shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone from Austin out there?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
SO and I are planning a weekend getaway in November. We thought of Austin, as we've never been there and it's in driving distance from Houston where we live.

I will be taking the dog with us, of course! (if worse comes to worse, we'll find a motel 6 to stay in since they're pet friendly)

I'm looking for some advice of good things to see/do, where to stay, where to eat. I've been looking a little bit online and am not seeing anything that stands out other than the bats!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hi! I am not in Austin anymore (sadly) but I grew up there.

As far as things to do...what are you looking for?

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1316484788|3021090 said:
hi! I am not in Austin anymore (sadly) but I grew up there.

As far as things to do...what are you looking for?

I would like a dog-friendly activity...such as a nice hike or park (I know there are several in the area)
But I'm also open to non-dog things to do. Shopping? Like cool/artsy/unique marketplaces?
Anything! :))

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
well, Oasis is always a nice place to see the lake and sunset along with live band. I have to check with my FI about park since he is the active one who mountain bike with our dog :Up_to_something: if you guys r up for some country dancing you can always join us for a free country dance lesson friday night at this country dance club we go every week :bigsmile: ahhhhh, I guess I'm just such a boring person that I can't think of anything right now... :blackeye:

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Eat at Hula Hut (tubular tacos! queso! drinks! on the lake!)!
And Guerro's
And Juan in a Million (the don juan)
And South Congress Cafe (brunch)...
And Magnolia cafe (the queso.. the gingerbread pancakes.. not together!)
And get BBQ at the salt lick...
And.. And..
I miss Austin terribly :(

Rent a kayak and go down the lake (used to be Town Lake.. Now it's maybe Lady Bird Johnson Lake or something..) Ride a bike around town...

Shop along South Congress.. Try the trucks of food across the street from the shops!

Go to any local coffee shop and just people watch...

4th street or west 6th at night for older folks (aka over 25)...
The Elephant Room on congress is awesome for live jazz...

Take the dogs to Zilker park... Or any park really.. there are tons!
As far as hiking, there are trails I have just never been so I'm not sure where!! Maybe off of 360 or out off 2222..

Can I come with you?? Haha jk.. It's a great city and I hope y'all have an awesome trip!!

Also, depending on what you want.. There are UT games in town the 5th and 19th.. So catch a game if you want! Otherwise, just don't go the 5th.. That's UT vs Tech and all those silly red raiders take over!! No home game the 12th so that weekend will be less crowded!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklyheart, thanks for the great advice! You're right up my alley with the food recommendations. I can't wait!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
check out south congress for eclectic shopping :)

hike mt. bonnell

eat at
-maudie's tex mex
-county line or salt lick (need bbq)
-juan in a million
-amy's ice cream!

walk around the UT campus area

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
Mount Bonnell, East Side Show Room, Magnolia Cafe, Hey Cupcake!, shops along South Congress (don't miss Parts and Labor), Clay Pit if you like Indian, drive down 2222, Hula Hut, Zilker Park for the puppy and they have a natural spring at the park you can swim in (Barton Spring) if it's still warm enough when you go...

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone eaten at Hudson's on the Bend? The menu looks delicious!

And has anyone stayed at/heard anything about Hotel Allandale? It is dog friendly and looks cute.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
We live around there!

I'd recommend Zilker park for the doggie.

Restaurants:
The Oasis is nice because of the beautiful sunset but the one time I went parking was atrocious(had to catch a golf cart to get to the place because we parked so far away... I think they were adding parking but not sure if its done yet?) and it was really busy.

Trudy's is one of my favorite tex-mex places and there are multiple locations! If you go, try the stuffed avocado w/suiza sauce!

The Saltlick is great but make sure you go to the original in Driftwood. There is also one in Round Rock but you don't get the same atmosphere. Also, I know the Driftwood one is BYOB so lots of people bring mini coolers. Be prepared for long waits but they DO often have live music while you wait. Not sure about the RR location.

Alot of people love 6th street at night but its not really our thing.

The Domain is nice to stroll, shop and have coffee. Lots of people bring their pets although they can't go in the shops for the most part. We like going to the original section where Tiffany's, LV, and Anthropologie are located. The other/newer side is more for the younger(highschoolish) crowd in my opinion.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Used to live there for grad school and loved it.

Hudson on the Bend has amazing food BUT it's pretty far out from downtown Austin, up by The Oasis on the lake. Worth it, but just letting you know it's a drive.

My faves:

Tex-Mex:
Trudy's (best Mexican Margaritas)
Guero's- on South Congress

Dinner:
Moonshine
Vespaio- AMAZING Italian food, but a bit more foodie (not just pasta). No reservations but worth the wait. On South Congress, great people watching and walking up and down the street
Salt Lick for BBQ- as someone said, definitely the one out in Dripping Springs, BYOB
Jeffrey's- Expensive but yummy. Try the fried oysters

Brunch/Breakfast:
Breakfast tacos at Taco Express- if you go on Sunday, it's "Hippie Church" where they have bands singing folk and gospel music. Huge outdoor patio that's dog friendly
Magnolia Cafe or Kirby's for pancakes
Z Tejas- more of a real brunch, fantastic Bloody Mary's; outdoor patio is under this huge tree, but don't think you can bring dogs

Hula Hut is great for drinks by the lake- food isn't so great. I also think Oasis has amazing sunsets, but food is meh.

Now I'm dreaming of a visit...

Have fun, let us know what you did!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies, everybody! I've put together a pretty long list of great ideas for our Austin weekend. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results