shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Have An Excel Spreadsheet For Their Jewelry?

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DH and I are making a will and he says I should make an inventory of my jewelry so the executor can give the jewelry to the appropriate people. I know this sounds like I have a lot, but before I got married I had a little collection going (nothing huge, just .50tcw diamond pendants, pearl earrings, eternity bands, etc).

What have people done to inventory their jewelry? Just a spreadsheet of their items? Do you also put pictures of it in the spreadsheet?

TIA!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a spreadsheet. I need to update it. I list what it is and what I paid for it. If you are including it with a will it is probably a good idea to include a picture.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I have an excel spreadsheet of my jewelry and a spreadsheet of the items I have bought from Wink. We also have everything in the house on an Access database along with photos of the important things. A hardcopy listing is stored offsite, and an encrypted version is on a USB stick that I carry around in my purse. That also includes scans of all of our important documents.
After my neighbors suffered an 2-alarm fire they told me the most difficult thing for them was to remember what they had.
Ladies out there, you will be surprised of how much all your bras cost. :mrgreen2:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a spreadsheet of all my jewelry, description and what I paid for it. I have also taken photos of all pieces, sales receipts and certs. I was very surprised at the total value. My next task is to add a column for who will inherit each piece when the time comes. =)

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I keep meaning to but have been putting it off because I'm fairly sure once it is all documented, along with the values, my husband is going to realise just how much of my salary goes on bling - then he'll divorce me....:Up_to_something:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a good idea but too exhausting when I think of doing it lol. I am leaving all my jewelry to my sister and my nieces so they can decide amongst themselves what they want and I doubt there will be any discord. One day if I get the energy I will make an inventory however as I do like that idea. Plus I have a feeling it will be like shopping in my closet for clothes. Shopping in my safes for bling haha as I am quite sure I don't remember everything I have.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I really ought to! I wrote my jewelry inventory out on a stack of Post-It Notes about a year ago and they're just hanging around on a shelf in my closet!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a spreadsheet of all my jewelry, description and what I paid for it. I have also taken photos of all pieces, sales receipts and certs. I was very surprised at the total value. My next task is to add a column for who will inherit each piece when the time comes. =)

Did you put the photos in the spreadsheet?

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi LuckyH, I did not put photos in the spreadsheet but they are in the same folder. That is a great idea though!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting post. Yes I have a spreadsheet. Appraisals and lab reports are kept in a file. The last year I have been selling my jewelry and will continue to sell until I get down to maybe 10 pieces. After I die my kids won't want my jewelry expect the nicest pieces and having so much jewelry has been bothering me lately.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I have an excel spreadsheet of my jewelry and a spreadsheet of the items I have bought from Wink. We also have everything in the house on an Access database along with photos of the important things. A hardcopy listing is stored offsite, and an encrypted version is on a USB stick that I carry around in my purse. That also includes scans of all of our important documents.
After my neighbors suffered an 2-alarm fire they told me the most difficult thing for them was to remember what they had.
Ladies out there, you will be surprised of how much all your bras cost. :mrgreen2:

Cflutist, yes, bras and panties add up to a LOT more than you think. I did a spreadsheet for my contents insurance, and I had/have a serious underwear/bra/corset habit; the retail value for those items nearly matched my jewellery collection. The insurance broker was slightly taken aback. He then kept staring at my chest, desperately trying to get superman style x-ray vision, probably just to see what £$€¥ of lingerie looked like. :oops:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A spreadsheet sounds like a great idea! But it gives me heartburn just thinking about having to make one, especially one of ALL of our possessions! :knockout: Thank g-d my undies are cheap!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm populating my spreadsheet and am gobsmacked at how much jewelry I've accumulated over the years! I found pieces that I totally forgot about :-o

And on top of that I've been making an inventory on my purses. I'm feel like Carrie on SATC - "I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet." I don't have that many clothes shoes per se, it's more like my money is hiding in my jewelry box and sitting in their original boxes (purses)!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm populating my spreadsheet and am gobsmacked at how much jewelry I've accumulated over the years! I found pieces that I totally forgot about :-o

And on top of that I've been making an inventory on my purses. I'm feel like Carrie on SATC - "I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet." I don't have that many clothes shoes per se, it's more like my money is hiding in my jewelry box and sitting in their original boxes (purses)!
I remember that SATC episode!!! There must be some awesome treasures in your spreadsheet!:love::love::love: I haven't started my spreadsheet but was making a mental list last night. After jewelry, my next of monetary value possessions are my bags. I still remember when I first met you, you told me to only buy Chanel. If only I'd followed your advice earlier...Those prices have risen more than most stocks? :P2

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for jewelry (I can't believe this) but for my gemstones I do

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember that SATC episode!!! There must be some awesome treasures in your spreadsheet!:love::love::love: I haven't started my spreadsheet but was making a mental list last night. After jewelry, my next of monetary value possessions are my bags. I still remember when I first met you, you told me to only buy Chanel. If only I'd followed your advice earlier...Those prices have risen more than most stocks? :P2

I wouldn't say there are awesome treasures, but more pieces that are sentimental to me and reminded me of how happy I was to be working on a new project!

And yes Chanel keeps going up in price even though their quality has gone down a little bit. I streamlined my purse collection and now have basics. I haven't purchased a new Chanel bag in a long time. But I'm happy with what I have, and have even dipped my toe into Dior. I have a Diorama cross body bag which IMO is made way better than the Chanel Boy.

Which reminds me, I found left hand pinky rings that I don't wear anymore (size 3/4!), so I'm off to get them resized for my right hand at a local jeweler in SF. I just need to find one lol.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I have a spreadsheet that includes a detailed list of my jewelry and watches and hubby's watches including the amount paid, the appraisal price, insured value with inflation adjustment and inflation adjustment amount. I also keep separate files on each piece that includes the receipt for each item, the appraisal and pictures in case it is ever needed for insurance purposes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results