shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone have code on mars?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The helicopter flying around on mars is running Linux and many many years ago I submitted a bug report and a one character fix to a developer when I was running a testing kernel. It may still be in the kernel
Technically I own the copyright to that one character if its still there.
So I may have a ; on mars.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. :clap:

Karl, you should send an Octavia to Mars. :dance:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool stuff. What Linux distro?

I've toyed with a few different distro's on both Win & Apple machines, but just enough to be dangerous....to myself, lol.

I did help beta test OS X for Apple, although I'm pretty sure a few million others did also. And I've beta tested some smaller programs as well.

Nothing nearly as cool as having your own code on Mars. By chance, did you write in a back door so we can hack them and see what the hell they are really up to? :eek2::lol-2:

Aerielle Max

Shiny_Rock
How did you know that its Linux? I'm curious :twisted2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now you have at least 2 claims to fame! (that puts you 2 ahead of me :shifty:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The helicopter flying around on mars is running Linux and many many years ago I submitted a bug report and a one character fix to a developer when I was running a testing kernel. It may still be in the kernel
Technically I own the copyright to that one character if its still there.
So I may have a ; on mars.

:appl:
You’ll have to check and tell us if your fix is in the latest kernel!! That’s a Big Deal!! :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool stuff. What Linux distro?
''''''''

Nothing nearly as cool as having your own code on Mars. By chance, did you write in a back door so we can hack them and see what the hell they are really up to? :eek2::lol-2:
Debian but the bug was in the Linux Kernel.
Back then there were just a few distros compared to the thousands today.
lol no backdoor but that would be kewl to be the overlord of mars!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
:appl:
You’ll have to check and tell us if your fix is in the latest kernel!! That’s a Big Deal!! :bigsmile:
I thought about it but I dont remember enough details to check so I will just keep on day dreaming that it is :}

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know a guy who has a 3rd generation machine shop, his grandpa made parts that are on the moon and his dad made parts that are on the shuttles and space station and he made parts that are on mars.
That makes me jealous!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations. :clap:

Karl, you should send an Octavia to Mars. :dance:
that would be way kewl, put it in orbit and mars would look like it had 2 suns from the surface.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a guy who has a 3rd generation machine shop, his grandpa made parts that are on the moon and his dad made parts that are on the shuttles and space station and he made parts that are on mars.
That makes me jealous!

All about perspective....

But never let that stand in the way of your natural mojo....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K Had the random thought that hopefully you're not from University of Minnesota :eek-2:

Wonder if that programme thinks it was worth having the whole university's credibility in tech scraped through the mud for the next decade at minimum. Every current student and professor in that department is going to suffer, and they're going to be losing future talent for a long long time. This is idiocy redefined.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K This is idiocy redefined.
As long as everyone gets a trophy its all that matters these days right?

I'm not a programmer, just dabbled here n there at that time finding the missing ; was about the extent of my skills in anything as complex as the kernel. Now days I probably forgot most of it.
It is far more complex today than back then but there is a surprising amount of code from that time still in the kernel.

beatricecrummles

Rough_Rock
Wow, that's quite a deal there man! What things you are up to now?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results