shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else itching to travel again?

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
When Covid hit we were just a couple months away from a trip to Iceland. I was also supposed to go to England with my mom in September, 2020 but that was cancelled, too.
We considered pushing it back a year but as the pandemic unfolded it became clear 2021 was not going to be the year for travel either.
And with the variants of concern and my province's disappointing management of the vaccine situation, 2022 also isn't looking great for international travel.
Total first world problem, but I really miss travelling.
We think in 2022 we might play it safe and roadtrip to Quebec (we are Canadian). But who knows when flying will feel safe again.
Who else misses travelling? And where would you go?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should mention it... I think I've kind of lost the appetite for traveling during C19 .

I miss my family who are in a different (neighbouring) country and would love to see them asap. But I'll have to wait until mid -June (they say they'll offer the possibility to be vaccinated to everyone by June).

I've made so many travel plans for all of us , the kids, my mom, just myself, just my DS, us and our friends, ... ... all of which had to be cancelled due to Covid that I am truly exhausted by this. I guess I'll wait until it's truly over and see how we feel then...

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Alaska. For the last 2 years, we've planned a RV trip from the lower 48 to Alaska, but it looks like 2022 at the earliest. Along with a billion other Americans apparently!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I miss it SO much. Before COVID, DH and I would fly somewhere every other weekend. Experiences and travel bring me so much joy, and I feel like I've been stripped of it this last year. Unfortunately, I am very conservative with COVID precautions so it will be a long time until we will feel comfortable traveling. If/when COVID was/is over, we will go everywhere. I love nature and national parks, exploring new cities and cultures, and visiting family and friends.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and no. I would love to travel if that meant the kind of experience I could have pre-COVID. But actually planning anything right now with so many variables and things constantly in flux feels stressful and not worth it.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
We really miss traveling. Had to cancel a European trip with our son this April. Hoping to rebook for next April. Also canceled a trip to the Bahamas and a cruise. DH and I also love to travel and hope the end of 2021 and 2022 will work out ok. Have a trip planned to Sanibel, FL in December and keeping our fingers crossed. Decided to stay in the US for any travel this year.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do miss having the opportunity to travel, I had planned a trip overseas last year and honestly I didn't mind not going due to Covid but now due to Oz quarantine rules it seems no point in going anyway due at additional time & cost involved. In fact, the most frustrating part has been not being able to simply travel interstate to see friends & family.... :roll:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, we were really in san francisco when covid hit last year. I say this as our flights cancled more than three times on us -- once as the airline collapsed the route through hong kong, again as the airline cut the number of flights between SF and Singapore and I got messages at 3 am saying my flight no longer existed, and then a third time when the meeting we were in the US for spontaneously cancled and the university that subsequently offered to take us in/host us shut because of covid getting into the medical school. So we chose to move our flights to get home a little earlier, good thing too as they subsequently put everyone arriving from the US under mandatory hotel quarentine.

I was supposed to go to bristol 3 weeks later, in late april. And then to go to Melbourne in May. Both of which also cancled.

At the time I was actually relieved, it had been pretty stressful walking through airports (especially asian ones) which were almost ghost towns throughout feburary and march trying to stop a 2 year old from touching everything. We'd already traveled backwards and forwards to brisbane, and san francisco and my husband had also been in shenzhen over this period, and it had been massive additional stress. Nothing like what you would think traveling would be like. Just endless stress.

But I have actually never been away from my family as long as I have now, and I am beginning to really wish I could see them again. So I really miss the traveling. Our borders are all shut though, if you leave that is it you are locked out and cant neccessarily return home. So it will be a while.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really.

As I wrote in another thread while the pandemic is limiting travel the biggest limiting factor for us are our cats. So even after the pandemic is over and it is safe to travel I don't see how we are going to travel where an overnight stay or longer is involved just due to the fact we cannot leave our cats with anyone.

Tommy needs meds every twelve hours and he is extremely skittish with anyone but us and will definitely not take meds with anyone else. We even have issues sometimes getting him to take the meds.

And Oliver and Gracie would eat Tommy's and Bobby's food so we have to separate them at mealtime three times a day. Not easy for anyone else to do.
And on top of it all at every meal we have to coax Bobby and Tommy to eat. It's crazy but true.

