shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone grow thier own bouquet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I may be out of my mind but I went to our local flower farm yesterday and bought 2 Dahlia bulbs and a huge planter and soil and the other stuff the woman told me to get. I''m actually going to try to grow my own bouquet
9.gif

I figure if I fail at it, I still have always wanted to learn how to grow flowers anyway so the learning process will be useful. And if the timing is off and they bloom too early or too late, well, I''ll order 30 mini callas and be done with it :) These dalias are so full and mostly white with purpley pink centers. (They simulate the peony in a way) The package calls them Evangelines. I can''t find a pic of them on google so maybe that''s not thier real name? Anyhow, I''m so excited!

FI and I are also going to start some cosmos (also the more full, double bloomed ones) inside until it is warm enough to go out :)

I would love to know I actually grew my own flowers for my bouquet :)

I really just wanted to share that, but if any of you have tales of success or woe, I''m open to hearing about it :)

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
ha... well, can I go ahead and call you crazy???
2.gif

I think it's a wonderful idea in theory, but honestly, there are so many chances for it to go wrong, I wouldn't count on your flowers being ready at the exact moment you needed them.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So Happy, I''ve grown just about nothing so can''t help you with this one but I''ll cheer you on!
I love Cosmos and did my best searching around to get them for the wedding but no luck. I saw a great pic of various pink and white flowers with a white ribbon tied around the stems.. so simple and pretty and seemed perfect for an outdoor wedding. That was one of my inspirations to do my own flowers. The pic also has some simple instructions on how to tie the ribbon. I''ll add it in to the DIY flowers thread one of these days soon.
Good luck!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, sorry to say this but not a good idea. I plant lots of flowers so you never know when they will bloom. In theory it sounds good, but I wouldn''t chance it. Best of luck; shop around I bet you will find a great florist!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not going to put all my eggs in this particular basket, but I figured if I''m going to grow some flowers, why not the ones I lust after with all this bouquet research
1.gif

(I almost picked up a peony bush, too but wanted to pace myself lol)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
by all means go for it but DO have plan B in place just in case...

i''m a gardener and you never know when stuff is going to bloom for you. my stuff NEVER blooms when the packages or the internet or whatever the book says it will. i had daffodils blooming like a month ago but i have random stragglers coming up now as well in my area. i had a rose or two back in feb, i have some coming up to bloom soon and some that won''t bloom for another month or two. it depends on your climate and also your micro-climate within your area as well. also something like a cold night can throw off timing, or a too hot week or something as well.

but you sound like you know there could be a very good possibility it won''t work out, so i would go for it and see what happens but be sure to have a solid Plan B in place and don''t be too disappointed if it doesn''t work out. good luck!

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hey So Happy,

I''d have to say that I''m doing that too, hehe. I have calla lilies in the pot that are sprouting now, pink dahlias too. I''m so excited. And I already have some David Austin roses. I know I probably won''t end up using the flowers cause what''s the chance they''ll bloom exactly when I need them? But it''ll still be fun. My FI has a very green thumb and a garden full of English roses. We plan to strip them for the wedding.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's a very cute idea--the other posters did make the point already that the timing of the blooms may be way off, but you mentioned in your first post that you knew that was likely to be the case.

I think that even though you won't be able to depend of them making up your actual bouquet, when they do bloom it will be a nice little preview or reminder of your wedding-day flowers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results