if they would come out the same. Both of these were taken late in the day.

img_2214_0.jpg

I have 2 more that I will take tomorrow, and I will try and make it to the doctor tomorrow for a blood test too.

My DH and MIL are less then thrilled but very supportive, and it's only been a few hours so I am guessing it's more shock.

Sorry, but this struck me. Not your MIL's business. My boys are grown (29 and 31) and if they told me they and their wives ( only one in this case is married) were expecting I would be thrilled, but in no way would it be my business otherwise. Can I ask why your MIL even knows at this point?

Otherwise, congratulations. You have 3 positive tests. You're pregnant. And, you can't sweat what you've done up to this point. Many babies are surprises and moms have drank, smoked, taken medication, eaten things they shouldn't, etc early on with no issues. BTW, when I had my boys there was no restrictions on soft cheeses or deli meats and they are fine.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
DNB|1424664220|3836755 said:
ckrickett|1424639639|3836572 said:

img_2214_0.jpg

Sorry, but this struck me. Not your MIL's business. My boys are grown (29 and 31) and if they told me they and their wives ( only one in this case is married) were expecting I would be thrilled, but in no way would it be my business otherwise. Can I ask why your MIL even knows at this point?

Otherwise, congratulations. You have 3 positive tests. You're pregnant. And, you can't sweat what you've done up to this point. Many babies are surprises and moms have drank, smoked, taken medication, eaten things they shouldn't, etc early on with no issues. BTW, when I had my boys there was no restrictions on soft cheeses or deli meats and they are fine.

Yeah of course. ::)

See We live with her sort of. She has a large sized property with 2 historic houses built on it (her dad and granddad built them) We live in one, she lives in the other. We ALL work from home so we see each other every day (which is great, she is a lovely woman)

She knows by accident, because I blurted something out to my DH in the yard and she heard since she was talking to him (but was hidden to me by bushes). We had talked to try for a baby in 2-3 years and since she would be helping us raise baby (working from home takes up a lot of time) we wanted to plan to where it would be the best for all of us. Since this was a surprise, and she found out very matter of factly she was shocked, and not angry just well shocked. Especially since this next year is going to be super busy for her traveling and research wise, and she expressed a great interest in enjoying my pregnancy with me when it would happen, and now she won't be able to because of work. I understand her feelings completely. As my DH and I are between insurances now too, she would be helping cover Drs costs until we got that settled as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
took the other 2 this morning without taking any nighttime meds and came back positive, so I have an appointment with the OBGYN for tomorrow to do a blood test to see if I have high enough levels for an ultrasound!

Thanks for the support!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1424660658|3836727 said:
ckrickett said:

Check your packages, cause many of them are but my Wegmans carries several that are not. And the local goat cheese farm is definitely not. But the goat cheese on my favorite dish at a restaurant in town is- I checked :D , so there are many you can still indulge in!

I will! I got a saffron black truffle goat cheese I was super excited about. If I can eat that I will be dancing all over the house! :dance:

April20

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1424702448|3836888 said:
aviastar|1424660658|3836727 said:
ckrickett said:

I will! I got a saffron black truffle goat cheese I was super excited about. If I can eat that I will be dancing all over the house! :dance:

Definitely check those labels. I've found that sometimes the label doesn't say pasteurized, but if you read the ingredient list, it will say raw or pasteurized goat/sheep/cow milk. It'd be a shame to not eat it if you can!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I'm so new to this I have a lot of questions.

I am having some mild (almost tightness) cramping up my right side. Is this normal? should I mention it to my doctor tomorrow?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1424753102|3837326 said:

I am having some mild (almost tightness) cramping up my right side. Is this normal? should I mention it to my doctor tomorrow?

Congrats! Cramping is normal, but anything you feel is weird is worth a mention to your doctor.

Best wishes for a healthy and normal pregnancy, plus labor and delivery! I know it's a big surprise, but you seem to be handling it well and I think you're in good company as several of us over the years have had "omg, really?!" moments and gone on to have the lights of our lives join us in 8-9 months. Once the initial shock wears off, it's fun planning and I bet you'll love it. Happy for you! :wavey:

April20

Ideal_Rock

I had a lot of that the first few weeks. I had almost a stabbing like pain (though not severe). I think it was probably just stretching for me. If you're concerned, definitely mention it to your doctor.

Oh, and I also felt on several different days like I'd been kicked in the crotch by someone with very pointy shoes. AMC assured me it was normal. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1424761518|3837348 said:

Congrats! Cramping is normal, but anything you feel is weird is worth a mention to your doctor.

Best wishes for a healthy and normal pregnancy, plus labor and delivery! I know it's a big surprise, but you seem to be handling it well and I think you're in good company as several of us over the years have had "omg, really?!" moments and gone on to have the lights of our lives join us in 8-9 months. Once the initial shock wears off, it's fun planning and I bet you'll love it. Happy for you! :wavey:

+1

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett, congratulations. Good luck at the doctor today. I have a friend who didn't know she was pregnant until she was 5 months along! Feel free to join the Just Barely pregnant thread so you can commiserate with fellow newly pregnant ladies. I am one, but afraid to go to that thread yet. Maybe after my next beta which is tomorrow.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
April20 said:
I had a lot of that the first few weeks. I had almost a stabbing like pain (though not severe). I think it was probably just stretching for me. If you're concerned, definitely mention it to your doctor. Oh, and I also felt on several different days like I'd been kicked in the crotch by someone with very pointy shoes. AMC assured me it was normal. :))

Ah, the kicked in the crotch thing. Pregnancy is full of fun and scary pains. Definitely mention anything that concerns you to your doc.

BTW- my iPhone tried to change "kicked" to "licked." Totally different sensation :-0

MuffDog

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread :) First up - congratulations!! You are totally KTFU!!! It sounds like you have made the turn from disbelief, to shock and now excitement. Do you think you could guess how far along you are based on your last period/ etc?

PS I particular like this because I'm one of those crazies who pees on tests all the time and will do crazy things to see if there is a second line and then wonder if it is real or not. Love that you got to skip that crazy part and just get nice blazing lines!! All good signs for a strong pregnancy so far :)

Enjoy this time! And yeah - the cheese is probably fine :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Should get results of blood work tomorrow, and go for ultrasound thursday. :twirl:

April20

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1424807653|3837604 said:
Should get results of blood work tomorrow, and go for ultrasound thursday. :twirl:

Yay! We are all excited for you! Can't wait to hear about the U/S results.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
MuffDog|1424794920|3837499 said:
This is a great thread :) First up - congratulations!! You are totally KTFU!!! It sounds like you have made the turn from disbelief, to shock and now excitement. Do you think you could guess how far along you are based on your last period/ etc?

PS I particular like this because I'm one of those crazies who pees on tests all the time and will do crazy things to see if there is a second line and then wonder if it is real or not. Love that you got to skip that crazy part and just get nice blazing lines!! All good signs for a strong pregnancy so far :)

Enjoy this time! And yeah - the cheese is probably fine :)

I thought I was 6-7 but my DR thinks that tomorrow will be the beginning of week 9. I get results of blood work tomorrow, and U/S on thursday so that should let me know if the baby is alright and growing (I'm majorly worried about a MC) AND should get me a good estimate of how far along I am.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results