So yeah unfortunately for us no travel. But it's OK.
They are our furry kids and we love them and it is our responsibility and no one else's.

Tommy and Bobby.

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 6.07.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 6.08.03 AM.png

Gracie and Oliver.

gracieinthesun.png

oliverlayingsweetly.png

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
It's the same for us. We have four horses, some pet sheep & a dog who all have special requirements due to temperments & other issues so we can't just leave them with someone else. I don't think anyone would want to look after my special needs pony who kicks & bites! I love them all & I'm quite prepared to make the sacrifice of no traveling

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t wait to travel again. We haven’t seen our only child since December 2019, and probably can’t visit till July. In that time he’s got married, so we missed that, and we just want to be able to see them again face to face.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Alaska. For the last 2 years, we've planned a RV trip from the lower 48 to Alaska, but it looks like 2022 at the earliest. Along with a billion other Americans apparently!

I miss traveling but am worried that when we finally feel comfortable going somewhere, it’s going to be full of other people! Lol
We just sold our vacation home which is bittersweet. It was the right move financially but I always had that to keep my spirits up knowing it was mine.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I can’t wait to travel again. We haven’t seen our only child since December 2019, and probably can’t visit till July. In that time he’s got married, so we missed that, and we just want to be able to see them again face to face.

Awwww. Our son got married last summer on the beach in NJ so the parents and siblings were able to attend. Hope you get to hug them soon!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the same for us. We have four horses, some pet sheep & a dog who all have special requirements due to temperments & other issues so we can't just leave them with someone else. I don't think anyone would want to look after my special needs pony who kicks & bites! I love them all & I'm quite prepared to make the sacrifice of no traveling

I am glad to see we aren't alone. I remember one road trip Greg and I took where we missed Billy (our cat) so much we ended the trip early to go back home and get him from my parents who were watching him. That was in 2007. I remember it so well because we were on Cape Cod having a terrific trip. So much fun but we kept thinking of Billy. He had diabetes and needed insulin twice a day but my parents were younger at the time and very competent to take care of him plus Billy was super friendly. Not skittish at all unlike our cats now. And he loved my parents so he was in great hands. But after a week away (our trip was for planned for two weeks) we just missed him soooo much that Greg and I looked at each other at the same time and said let's go back home and get Billy. So we did. LOL. They are our kids. They really are.

Billy in my parent's freezer when we were visiting with him one day. LOL his personality was over the top. He was the most loving cat and a mischievous little baby. And sweet like sugar. No, sweeter than sugar. He would greet everyone at the door. He had no fear. He loved people. He thought he was a person. He was incredible. RIP Billy. We will rejoin you one day. ❤️

BillyFreezer.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not entirely. Its mainly because I don't want to be around idiots.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wifey wants to go to Canada and see her mom very very badly. Her father passed away and she was not able to go to the funeral due to the travel restrictions.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
So much! But I think for the next year we'll probably only be traveling within the US, and probably only areas within driving distance, or places where a car isn't a necessity. The rental car shortage in the US right now is bonkers, and I wouldn't want to fly somewhere, and not be able to get the rental car the entire trip was based around.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we're going to Hawaii in June. I told my husband that I want to go on a cruise to Anarctica for my 60th birthday which is next year. I'm too old to put this off. One never knows....

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I really miss traveling. But I refuse to fly this year. I haven't seen my in-laws who are 2 states over for 5 months due to state travel bans. The ban was lifted last week and we saw them for an outdoor meal on Sunday and it was SO nice.

During that meal, I found out they booked a flight for next month and I about had a conniption. The timing was perfect as we were able to cancel their flight. :loopy:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ready to go out and about in my campervan shortly after 12 April 2021 when camp sites are allowed to re-open for units with their own facilities, can't wait!

I have a camping trip booked at least once a month from April till September 2021.

I may not want to risk travelling to France in September 2021 if travel restrictions still apply by then.

Likewise with my trip to Vancouver to see my folks which was postponed from last year - aiming for November 2021 if all goes according to plan.

