shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever used Accutane for Acne??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
My FI has had bad acne all his life. He has tried Proactiv, and it''s ok, but he has it pretty seriously. He has taken all sorts of meds for it that work a little - but his dermatologist says Accutane can CURE Acne. I am very wary about it. Cure it? I just doubt it for some reason. But if you have ever used it, MY LORD it is scary to read the warning labels plastered all over it, isn''t it? Especially the warnings for pregnant women!

We are getting married in 5 months and he will be off it finally the week before our wedding. In the meantime, He can''t drink, he can''t get me pregnant (which we aren''t wanting that yet anyways), and we have to watch him for depression. It''s nuts! I have seen SOME improvement, and he has been on it like a week I think.

I just hope this stuff leaves the bloodstream soon after it is stopped. Especially if he has to have another round of treatment - because I do not want our future babies to suffer from birth defects from it! :(

Anyone have any stories to share or words of encouragement in telling me this may actually help cure his acne for good? :(

THANKS in ADVANCE!

amelade

Rough_Rock
Hello

Accutane does work for even the worst cases of cystic acne. It does have serious side effects though. Stay out of the sun! Get your blood tests done to keep an eye on anything raising that shouldn't. Accutane therapy isn't pleasant, you peel EVERYWHERE. But it will clear it up, completely? For good? Cure? Depends on the person but it did wonders for me. Good luck to you and your FI.

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Paula Begoun has a book, "The Beauty Bible", which should be at your local library, where she spends several pages describing her experience with Accutane. She is a beauty expert/makeup artist, and she took Accutane when nothing else worked. After reading about her experience and other information online, I really wanted to take Accutane myself, but I only get small breakouts, I don't really have bad acne. I would definitely jump at the chance to take it though! I think the short-term risk, when a person is serious about taking necessary precautions, beats the hell out of 10-20 more years or even a lifetime of fighting acne!

Kristin

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
Well he gets back cyctic acne on his back and neck. His pores on his face seem to be smaller and smoother already, which is good. I just hope he doesn't have any long term effects from it. He will be monitored closely. I just worry about him...but he needs to do something because his skin is awful from years of this problem.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On

I just hope this stuff leaves the bloodstream soon after it is stopped. Especially if he has to have another round of treatment - because I do not want our future babies to suffer from birth defects from it! :(

THANKS in ADVANCE!
----------------

Your future babies will be fine
9.gif
! Pregnant WOMEN taking accutane are the ones who cause the birth defect risk, not men taking it. . .but, the best way of easing your mind would be sure to use plenty of protection for THREE months AFTER your FI stops taking accutane to be sure all new "critters," - lol - have been created.

Michelle

wallace

Shiny_Rock
Hey Dancin Girl

I want to second the recommendation for Paula Begoun's book (if you wanted to buy it's less expensive at her site www.cosmeticssop.com). Just go read it at the bookstore! I am happy that someone already mentioned it - My FI had skin issues, too and now he looks and feels a lot better. My old roomate was a dermatologist and was less helpful than this book! I know several dermies who went into the field b/c of severe acne issues and even Paula! These people all seem to agree that finding an aggressive dermatologist is what finally helped them most.

It is very important to be fully informed, by practitioner and by self, about any course of treatment. I wanted to recommend Paula becuase she does just what PS does! I think the people who are attracted to PS will appreciate her thorough, honest approach.

She has her own line of skin care but her book is not an advertisement for it - in fact, the book came out long before. Her book Don't got to the Cosmetics Counter without Me has detailed descriptions of the ingrediants in many cosmetic formulations including the prescription ones. Chapters on Accutane in both books are very useful as an objective starting place for understanding accutane therapy.

PS - I like it that she also prints a list of companies that do not test on animals
appl.gif
and the specific ones that do
angryfire.gif
angryfire.gif
!

It sounds like it is working for him... best wishes!

ShopDiva

Rough_Rock
My fiance' was on accutane twice in high school . By now you've noticed that their faces get extremely red and dry. It works, but the second time he was on it for his back (cystic also) he got REALLY moody. It will pass, but hopefully he won't be red for the wedding 5 mo eeks!
eek.gif
21.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
actually, I am vain enough to have had absolutely minor acne (not anymore), and considered Accutane. Michelle said it is dangerous for pregnant women, but last I checked it was also dangerous for women who are CONSIDERING becoming pregnant, and the effects and birth defects can manifest for up to a year AFTER use. They suggest waiting a year after medication stops to try having children.

