shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever bought from Lang Antiques?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comments? Thoughts? Experiences? Will they bargain?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I frequently peruse their ****, um, listings, but I've never even emailed to ask about a price reduction- OMG they have some gorgeous stuff!

Whatcha looking at over there, care to share with the class?

(Unhelpful post is unhelpful, sorry :bigsmile:)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No but I wouldn't have a problem buying from them. They are straight forward, very professional. There is a ring I have been looking at for a while, just waiting to see if it drops in price.

I give them a thumbs up If that means anything... ;))

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I haven't purchased from them, but have dropped in several times when shopping in SF. Barbra is very, very nice and it did seem like there was some wiggle room on the prices, so you should give her a call. Their selection is spectacular :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for loving their site but not having any personal experience with them: if you do decide to lead the way, I hope you'll document the experience! Their stuff is gorgeous, but a tad too rich for my blood - they tend to be at the upper end of vintage pricing. And I, too, am deeply curious about what has caught your eye ....

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No bargaining that I've tried has worked to date. They will give you 3% for bank wire.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, but i did beat her out in buying a mali garnet from gene when he came to the bay area some years ago....and she was gracious about it! nice woman, knows her stuff, and i wouldn't hesitate in the least to buy from the shop.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1316647529|3022497 said:
No bargaining that I've tried has worked to date. They will give you 3% for bank wire.

OK then I think I am out on this one.

I went to some antique stores yesterday to get a feel for what was out there in my area (answer: nada) and one store had some nice vintage stuff. One piece was a victorian era cluster ring with a garnet center and old cuts around it, and when I tried it on PITTER PATTER! I loved it on my hand. That ring is out because some of the stones were obviously brown, and the setting was mucky (black in some areas, perhaps oxidizing silver?) and it is a garnet so not really good for daily wear, but the style was divine on my hand. Totally a swoon moment for the style of the ring, colored gem and all.

This ring from Lang's has similar proportions, but it is more than I would want to spend on something like that:

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-3893

langlovely.jpg

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness Dreamer, I don't post often but just had to say that ring is stunning!!! Its absolutely beautiful!!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
oh dear... that ring is a stunner... so beautiful!

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
A close friend of mine bought a vintage ring for his fiance (also a close friend) at Lang's. He raved about the experience, and she is absolutely in love with the ring. I'm local to the area and have been in the shop, and they were very nice to me despite the fact that I was just looking and had no intention to buy.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
look at the stats on the ring! wow! like i said, "knows her stuff"......and prices it accordingly. i don't think its overpriced....but i can understand not wanting to spend that kind of $ at this time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh 5K for that. I don't know on the one hand it's a very nice ruby and those are some beautiful and large old cuts. So I think it's appropriately priced. But overall I'm a diamond girl so... I think it's more than I would pay too since I'm not a colored stone aficionado. But if I loved rubies and old cuts, I'd pony up.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Lovely ring. For more ideas have a look at the ruby ring section at Berganza. com, there are more than 100 listed. Berganza is a London estate jeweller that sells thingsa like antique tiaras, and old silver from stately houses!. I bought a relatively inexpensive victorian ring from the and process went smoothly.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1316646245|3022480 said:
I frequently peruse their ****, um, listings, but I've never even emailed to ask about a price reduction- OMG they have some gorgeous stuff!

:bigsmile:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
LGK|1316646245|3022480 said:

they do carry incredible jewelry ****! :bigsmile: They are pricey,but they have a great selection and Ive seen several gents pieces that would be very happy in my home!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My avatar ring was purchased from Lang's. They have gorgeous jewelry on their site and even more stuff in their store. I bought mine in person and was too inexperienced with antiques at the time to bargain. I think their prices are a little on the high side but they don't sell any junk.

There is an armed guard at the door and you have to be buzzed in. They've got some drool worth bling in that place!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1316699986|3022882 said:
How about something like this from The Three Graces? The proportions are different but it's somewhat similar and the price is lower.
http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/12841-edwardian-pink-spinel-diamond-ring

Kismet I saw that piece and thought it looked very nice, but the color of the ruby is not as appealing. More importantly, Three Graces is unable at this time to help me with retun shipping from Canada in the event of a return, so I cannot shop there.

For anyone who wants to know, Langs does help Canadians to return items using their FedEx account and insurance.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
misssoph|1316661934|3022624 said:
Lovely ring. For more ideas have a look at the ruby ring section at Berganza. com, there are more than 100 listed. Berganza is a London estate jeweller that sells thingsa like antique tiaras, and old silver from stately houses!. I bought a relatively inexpensive victorian ring from the and process went smoothly.