DK :))

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always get wanderlust in the spring and the isolation of the past year has made me nostalgic. I want to repeat some of the things we did pre covid:

eat caviar and drink vodka on a park bench beside the Neva river in St. Petersburg;
eat baguette, olives and cheese and drink wine in Italy;
hike in the Picos de Europa and gorge on Asturian food;
nosh on baguette and cheese and drink champagne in France;
soak in a spa in Budapest;
spend a long time in my most loved places in Slovenia.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think we're going to Hawaii in June. I told my husband that I want to go on a cruise to Anarctica for my 60th birthday which is next year. I'm too old to put this off. One never knows....
If you have the time, include South Georgia (a must) and perhaps Falkland Islands in your Antarctica cruise. While Antarctica has exceptional glacier scenery, South Georgia has an abundance of penguins of various species. instead of doing a round trip from Buenos Aires crossing the infamous rocky Drake Passage twice, the longer trip crosses Drake Passage only once. Cruise duration ranges from 18 days to 22 days. Make sure that your cruise is an expedition type that includes landings, and not a drive-by. Expect to pay $$$, since the cruise is an expedition kind.
Agree with you that all expedition cruises/trips are best taken while we have an able body (strong heart and legs). Last July during the early peak of the pandemic, we signed up for 2022 Arctic expedition cruise (home of polar bears). At that time, it was scary to pay in full 2 years ahead for a cruise that might not happen, as we would not know how long the pandemic would last and if the cruise company would still be around. When we thought about our future age and health, we knew that it was a choice of taking the chance or never going at all.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have the time, include South Georgia (a must) and perhaps Falkland Islands in your Antarctica cruise. While Antarctica has exceptional glacier scenery, South Georgia has an abundance of penguins of various species. instead of doing a round trip from Buenos Aires crossing the infamous rocky Drake Passage twice, the longer trip crosses Drake Passage only once. Cruise duration ranges from 18 days to 22 days. Make sure that your cruise is an expedition type that includes landings, and not a drive-by. Expect to pay $$$, since the cruise is an expedition kind.
Agree with you that all expedition cruises/trips are best taken while we have an able body (strong heart and legs). Last July during the early peak of the pandemic, we signed up for 2022 Arctic expedition cruise (home of polar bears). At that time, it was scary to pay in full 2 years ahead for a cruise that might not happen, as we would not know how long the pandemic would last and if the cruise company would still be around. When we thought about our future age and health, we knew that it was a choice of taking the chance or never going at all.

And to @doberman

Excellent advice.

We visited the Falklands and Antarctica in December 2018 (and yes we hiked on the continent itself) on an expedition cruise. Hoping to return in December 2021, this time to include South Georgia. Both sailings with Silversea.

But beware, our next sailing cost more than my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond, lol.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As many of you know, I travel A LOT. All over the world. Coincidentally I was supposed to be in Austria, coming back from the European hot spot, the week most of the US shut down last year. My company asked me not to go so I ended up backing out of the trip (5 of the 7 others that went came back with covid!).

This has been a tough year for me, sitting at home. We did go to Aspen for my 50th birthday in September, but it was surreal.

The $$$ I've saved by not traveling has been redirected into sapphires, emeralds, and diamonds LOL.

But I can't WAIT to go SOMEWHERE. ANYWHERE!!!!!

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss it terribly and can't wait to start again. I usually take 4 or 5 trips a year. Last year Covid caused the cancellation of the first two (Switzerland and then Greece) and then we never booked the rest. At this point I'm not feeling confident that we can go anywhere this year. I don't just miss the travel, but also the planning. Figuring out where to go, where to stay and what to see is kind of a hobby so I miss that as well.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a 3 week holiday booked for Cyprus in August. We haven't technically booked it, as it was postponed from our booking for last August, but fingers crossed we get there. If not, c'est la vie.

I miss travelling. I miss hot sand between my toes & amazing sunsets of many colours.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for the great advice! I'm quite good about exercising, but own have another reason not to blow off my barre class.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And to @doberman

Excellent advice.

We visited the Falklands and Antarctica in December 2018 (and yes we hiked on the continent itself) on an expedition cruise. Hoping to return in December 2021, this time to include South Georgia. Both sailings with Silversea.

But beware, our next sailing cost more than my 2.79 F-VS1 CBI diamond, lol.

Oh good grief, the cost. I've been looking at that! Our Alaska cruise/land vacation last year cost a tidy sum; I expect this to be even worse. Which is why I will NOT be getting any ideal cut diamonds lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results