The effects for men and contributing to child birth are lower, however they do include the same restrictiong, just in case. Accutane has always been odd, because my friend who had cystic acne was DYING to use it. His research turned uo that it work great for some people and others have experienced the following: Dryness of skin, and bodily fluids, cracked skin, dry scalp, itchy painful skin, mood swings, and some stomach and digestive problems. I was told that Accutane has been linked to irradic and suicidal behaviour.

I will never recommend it, personally. Any medicine that strong can't be good for the body. My friend DID get cortizone shots on the cystic areas and they lost their swell and became totally unnoticeable.

However, considering risks and perhaps medical improvements, if your FI's case TRULY warrants it, and you are willing to take a bit of a risk, then it is the fastest and easiest way to get rid of cystic acne.

Good luck either way and sometimes, people do have hromonal shifts. My brother had flawless skin as a teen. Around 21 BAD cystic acne all over hit. At 28 it stopped entirely and he's as smooth as a peach! Go figure! Have you tried shifts in dieting, drinking lots of water, facial maintenance, and holistic treatments?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/22/2004 2:51:33 PM Nicrez wrote:

actually, I am vain enough to have had absolutely minor acne (not anymore), and considered Accutane. Michelle said it is dangerous for pregnant women, but last I checked it was also dangerous for women who are CONSIDERING becoming pregnant, and the effects and birth defects can manifest for up to a year AFTER use. They suggest waiting a year after medication stops to try having children.

The effects for men and contributing to child birth are lower, however they do include the same restrictiong, just in case.----------------

Yikes! I had NO idea (obviously).
1.gif
Thanks for correcting me! lol

Pregnancy is kind of scary, if you think about it, with all the enviromental hazards and all that! Glad I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Michelle

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, some of the easiest and quickest ways in life have BIG costs we aren't always aware of at the time...
sad.gif

I was too scared to do it. I didn't know when I would have kids, so I opted, just make sure I am totally safe. I am most likely going to be health obsessed when I am pregnant...

Accutane may be for some, but those who are uncertain of medicines that are that strong, I suggest herbal and nutritional methods first and mostly some patience...
sad.gif

As I see it, acne is a chemical imbalace, and where oil production of that level can be hereditary, there are ways to counter that by what we put in. That's why medically when we alter our levels so drastically, we can do more harm in the long run. Our bodies are very sesitive and not used to medicines (especially these strong ones), so they WILL react, and sometimes badly. Just be careful and good luck!!!

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I had a friend who had some acne. It wasn't a major problem, but she always had a few spots on her face. I ran in to her after not seeing her for a few months and her skin was totally clear and radiant! I asked what her secret was and she said she had started taking vitamin A.

Might be something to check out for some folks with minor acne.

DancinGirl

Shiny_Rock
His is more than minor - it's cyctic..basically very painful sores that pop up on his neck and back mostly. Some on his face, but those aren't usually AS bad.

Since being on Accutane for almost 2 weeks now, he has noticed a lot drier skin, dry lips, and started getting nose bleeds last few days. I DO notice a difference in his skin's appearance. His pores look smaller and his skin smoother looking on his face. He still has sores, but that may take awhile.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/23/2004 1:08:02 PM Nicrez wrote:

Sadly, some of
I was too scared to do it. I didn't know when I would have kids, so I opted, just make sure I am totally safe. I am most likely going to be health obsessed when I am pregnant...

----------------

I'm not surprised
1.gif
Most educated women become a bit neurotic while pregnant! lol I was researching non stop for a year before becoming pregnant with my first and during my entire pregnancy ate only organic foods/veggies, tons of omega rich nutritious salmon and healthy free range meats. My kids turned out fairly normal as a result
2.gif
They have WAY too much energy though!

Michelle

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh, sweet sweet accutane. Those were the days. I took one round in college...maybe 10 years ago? OH GOD. Anyhoo- I had some very minor acne. This was before the new accutane guidelines....(I tried to get more before I got married ... went to 3 derms...they wouldn't give it to me...darn it)....I thought it was absolute heaven. I had NO side eddects. Not one...but the most amazing skin of my life...ahhhhh... Tell him to keep moisturing with a good oil free moisturizer and to use a good lip balm with no camphor (I think that's what it's called)....Not to worry- he'll be A-OK!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
and the only depression I suffered was when I found out I couldn't get more accutane!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah- I would also suggest green tea pills or just green tea. You can buy at any GNC. Also, I have found that oranges work wonders (eat em!)... Some very mild exfoliation twice a week should also help. Make sure it has no salicylic (spelling?) or other acid in it....ANd there is no moisturizer out there in this world better than Vaseline. It is a superficial moisturizer though...but it really helps and stays above the skin so it does not clog pores. It's awesome. Also, a saline nasal spray should help with the dry nose! And yes, I am OBSESSED with skin care.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results