Goodness, some of the stuff on that site is incredible!! I kind of wish you hadn't mentioned it...I've just spent about half a million dollars in my mind...

April20

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. I just spent a ton of time perusing their site. They have beautiful pieces. Unfortunately, everything I really loved was in the mid 5 figures. That'll never be happening.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
That type of ring used to be really common, at least in Sweden. That is a beautiful example at Langs but you can find nearly as fine ones for quite a bit less.

A couple of examples from an auction I am going to tomorrow.
If you are willing to consider an all diamond one, this one looked quite nice. All transitional cuts, 0.34ct center and 8 more trannys at 0.96tcw, the ring is platinum. Price is about 1000 canadian dollars.

This is the I am going to check out (thats why I am not linking). Sapphire surrounded by 10 OEC at 0.50tcw. It says that some are damaged so I am going to check that today, they usually consider normal chips that practically all old cuts have as damage. Currently this one is around $350.

mediumcluster.png

clustersaf.png

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Never bought from them but have had the opportunity to browse there and the staff was very, very nice. I tried on a lot of rings and they were very helpful and eager to see them on my finger, even though some of them cost almost what I make yearly.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
natascha|1316781012|3023741 said:
That type of ring used to be really common, at least in Sweden. That is a beautiful example at Langs but you can find nearly as fine ones for quite a bit less.

If you are willing to consider an all diamond one, this one looked quite nice. All transitional cuts, 0.34ct center and 8 more trannys at 0.96tcw, the ring is platinum. Price is about 1000 canadian dollars.

This is the I am going to check out (thats why I am not linking). Sapphire surrounded by 10 OEC at 0.50tcw. It says that some are damaged so I am going to check that today, they usually consider normal chips that practically all old cuts have as damage. Currently this one is around $350.

2K and change is pretty fair for that first ring! And I love the balance of it, and the cut of the center-stone - it's a very nice example. It will be ironic if I start perusing Swedish auction sites for deals ... truly a sign that the market has gone topsy-turvy!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
DreamerD I love that ring, the colour of the Ruby is beautiful. Great site, I spent a loooong time looking on there!

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1316787803|3023802 said:
natascha|1316781012|3023741 said:

2K and change is pretty fair for that first ring! And I love the balance of it, and the cut of the center-stone - it's a very nice example. It will be ironic if I start perusing Swedish auction sites for deals ... truly a sign that the market has gone topsy-turvy!

It was really nice looking, defiantly an impressive size and everything just works together. It gone up so now it's at 1060 USD. I used to have it's little sister, I called her cupcake. The design is just so well put together.

The world is pretty crazy over here old cuts are not well considered so you can find some very nice deals. Especially since the seem to disregard cut when pricing. Of course everything else is extremely expensive still.

Dreamer- I hope this shows that you can find something like that at a great price.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone, indeed you have shown me some excellent examples! I will keep my eyes open. Ebay is not my type of deal, but there are other sites too I can look into!

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
I've been into the store and they have AMAZING pieces. I almost bought a ring from there, but did not find that they negotiate on prices at all. For what I wanted I thought that it may be overpriced (http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/110-3-2873). I was drawn to the store after I heard it was where the biggest jewelry heist in SF history happened and I can see why. Everything they have is wonderful :appl: I hope someone has or ends up getting something from there because I would like to know about the experience.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
BF just purchased my e-ring from Lang Antiques (shameless "go look at my e-ring thread" https://www.pricescope.com/communit...antiques-e-ring.166523/#post-3032096#p3032096 :wink2: ), and I couldn't be happier with how it went.

B.E.G. and myself went there last weekend to peruse, and Maria was helping us. She was very kind, gracious, knowledgable, and totally indulged us while we tried on practically half the store! We were probably there for about 90 minutes, throughout which she was never pushy and always trying to help. Then we went back about an hour later after leaving the first time so I could have one last look at the ring I had unexpectedly fallen in love with, and she was happy to see us back.

This past weekend I took BF there to look at said ring, and Barbara worked with us on the purchase. No negotiating on price, but the transaction went smoothly and Barbara was also incredibly helpful. After we paid, she was gracious and let me try on a few other pretty things that had caught my eye.

So all in all, great experience with them and I'd highly recommend their shop to anyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results