shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone going to propose to him?

MqLove

Rough_Rock
With today being the 29th of Feb, when women are traditionally allowed to propose, is any LIW going to?

I was a LIW for many years (not on PS, only discovered it doing engagement ring shopping 9months ago, we've now been dating 8 years), and if it hadn't have happened already, I think I would have seriously considered it!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I am engaged, so I'm probably not the person you wanted to hear from, but I thought I'd give my opinion on this. I would never propose to a man. Put simply, it is because I wouldn't want to marry someone who isn't going to put in the effort. I think that nowadays with all the man-children running around it's important to me for my future husband to prove his thoughtfulness, devotion, and commitment to our relationship both emotionally and financially. I think proposal is a natural way to accomplish this.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Nope! Today is just another day for us.

This, of course, is not true of all guys, but generally speaking I think most men would feel like you took something away from them if you asked before they did. I know not everyone is about tradition and that, as kenny would say, "people vary", but most men are very proud of getting the ring and asking. Especially when EVERYONE asks how HE asked, etc etc after the fact.

I would never want my BF to feel snubbed or like I took something from him. We are working together on the ring/purchase as it is, and a lot of guys feel like that can ruin an element of the whole thing in it of itself, I'd never want to intentionally step on his toes beyond this point.

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
I was under the impression traditionally speaking you could only do it in Ireland, and if the female proposes the man has to say yes!... or he gets charged?(correct me if I'm wrong)
I won't, he knows how I feel.. and if he doesn't want to propose he's not ready. I would like to take the ball out of his court though and really see how he feels about marriage, instead of all the talk he does.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
inflorescence|1330529936|3137295 said:
I was under the impression traditionally speaking you could only do it in Ireland, and if the female proposes the man has to say yes!... or he gets charged?(correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm Irish, living in Ireland and I've never heard that one!
The only tradition thing that I've ever heard in relation to leap day proposals is that if the man says no he has to buy the girl 12 pairs of gloves so she can cover up her unengaged finger!

audball

Ideal_Rock
bee*|1330531177|3137314 said:

I'm Irish, living in Ireland and I've never heard that one!
The only tradition thing that I've ever heard in relation to leap day proposals is that if the man says no he has to buy the girl 12 pairs of gloves so she can cover up her unengaged finger!
Both of those are interesting!

This website confirms bee*'s take on it:
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/leap-day-february-29.html Interesting stuff!

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
so I guess there used to be a fine...

• It has been claimed that the tradition of women proposing on February 29 was initiated by Saint Patrick in 5th century Ireland. However, the tradition has not been confirmed before the 19th century.

• Supposedly a 1288 law by Queen Margaret of Scotland required that fines be levied if a marriage proposal was refused by the man. Compensation in order to soften the blow ranged from a kiss to £1 to a silk gown.

• In the 17th century women planning to take advantage of their opportunity to propose were expected to wear a scarlet petticoat - perhaps to act as a warning!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Leap-Year-Bride-popped-question-Bristol/story-15343045-detail/story.html

Guess I should get a scarlet petticoat?! hahaha...

There is a lot of interesting traditions, supposedly Greek people find it bad luck to marry on a leap year...

This was a good read:
http://www.irishexaminer.com/features/go-get-him-girl-185405.html

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very interesting!! I wonder why 12 pairs of gloves :)

atp223

Shiny_Rock
I won't, he knows how I feel.. and if he doesn't want to propose he's not ready. I would like to take the ball out of his court though and really see how he feels about marriage, instead of all the talk he does.

Inflorescence/spg - reading this makes me sad, because you seem like such a sweet girl, and so accommodating, and based on some of your recent posts I feel like the whole whether you get married "ball" should be in YOUR court rather than his, since he is the one being so demanding with the stipulations. I hope things are going well for you guys though, and that he comes around soon!

MqLove

Rough_Rock
Reading everyone's replies has made me remember, most ladies here have, in a way, proposed to their SO - in that they've expressed their interest to get married when their SO proposes, and doing a formal proposal would only rush them and take the decision out of their hands. This was certainly the case for me, and if I'd have thought about that and not LIW-itis, I guess I wouldn't have.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I proposed - years ago and not on a leap year. I want him to put in the effort, but it's a shared thing so I expected to put in the effort as well. And I don't feel I took anything from him by proposing. We are in this relationship together. It's funny how some things we still adhere to traditions when those traditions don't necessarily serve either party.

Sun-Shine

Rough_Rock
I would LOVE to witness it..... But wouldn't do it personally, only because I know my guy is quite keen on doing it, and I am keen on getting the ring! Otherwise I'm all for equal-opportunity proposals :)

I do know a guy that wears an e-ring, but she didn't propose.

Addy- Did you get down on one knee??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results